How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrink to640x480 pixels?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Mar 6, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    My SLR takes large pictures which I often crop by hand but I
    wish to crop at a 4:3 aspect ratio for when I shrink the
    cropped results to 640x480 pixels.

    The problem is that I don't know how to crop a photo by hand
    to a 4:3 aspect ratio (I use Gimp & Kolourpaint on Linux).

    Is there a way to lock the manual crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio?
     
    Danny D., Mar 6, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On 03/05/2013 07:03 PM, Danny D. wrote:
    > My SLR takes large pictures which I often crop by hand but I
    > wish to crop at a 4:3 aspect ratio for when I shrink the
    > cropped results to 640x480 pixels.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't know how to crop a photo by hand
    > to a 4:3 aspect ratio (I use Gimp & Kolourpaint on Linux).
    >
    > Is there a way to lock the manual crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio?


    GIMP...

    Tools | Selection Tools | Rectangle Select
    Checkmark "Fixed: Aspect ratio"
    Enter "4:3"
    Select the 4:3 area you want.
    Image | Crop to selection
     
    Hurtlin' Squirty, Mar 6, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Danny D.

    Dave Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 03:03:38 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

    > My SLR takes large pictures which I often crop by hand but I wish to
    > crop at a 4:3 aspect ratio for when I shrink the cropped results to
    > 640x480 pixels.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't know how to crop a photo by hand to a 4:3
    > aspect ratio (I use Gimp & Kolourpaint on Linux).
    >
    > Is there a way to lock the manual crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio?


    http://shallowsky.com/blog/gimp/gimp-tool-presets.html

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux User #444770
    Fedora
     
    Dave, Mar 6, 2013
    #3
  4. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:29:35 -0800 Savageduck wrote:

    > In Lightroom & Photoshop there is, as for GIMP, the regular users of
    > GIMP in the photogroups might be able to provide a solution.


    I do not have or know Lightroom or Photoshop (I'm a freeware addict);
    but, how do 'they' do it?

    Do they simply give a readout at the bottom of the ratio, which you
    manually adjust as you're drawing out the cropping borders?

    Or do they have a 'cookie cutter' type stamping tool where you can sweep
    out an area and then click a button to force it to the 4:3 ratio?
     
    Danny D., Mar 6, 2013
    #4
  5. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:30:03 -0800 Hurtlin' Squirty wrote:

    >> Is there a way to lock the manual crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio?

    >
    > GIMP...
    > Tools | Selection Tools | Rectangle Select Checkmark "Fixed: Aspect
    > ratio"
    > Enter "4:3"
    > Select the 4:3 area you want.
    > Image | Crop to selection


    Ooooooh. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

    Here's a screenshot of that operation in action on a photo of
    google bikes I took yesterday at google hq:
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12350919/img/12350919.png

    The "aspect ratio" setting locks the crop box so that you can't crop any
    other aspect ratio save the one chosen!

    Thanks!
     
    Danny D., Mar 6, 2013
    #5
  6. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 12:51:30 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

    > I do not have or know Lightroom or Photoshop (I'm a freeware addict);
    > but, how do 'they' do it?


    No need to respond to this one as The Gimp did the trick, and,
    I see 'how' they do it.

    Basically, you just type in the desired aspect ratio, and the crop
    command won't let you sweep out a box of any other aspect ratio.

    Elegant & simple!
     
    Danny D., Mar 6, 2013
    #6
  7. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 06:54:31 -0800 Savageduck wrote:

    > BTW: This is what the LR4 4:3 crop looks like in action.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_147.jpg >


    Oooh. That is very nicely done.
    I see the "rule of threes" grid is included in the LR4 crop!

    By way of comparison, my corresponding "bicycle" picture of
    The GIMP 4:3 rectangular select is here (where I have superimposed two
    rectangular selects to indicate what the GUI looks like):
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12350919/img/12350919.png

    Note: I was sitting outside Google HQ trying to get a shot of two
    google bikes in action with the wheels of the bikes forming a
    gOOgle ... I failed - but I will try again soon.
     
    Danny D., Mar 7, 2013
    #7
  8. Danny D.

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On 03/06/2013 06:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > In both LR and PS the "crop" tool is a rectangular selection tool
    > (separate from the actual rectangular selection tool which is not locked
    > to selected ratios) which can be set to a specific aspect ratio or size
    > and resolution. It is then used to select the area to be cropped. There
    > are standard presets available and you can create your own set of custom
    > crop tools.
    >
    > That is the way they do it, as I said with GIMP you will have to get
    > advice from others. I have GIMP installed, but my preferred editors
    > remain LR4 and CS5.


