    disc (just as we did mp3's on cd-r).

    how can i do this?

    thanks,

    Kryptoknight, May 31, 2004

  2. Kryptoknight

    Biz Guest

    "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    news:ToIuc.102428$...
    > what i want to do seems simple, but is not easy for some reason.
    >
    > all i want to do is take PCM Wav files and create a dvd-audio disc. my car
    > cd player plays dvd audio, so i want to put lots of my music down onto dvd
    > disc (just as we did mp3's on cd-r).
    >
    > how can i do this?
    >
    > thanks,

    Does your car stereo play DVD-Audio or just pcm-audio written to dvd?

    Biz, May 31, 2004

  3. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3 formats, PCM, DTS, or
    MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most supported.

    i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data files, needs to be in
    dvd format.

    i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes dvd-audio discs... i did
    not try it yet...

    Kryptoknight, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Kryptoknight

    luminos Guest

    DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD. It is a completely separate format, with
    different specifications.

    The software for this is at:

    http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/

    luminos, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    on the DVD it is in dvd-audio format, i did not mean simply burn PCM data
    tracks....

    the source for audio tracks must be either PCM, DTS, or MPEG encoded (PCM
    wav files work just fine, either mono, stereo or 5.1 channel). dvd audio
    spec allows for greater dynamics in the encoding, i am only able to rip
    48Khz/24bit from CDA using NeroExpress (of the ripper tools i have NE rips
    the fastest), and not that does me any good since the source is
    44Khz/16bit.....

    i bought minnetonka bronze, waiting for it to arrive.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    : i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3 formats, PCM, DTS,
    or
    : MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most supported.

    ===================
    But DVD-Audio is different.
    You are not talking about DVD-Audio.
    You appear to be talking about the audio from a normal DVD.
    Correct?
    =========================
    :
    : i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data files, needs to
    be in
    : dvd format.
    :
    : i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes dvd-audio discs... i
    did
    : not try it yet...
    :
    : "Biz" <> wrote in message
    : news:2QKuc.15342$...
    : >
    : > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > news:ToIuc.102428$...
    : > > what i want to do seems simple, but is not easy for some reason.
    : > >
    : > > all i want to do is take PCM Wav files and create a dvd-audio
    disc. my
    : car
    : > > cd player plays dvd audio, so i want to put lots of my music down
    onto
    : dvd
    : > > disc (just as we did mp3's on cd-r).
    : > >
    : > > how can i do this?
    : > >
    : > > thanks,
    : > > k
    : > >
    : > >
    : >

    Richard C., Jun 1, 2004
  7. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    Re-Read the response from luminos.

    You clearly did not understand what he said.
    DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD.
    ===================================

    : on the DVD it is in dvd-audio format, i did not mean simply burn PCM
    data
    : tracks....
    :
    : the source for audio tracks must be either PCM, DTS, or MPEG encoded
    (PCM
    : wav files work just fine, either mono, stereo or 5.1 channel). dvd
    audio
    : spec allows for greater dynamics in the encoding, i am only able to
    rip
    : 48Khz/24bit from CDA using NeroExpress (of the ripper tools i have NE
    rips
    : the fastest), and not that does me any good since the source is
    : 44Khz/16bit.....
    :
    : i bought minnetonka bronze, waiting for it to arrive.
    :
    :
    : "luminos" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD. It is a completely separate
    format,
    : with
    : > different specifications.
    : >
    : > The software for this is at:
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > news:eoQuc.16370$...
    : > > i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3 formats, PCM,
    DTS,
    : or
    : > > MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most supported.
    : > >
    : > > i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data files, needs
    to be
    : > in
    : > > dvd format.
    : > >
    : > > i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes dvd-audio
    discs... i
    : did
    : > > not try it yet...
    : > >
    : > > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    : > > news:2QKuc.15342$...
    : > > >
    : > > > > what i want to do seems simple, but is not easy for some
    reason.
    : > > > >

