  1. Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS Photo
    Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?

    -John
    remove the pachyderm, Jan 19, 2004

  2. remove the pachyderm

    Bob Guest

    Try JPEGCrops - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/download.html
    Bob, Jan 20, 2004

  3. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    remove the pachyderm wrote:

    > Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS Photo
    > Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?
    >
    > -John

    Irfanview crops what you see. It doesn't change the aspect ratio.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 20, 2004
  4. remove the pachyderm

    Wayne Smith Guest

    IrfanView - Edit - Create Custom Selection - Actual Ratio (from
    image). But, it's not nearly as convenient as Photoshop Elements,
    for example.

    --
    Wayne Smith
    Wayne Smith, Jan 20, 2004
  5. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Wayne Smith wrote:

    > IrfanView - Edit - Create Custom Selection - Actual Ratio (from
    > image). But, it's not nearly as convenient as Photoshop Elements,
    > for example.
    >

    > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:14:47 -0800, "remove the pachyderm"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS Photo
    >>Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?
    >>
    >>-John
    >>

    > --
    > Wayne Smith

    open picture. Click in the picture and drag box to enclose what you
    want to keep. Click on edit/crop selection. Done.
    Really difficult.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 20, 2004
  6. >>Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS
    Photo
    >>Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?

    I've got my own home-grown package which does this. Send me a private email
    to if you would like a beta copy to try.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jan 20, 2004
  7. remove the pachyderm

    gr Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote

    > open picture. Click in the picture and drag box to enclose what you
    > want to keep. Click on edit/crop selection. Done.
    > Really difficult.

    You seem to have difficulty with the concept of "fixed aspect ratio". Really
    difficult.
    gr, Jan 20, 2004
  8. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    gr wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    >
    >>open picture. Click in the picture and drag box to enclose what you
    >>want to keep. Click on edit/crop selection. Done.
    >>Really difficult.

    > You seem to have difficulty with the concept of "fixed aspect ratio". Really
    > difficult.

    You seem to have a problem with understanding that Irfanview doesn't
    mess with aspect ratio during croping. It simply takes the area you
    select, and discards the rest. This does not affect the aspect ratio.
    It DOES affect the length to width ratio, but it will NOT distort the
    picture. And it IS simple.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 20, 2004
  9. remove the pachyderm

    Don Stauffer Guest

    If your editor doesn't have that feature per se, many do have ruler
    displays running along top and side that can sure help. Check in the
    View menu.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Ron Hunter wrote:

    > You seem to have a problem with understanding that Irfanview
    > doesn't mess with aspect ratio during croping. It simply takes
    > the area you select, and discards the rest. This does not affect
    > the aspect ratio. It DOES affect the length to width ratio, [..]

    The length to width ratio _is_ the aspect ratio.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aspect ratio&r=67

    > but it will NOT distort the picture.

    That's another matter. You're mixing concepts.
    Toke Eskildsen, Jan 20, 2004
  11. remove the pachyderm

    Carver33 Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS Photo
    >Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?
    >
    >-John

    A program with several built in and user defineable (sp) length to
    width ratios is Photo-Brush. It's not free, but dirt cheap ($38). Can
    be found at: http://www.mediachance.com/pbrush/ when servers are
    not too busy. I believe there is a free trial.

    HTH
    Bill
    Carver33, Jan 20, 2004
  12. remove the pachyderm

    Wayne Smith Guest

    On 20 Jan 2004 17:05:50 GMT, Toke Eskildsen <>
    wrote:

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> You seem to have a problem with understanding that Irfanview
    >> doesn't mess with aspect ratio during croping. It simply takes
    >> the area you select, and discards the rest. This does not affect
    >> the aspect ratio. It DOES affect the length to width ratio, [..]

    >The length to width ratio _is_ the aspect ratio.
    >
    >http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aspect ratio&r=67
    >
    >> but it will NOT distort the picture.

    >That's another matter. You're mixing concepts.

    Thanks for stepping in, GR and TOKE; I really didn't feel like
    adjusting his comprehension ratio! ;-)

    --
    Wayne Smith
    Wayne Smith, Jan 21, 2004
  13. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Wayne Smith wrote:
    > On 20 Jan 2004 17:05:50 GMT, Toke Eskildsen <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>

    >>>You seem to have a problem with understanding that Irfanview
    >>>doesn't mess with aspect ratio during croping. It simply takes
    >>>the area you select, and discards the rest. This does not affect
    >>>the aspect ratio. It DOES affect the length to width ratio, [..]

    >>The length to width ratio _is_ the aspect ratio.
    >>
    >>http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aspect ratio&r=67
    >>

    >>>but it will NOT distort the picture.

    >>That's another matter. You're mixing concepts.

    > Thanks for stepping in, GR and TOKE; I really didn't feel like
    > adjusting his comprehension ratio! ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Smith

    I don't think either of you understand that there are two 'aspect
    ratios' involved here. One is the length/width of the portion remaining
    after a crop action. Note that cropping may pick out any rectangular
    area of the picture, and be any length/width. If it changes the
    relationship of the length of the IMAGE to the width of the IMAGE, then
    it isn't preserving the aspect ratio. If if doesn't change that
    relationship, then it IS preserving the aspect ratio, regardless of the
    end shape of the REMAINING part of the original.
    Why is this so difficult to understand?
    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2004
  14. remove the pachyderm

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:19:27 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Wayne Smith wrote:
    >
    >> IrfanView - Edit - Create Custom Selection - Actual Ratio (from
    >> image). But, it's not nearly as convenient as Photoshop Elements,
    >> for example.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:14:47 -0800, "remove the pachyderm"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it possible to crop while preserving the aspect ratio, in either MS Photo
    >>>Editor or IrfanView? Or is there any other free software that does this?
    >>>
    >>>-John
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Wayne Smith

    >open picture. Click in the picture and drag box to enclose what you
    >want to keep. Click on edit/crop selection. Done.
    >Really difficult.