    I do it differently in Photoshop. Using the rectangular marquee tool,
    you choose the aspect ratio from the pulldown menu at the top called,
    "Style", where you can choose from Normal (default), Fixed Aspect Ratio,
    or Fixed Size.

    Jon
     
    Jon Danniken, Mar 7, 2013
    #8
  9. Danny D.

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrinkto 640x480 pixels?

    On 03/07/2013 08:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-03-07 07:14:50 -0800, Jon Danniken
    > <> said:
    >
    >> On 03/06/2013 06:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In both LR and PS the "crop" tool is a rectangular selection tool
    >>> (separate from the actual rectangular selection tool which is not locked
    >>> to selected ratios) which can be set to a specific aspect ratio or size
    >>> and resolution. It is then used to select the area to be cropped. There
    >>> are standard presets available and you can create your own set of custom
    >>> crop tools.
    >>>
    >>> That is the way they do it, as I said with GIMP you will have to get
    >>> advice from others. I have GIMP installed, but my preferred editors
    >>> remain LR4 and CS5.

    >>
    >> I do it differently in Photoshop. Using the rectangular marquee tool,
    >> you choose the aspect ratio from the pulldown menu at the top called,
    >> "Style", where you can choose from Normal (default), Fixed Aspect
    >> Ratio, or Fixed Size.
    >>
    >> Jon

    >
    > Yup!
    > I was just showing how the fixed ratio works in LR. In PS ( in my case
    > CS5) there is more than one way to do the job. Using the rectangular
    > marquee tool is one. However, when you make the selection with that tool
    > you lose three of the benefits of using the crop tool, especially when
    > it comes to composition.
    > 1: With the crop tool you have a election of guide overlays including a
    > "Rule of Thirds" overlay grid.
    > 2: You can move the image under the selected cop area.
    > 3: along with being able to set either the crop ratio or size, you can
    > specify the crop resolution.
    >
    > So remember when you use the rectangular marquee tool all you are doing
    > is making a selection, it will work for a crop, but there is a better,
    > dedicated tool for that.
    >
    > Here is a 4:3 crop on CS5 using the crop tool.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_148.jpg >


    Interesting, thanks for that. I have never used the crop tool before,
    but I'll have to play around with it now.

    Jon
    >
     
    Jon Danniken, Mar 7, 2013
    #9
  10. Danny D.

    Peter Jason Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrink to 640x480 pixels?

    On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 03:03:38 +0000 (UTC), "Danny
    D." <> wrote:

    >My SLR takes large pictures which I often crop by hand but I
    >wish to crop at a 4:3 aspect ratio for when I shrink the
    >cropped results to 640x480 pixels.
    >
    >The problem is that I don't know how to crop a photo by hand
    >to a 4:3 aspect ratio (I use Gimp & Kolourpaint on Linux).
    >
    >Is there a way to lock the manual crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio?



    I do this in PS6 by fixing the ratio 2:3 and
    dragging to isolate the interesting bits and then
    cropping. Then save to a suitable size.
     
    Peter Jason, Mar 7, 2013
    #10
  11. Danny D.

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: How to crop large pictures to a 4:3 aspect ratio to then shrink to 640x480 pixels?

    On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:51:30 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    <> wrote:
    : On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:29:35 -0800 Savageduck wrote:
    :
    : > In Lightroom & Photoshop there is, as for GIMP, the regular users of
    : > GIMP in the photogroups might be able to provide a solution.
    :
    : I do not have or know Lightroom or Photoshop (I'm a freeware addict);
    : but, how do 'they' do it?
    :
    : Do they simply give a readout at the bottom of the ratio, which you
    : manually adjust as you're drawing out the cropping borders?
    :
    : Or do they have a 'cookie cutter' type stamping tool where you can sweep
    : out an area and then click a button to force it to the 4:3 ratio?

    In Digital Photo Professional (which I've used for several years) it's the
    other way around. You can set the aspect ratio, which is then preserved in any
    area you sweep out. You can move the frame around or change its size, but its
    aspect ratio will remain constant.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Mar 8, 2013
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AVI aspect ratio

    , Jul 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,500
    John H. Guillory
    Jul 12, 2004
  2. remove the pachyderm

    How to crop w/ fixed aspect ratio?

    remove the pachyderm, Jan 19, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    49
    Views:
    10,696
    Roger Halstead
    Jan 25, 2004
  3. Replies:
    11
    Views:
    4,673
    escapeartist69
    Sep 21, 2004
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,292
    Owl Jolson
    Sep 10, 2004
  5. Wally
    Replies:
    31
    Views:
    976
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Feb 12, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page