    drive, and ship it to them that way? Or is there a way to tell Windows to
    turn itself off after a week or so? The auction's almost over. I just
    don't want someone taking the PC and using my product key. thanks.

    Grappletech, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Grappletech

    Pen Guest

    Grappletech wrote:
    > I put a PC on ebay for sell, and I put in the ad, has Windows XP on it, but
    > you must use your own product key/copy. Because I want to retain my rights
    > to my Windows XP (full version). I guess I should just format the hard
    > drive, and ship it to them that way? Or is there a way to tell Windows to
    > turn itself off after a week or so? The auction's almost over. I just
    > don't want someone taking the PC and using my product key. thanks.

    Just format the drive. There are ways to change/delete the product key
    but I wouldn't risk it.
    Pen, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Grappletech

    j1mb0jay Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > Grappletech wrote:
    >> I put a PC on ebay for sell, and I put in the ad, has Windows XP on
    >> it, but you must use your own product key/copy. Because I want to retain
    >> my
    >> rights to my Windows XP (full version). I guess I should just format the
    >> hard drive, and ship it to them that way? Or is there a way to tell
    >> Windows to turn itself off after a week or so? The auction's almost
    >> over. I
    >> just don't want someone taking the PC and using my product key. thanks.

    >> Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
    >> in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server
    >> Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    > Just format the drive. There are ways to change/delete the product key
    > but I wouldn't risk it.

    If you formatte the machine like stated by "Pen" and then install XP on your
    machine all should be ok, if you ring the 0800 number on the CD case and
    tell Microsoft (if requested to ) all will be fine.
    --
    Regards JJ (UWA)
    j1mb0jay, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Grappletech

    Grappletech Guest

    > If you formatte the machine like stated by "Pen" and then install XP
    > on your machine all should be ok, if you ring the 0800 number on the
    > CD case and tell Microsoft (if requested to ) all will be fine.

    You mean format MY PC's HD (the one not being sold) and then reinstall XP
    and call the 800 number? Or should I format the PC's HD on the PC I'm
    auctioning? I just dont want the people who win the auction for the PC to
    use my version of XP and perhaps lock me out of using it on my other PC.
    It says in the auction "does have XP on it but you must use your own
    product key". I would change the auction's wording to say "HD is
    formatted and ready for your own OS", but ebay doesn't allow changes in the
    ad at all within 12 hours of the end of the auction.

    Grappletech, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Grappletech

    Pen Guest

    Grappletech wrote:
    >> If you formatte the machine like stated by "Pen" and then install XP
    >> on your machine all should be ok, if you ring the 0800 number on the
    >> CD case and tell Microsoft (if requested to ) all will be fine.

    > You mean format MY PC's HD (the one not being sold) and then reinstall XP
    > and call the 800 number? Or should I format the PC's HD on the PC I'm
    > auctioning? I just dont want the people who win the auction for the PC to
    > use my version of XP and perhaps lock me out of using it on my other PC.
    > It says in the auction "does have XP on it but you must use your own
    > product key". I would change the auction's wording to say "HD is
    > formatted and ready for your own OS", but ebay doesn't allow changes in the
    > ad at all within 12 hours of the end of the auction.

    The most bullet proof way is to format the drive in the PC being sold,
    then reinstall XP WITHOUT entering a key. That way they'll have a few
    days to enter their key.
    Pen, Mar 6, 2007
  6. Grappletech

    Grappletech Guest

    > The most bullet proof way is to format the drive in the PC being sold,
    > then reinstall XP WITHOUT entering a key. That way they'll have a few
    > days to enter their key.

    That's a great idea. I'll do that. But I thought you had to enter in a
    product key to start the XP installation?

    Grappletech, Mar 7, 2007
  7. Grappletech

    Neil Green Guest

    "Grappletech" <> wrote in message

    >> The most bullet proof way is to format the drive in
    >> the PC being sold,
    >> then reinstall XP WITHOUT entering a key. That way
    >> they'll have a few
    >> days to enter their key.

    > That's a great idea. I'll do that. But I thought
    > you had to enter in a
    > product key to start the XP installation?

    > Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in
    > the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total
    > Privacy via Encryption =----

    Change the key to a dodgy one.
    Whoever buys it will be locked out of Windows update,
    but you made that clear in the auction.
    Neil Green, Mar 7, 2007
  8. Grappletech

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:43:49 -0600, Grappletech wrote:

    > I put a PC on ebay for sell, and I put in the ad, has Windows XP on it,
    > but you must use your own product key/copy. Because I want to retain my
    > rights to my Windows XP (full version). I guess I should just format
    > the hard drive, and ship it to them that way? Or is there a way to tell
    > Windows to turn itself off after a week or so? The auction's almost
    > over. I just don't want someone taking the PC and using my product key.
    > thanks.

    What type of Windows XP is on the machine? Is it a White Box with an OEM
    full version or a retail full version from (like) Best Buy? Did it come
    already installed your PC?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Mar 9, 2007
  9. Grappletech

    grappletech Guest

    > What type of Windows XP is on the machine? Is it a White Box with an OEM
    > full version or a retail full version from (like) Best Buy? Did it come
    > already installed your PC?

    It was a retail full version that I bought separate from a PC. I solved
    the problem. I just reloaded Windows XP up to the point where it's on the
    HD but wants the serial #. But then a problem arised because I advertised
    it as having Linux on it also. It was worded in the auction as "has Win XP
    on it but you have to provide own product key, but has FULL verison of
    Linux" (dual partioned). And after I reloaded XP, everytime I'd reboot the
    PC, instead of going to the normal screen where you pick whether to boot to
    Linux or Win XP, it'd instead go straight to Windows XP setup and demand
    the product key, thus not allowing you to boot to Linux. So I stuck my
    XandrOS Linux cd-rom in and reloaded Linux, and then after that I got my
    screen back where it lets you load Linux or XP. So then I was able to ship
    the PC out to the customer, with a working OS on it (XandrOS Linux). I had
    to be careful, because the lady who bought the PC doesn't know much about
    PC's and she needed it to be operational out of the box.

    grappletech, Mar 9, 2007