    What bit of "*FIXED* aspect ratio" don't you really understand?

    Of course editing packages allow you to drag an area to crop & I guess
    everyone knows how to.

    What I, and it think the original poster wants, is to be able to set
    the drag to say a width (or) height crop and have the other dimension
    auto size itself to give an aspect ratio of the required print.

    IE: presettable aspect ratio of a 6x4 or A4 so that when cropped, the
    enlarged/reduced image will fit into the target output without leaving
    an uneven border.

    I use PSP8 & Photoshop 7 & do a lot of resizing for web pages - I sure
    would like a plug-in that would snap the crop handles to the preset
    aspect ratio. Amazing it is not part of the two top packages. (If it
    is, I aint found it yet....

    Hey Adobe and Jasc, add it to the wish list!

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jan 21, 2004
  15. remove the pachyderm

    Canopus Guest

    "Donald Gray" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:19:27 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    > I use PSP8 & Photoshop 7 & do a lot of resizing for web pages - I sure
    > would like a plug-in that would snap the crop handles to the preset
    > aspect ratio. Amazing it is not part of the two top packages. (If it
    > is, I aint found it yet....
    >
    > Hey Adobe and Jasc, add it to the wish list!
    >

    > --
    > Donald Gray
    > Putting ODCOMBE on the Global Village Map!
    > www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    > You do not have to email me, but if you wish to...
    > Please remove the SafetyPin from my email address first
    > Thanks

    In PSP 8 (and 7 as far as I know) either tick the box that says Maintain
    Picture Ratio in the resize dialogue box or else hold down Shift while
    dragging the handles.

    Rob
    Canopus, Jan 21, 2004
  16. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Donald Gray wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:19:27 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Wayne Smith wrote:
    >>

    >>>IrfanView - Edit - Create Custom Selection - Actual Ratio (from
    >>>image). But, it's not nearly as convenient as Photoshop Elements,
    >>>for example.

    >>>--
    >>>Wayne Smith

    >>open picture. Click in the picture and drag box to enclose what you
    >>want to keep. Click on edit/crop selection. Done.
    >>Really difficult.

    > What bit of "*FIXED* aspect ratio" don't you really understand?
    >
    > Of course editing packages allow you to drag an area to crop & I guess
    > everyone knows how to.
    >
    > What I, and it think the original poster wants, is to be able to set
    > the drag to say a width (or) height crop and have the other dimension
    > auto size itself to give an aspect ratio of the required print.
    >
    > IE: presettable aspect ratio of a 6x4 or A4 so that when cropped, the
    > enlarged/reduced image will fit into the target output without leaving
    > an uneven border.
    >
    > I use PSP8 & Photoshop 7 & do a lot of resizing for web pages - I sure
    > would like a plug-in that would snap the crop handles to the preset
    > aspect ratio. Amazing it is not part of the two top packages. (If it
    > is, I aint found it yet....
    >
    > Hey Adobe and Jasc, add it to the wish list!

    I KNOW what he wanted, but that is NOT what he said.
    What he WANTS is called 'resize', and Irfanview will do it.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2004
  17. remove the pachyderm

    gr Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote

    [snip]

    > Why is this so difficult to understand?

    I don't know why you find it so difficult to understand his request. It's
    very clear he's asking for software that preserves the aspect ratio of the
    image, such as 4:3 or 3:2 or whatever. Why you can't understand that is
    anybody's guess, but perhaps it's from brain trauma, low intelligence, or
    just plain arrogance and a refusal to admit you are wrong.
    gr, Jan 21, 2004
  18. remove the pachyderm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    gr wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >>Why is this so difficult to understand?

    > I don't know why you find it so difficult to understand his request. It's
    > very clear he's asking for software that preserves the aspect ratio of the
    > image, such as 4:3 or 3:2 or whatever. Why you can't understand that is
    > anybody's guess, but perhaps it's from brain trauma, low intelligence, or
    > just plain arrogance and a refusal to admit you are wrong.

    No, it from a desire to have people use the right terminology to
    describe what they want to do. As I said, he want to resize the
    picture, NOT crop it. One can crop, then resize, and most programs can
    be made to maintain the image's aspect ratio (ie, not distort the
    image), OR then can distort the image to fit the size required.
    Basically you have to say what you want in order to get the right answer.

    Now, does anyone know of a program that will let you put a box on the
    screen that is the size (scaled) of a 4x6, 5x7, 6x9, or definable value,
    and move it around the image so that the best fit is found, THEN call
    the crop routine? I don't, but sure would like such a program.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2004
  19. remove the pachyderm

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Ron Hunter <> stated that:

    >Now, does anyone know of a program that will let you put a box on the
    >screen that is the size (scaled) of a 4x6, 5x7, 6x9, or definable value,
    >and move it around the image so that the best fit is found, THEN call
    >the crop routine? I don't, but sure would like such a program.

    CaptureOne & PhotoShop can both do that directly from the crop tools.

    Lionel, Jan 21, 2004
  20. Kodak EasyShare does this, both the Mac and Windows versions and it's free

    www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    William Jackson, Jan 21, 2004