how to create hard drive image

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I do regular backups of my data onto tape drives and have for years. It's
    saved my butt more than once. But from what I read it seems like it be
    easier to create "images" of my hard drives and restore from them? If so, a
    few specific questions:

    I've used image files before but I don't know how to MAKE one. Do I need to
    spend the $70 on Drive Image or something similar, or are there cheaper
    and/or better alternatives?

    Do I *have* to put every file on the hard drive onto the image, or can I
    have it skip certain folders?

    If I create an image file, can I restore individual files from it or just
    overwrite my whole hard drive?

    If I create the image file on a networked hard drive, and if it's less than
    4.7GB, can I then burn it onto a DVD-ROM and use it to restore using my old
    Norton Ghost on a floppy disk after I boot to a DOS prompt?

    TIA-WC
    WCH, Aug 1, 2004

  2. WCH

    Michael-NC Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
    > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
    > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements and
    > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

    it
    > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

    don't
    > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
    > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
    > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
    >
    > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
    > software?

    For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
    news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
    to use Linux.

    BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
    Michael-NC, Aug 1, 2004

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
    > > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
    > > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

    and
    > > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

    > it
    > > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

    > don't
    > > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
    > > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
    > > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
    > >
    > > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
    > > software?

    > For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
    > news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
    > to use Linux.
    >
    > BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.

    I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
    not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the company.
    My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
    Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before I
    installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

    BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?
    WCH, Aug 1, 2004
  4. WCH

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:56:53 +0000, WCH wrote:

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
    >> > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
    >> > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

    > and
    >> > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

    >> it
    >> > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

    >> don't
    >> > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
    >> > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
    >> > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
    >> >
    >> > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
    >> > software?

    >> For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
    >> news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
    >> to use Linux.
    >>
    >> BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
    >>

    > I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
    > not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the company.
    > My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
    > Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before I
    > installed it. Isn't that just prudent?
    >
    > BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?

    Well use partimage or mondo to create images of your Windows partitions if
    you dual boot. If not DL Knoppix 3.4 and use that. New versions of all
    three can write to NTFS with caveats, IIRC. PQ Drive Image 7 comes with DI
    2002.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Aug 1, 2004
  5. WCH

    Michael-NC Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up

    PowerQuest
    > > > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
    > > > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

    > and
    > > > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or

    whatever
    > > it
    > > > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

    > > don't
    > > > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
    > > > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier

    versions
    > > > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
    > > >
    > > > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
    > > > software?

    > > For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a

    MS
    > > news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned,

    learn
    > > to use Linux.
    > >
    > > BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
    > >

    > I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
    > not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the

    company.
    > My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
    > Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before

    > installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

    Not really, you're already using MS ware as your operating system and
    newsreader. Just install it, it's not evil. You may try www.google.com as
    well.

    > BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?

    Don't believe so.
    Michael-NC, Aug 1, 2004
  6. WCH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I got all my
    new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a never will be
    *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine soon.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 1, 2004
  7. WCH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "WCH" <> wrote in message

    > PowerQuest

    >> and

    > whatever
    >> > it
    >> > don't

    > versions

    >> > For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and
    >> > using a

    > MS
    >> > news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo
    >> > concerned,

    > learn
    >> > to use Linux.
    >> >
    >> > BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
    >> >

    >> I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS.
    >> I'm not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of
    >> the

    > company.
    >> My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not*
    >> written by Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and
    >> what it does before

    >> installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

    > Not really, you're already using MS ware as your operating system and
    > newsreader. Just install it, it's not evil. You may try www.google.com
    > as well.

    If a solution is managed code which uses the .Net Framework, then the
    ..Net Framework will be required.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 1, 2004
  8. WCH

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:41:05 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I got all my
    > new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a never will be
    > *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine soon.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
    Exterminate! Exterminate!
    ....but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head on the
    same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off embarressed. > ;)

    --
    http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php
    Parko, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Duane Arnold, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    wrote:

    > Well well, I'll show you who the best ever-grinning retard is! Me!

    Tell us something we don't know.
    Himalayan sushie, Aug 2, 2004
  10. WCH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Parko <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:41:05 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I
    >> got all my new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a
    >> never will be *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine
    >> soon.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
    > Exterminate! Exterminate!
    > ...but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head on
    > the same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off embarressed.
    > > ;)

    I am not about to duel boot shit with MS and Linux on the machine. Linux
    is not my livelihood and therefore, I am not going to get into all of
    that. It's not about the little BS people like you seem to be hung up on
    about some ridiculous little boy's game between MS vs. Linux either.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 2, 2004
  11. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Whether I use PowerQuest or Acronis, will the image file I create be
    readable by any software which reads image files? In other words, will I
    *have* to use their software to read their images? I hope to create
    "universal" image files. Will that be a problem?
    WC

    WCH, Aug 2, 2004
  12. WCH

    Parko Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:29:24 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Parko <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:41:05 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I
    >>> got all my new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a
    >>> never will be *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine
    >>> soon.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
    >> Exterminate! Exterminate!
    >> ...but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head on
    >> the same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off embarressed.
    >> > ;)

    > I am not about to duel boot shit with MS and Linux on the machine. Linux
    > is not my livelihood and therefore, I am not going to get into all of
    > that. It's not about the little BS people like you seem to be hung up on
    > about some ridiculous little boy's game between MS vs. Linux either.
    >
    > Duane :)

    It's dual boot. If you can't work out the difference between dual and
    duel you're better off sticking to the shallow end of the gene pool.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    And now for something completely different...first para.
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=267
    Parko, Aug 2, 2004
  13. WCH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Parko <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:29:24 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Parko <> wrote in

    >>> Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
    >>> Exterminate! Exterminate!
    >>> ...but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head
    >>> on the same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off
    >>> embarressed.
    >>>

    >> I am not about to duel boot shit with MS and Linux on the machine.
    >> Linux is not my livelihood and therefore, I am not going to get into
    >> all of that. It's not about the little BS people like you seem to be
    >> hung up on about some ridiculous little boy's game between MS vs.
    >> Linux either.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > It's dual boot. If you can't work out the difference between dual and
    > duel you're better off sticking to the shallow end of the gene pool.

    Whatever you little *bitch* and you can take the dule or the dual and
    stick it down one hole and up the other one.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 2, 2004
  14. WCH

    Jimmy Guest

    Funny I use power quest 8

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004
  15. WCH

    Michael-NC Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > Whether I use PowerQuest or Acronis, will the image file I create be
    > readable by any software which reads image files? In other words, will I
    > *have* to use their software to read their images? I hope to create
    > "universal" image files. Will that be a problem?
    > WC

    It's possible that a third party viewer can read the image but I doubt that
    would be advisable or necessary.

    Michael-NC, Aug 2, 2004