    http://www.camerahacker.com/Techniques/Print_Crop_Tool/

    Chieh

    , Mar 9, 2006

  2. J. A. Mc. Guest

    On 9 Mar 2006 15:16:04 -0800, found these unused words
    floating about:

    >For years, I have been using a small program I wrote on my HP48
    >calculator to figure out the proper image crop size for a particular
    >print size. I have finally ported that tool to Java so that anyone with
    >a web browser could use it. At the same time, I wrote up an article on
    >how any why you would want to perform this crop. I hope it's helpful to
    >you:
    >
    >http://www.camerahacker.com/Techniques/Print_Crop_Tool/
    >
    >Chieh

    What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?

    Worked well for me for over 10 years!

    J. A. Mc., Mar 10, 2006

  3. theo Guest

    > What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
    >
    > Worked well for me for over 10 years!

    Do you also feel so defensive about using your Hummer to transport the
    golf clubs to the car wash for a wax'n'buff job?
    Regards,
    Theo

    theo, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Tesco News Guest

    "theo" <> wrote in message
    >> What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
    >>
    >> Worked well for me for over 10 years!
    >>

    > Do you also feel so defensive about using your Hummer to transport the
    > golf clubs to the car wash for a wax'n'buff job?
    > Regards,
    > Theo

    Hi there.

    Why do you seem to be irritated at JA Mc for stating the obvious. This is
    alt.grapics.photoshop, so presumably most of the posters and readers will
    have used photoshop, and it has a Crop Tool.

    I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a different & rather
    strange program to work out that in order to get a 10 x 8 print, the crop
    sizes should be set to 10 x 8. It does not actually do any cropping it just
    works out what settings to use.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 10, 2006
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:04:08 GMT, Tesco News wrote:

    > Why do you seem to be irritated at JA Mc for stating the obvious. This is
    > alt.grapics.photoshop, so presumably most of the posters and readers will
    > have used photoshop, and it has a Crop Tool.
    >
    > I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a different & rather
    > strange program to work out that in order to get a 10 x 8 print, the crop
    > sizes should be set to 10 x 8. It does not actually do any cropping it just
    > works out what settings to use.

    The irritation might be understood a bit better if you check the
    message's header, where you can see that this thread did not go out
    to only alt.graphics.photoshop, but rec.photo.digital and
    alt.photography as well, where presumably many people crop photos
    using inexpensive or free programs (such as IrfanView), and might
    think it odd that J. A. Mc would question the need for Chieh's offer
    of a free Print_Crop_Tool. Buy PS just to get crop info? :)

    ASAAR, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Guest

    > What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
    > Worked well for me for over 10 years!

    First of all, I haven't said that there is anything wrong with the
    built-in tool in PS. But since you have invited me to tell you what's
    wrong with it, I will go home this weekend, play around with it, and
    make a list of what's wrong with it (if any).

    In general, the concept is to understand what these number means, and
    how it could be applicable to cropping your photo for printing. Once
    you understand how to apply it, you can crop your digital photo in any
    way shape or form using any photo manipulation software.

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    , Mar 10, 2006
  7. Fishface Guest

    Chieh wrote:
    > For years, I have been using a small program I wrote on my HP48
    > calculator to figure out the proper image crop size for a particular
    > print size. I have finally ported that tool to Java so that anyone with
    > a web browser could use it. At the same time, I wrote up an article
    > on how any why you would want to perform this crop.

    I use this, it's free, and I like it:
    http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

    Fishface, Mar 12, 2006
  8. Dave Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:24:24 GMT, "Fishface" <?>
    wrote:

    > Chieh wrote:
    >> For years, I have been using a small program

    >I use this, it's free, and I like it:
    >http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

    This works bloody good! The whole website
    is cropped out.

    Dave

    Dave, Mar 12, 2006
  9. barry in indy, Mar 13, 2006
  10. DP_Pro Guest

    I have to say, this is a neat little program for a photographer for a
    printer. The interface is very well written, and I feel the program
    has been well thought out and functional.

    Photoshop has nothing like this (even bridge doesn't come close to the
    user-friendliness of this program). The best part is you don't need to
    have Photoshop to get the benefits from this program.

    I am making it available to everyone I know that needs a quick utility
    like this.

    Very nice work!

    DP_Pro, Mar 13, 2006