    Richard C., Jun 1, 2004
  8. Kryptoknight

    Biz Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD. It is a completely separate format,

    with
    > different specifications.
    >
    > The software for this is at:
    >

    > http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/

    I'm still not sure these guys understand what DVD-Audio is, vs the audio
    tracks on a regular DVD-Video disk

    Biz, Jun 1, 2004
  9. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    yes, it is, just not in data form on a DVD disc.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  10. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    ughh,

    dvd-a tracks are built using audio sources either in PCM, DTS, or MPEG
    encoding. PCM allows for greater dynamics...

    as for what's on the dvd-a disc, it's in "dvd-a" format (whatever the dvd-a
    spec is). and yes, i understand the a "audio dvd" is not the same as
    "dvd-a", audio dvd is a bunch of data tracks.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  11. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    DVD-Audio is 5.1 high resolution sound only found on DVD-Audio discs.

    It is NOT the soundtrack of a normal DVD.

    Do you understand that?

    DVD-Audio is a FORMAT.
    ========================

    : yes, it is, just not in data form on a DVD disc.
    :
    : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    : news:40bc8c95$0$71254$...
    : > Re-Read the response from luminos.
    : >
    : > You clearly did not understand what he said.
    : > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD.
    : > ===================================
    : >
    : > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > news:phZuc.17789$...
    : > : on the DVD it is in dvd-audio format, i did not mean simply burn
    PCM
    : > data
    : > : tracks....
    : > :
    : > : the source for audio tracks must be either PCM, DTS, or MPEG
    encoded
    : > (PCM
    : > : wav files work just fine, either mono, stereo or 5.1 channel). dvd
    : > audio
    : > : spec allows for greater dynamics in the encoding, i am only able
    : > rip
    : > : 48Khz/24bit from CDA using NeroExpress (of the ripper tools i have
    NE
    : > rips
    : > : the fastest), and not that does me any good since the source is
    : > : 44Khz/16bit.....
    : > :
    : > : i bought minnetonka bronze, waiting for it to arrive.
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "luminos" <> wrote in message
    : > : news:...
    : > : > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD. It is a completely separate
    : > format,
    : > : with
    : > : > different specifications.
    : > : >
    : > : > The software for this is at:
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > : > > i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3 formats,
    PCM,
    : > DTS,
    : > : or
    : > : > > MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most
    supported.
    : > : > >
    : > : > > i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data files,
    needs
    : > to be
    : > : > in
    : > : > > dvd format.
    : > : > >
    : > : > > i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes dvd-audio
    : > discs... i
    : > : did
    : > : > > not try it yet...
    : > : > >
    : > : > > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    : > : > >
    : > : > > >
    : > : > > > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > : > > >
    : > news:ToIuc.102428$...
    : > : > > > > what i want to do seems simple, but is not easy for some
    : > reason.
    : > : > > > >

    Richard C., Jun 2, 2004
  12. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    1) dvd-a spec does not say it must be 5.1, only says it can support it.
    2) i never said it was the soundtrack of a dvd movie. what i said was, you
    could rip out the 5.1 encoded audio track from a dvd movie disc into a 5.1
    pcm file, then make a dvd-a from that in true 5.1
    3) what exactly do you think you mean when you say "high resolution audio",
    are you talking about the sample rate / bit length of the pcm encoded
    audio?? i hope so because that's exactly what it is. dvd-a supports the
    extended sampling/bit encoding to achieve greater dynamics from the audio
    source.
    4) do you have any idea what type of audio encoding is on most dvd movie
    discs?

    do you understand that ??

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  13. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    as example, NTFS file system can be on many types of formatted hard drives
    (you could format it using various types of allocation setups). "ntfs" is
    like the pcm audio part while the "formatted drive" is the dvd-a format...

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  14. Kryptoknight

    > i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3 formats, PCM, DTS, or
    > MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most supported.
    >
    > i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data files, needs to be

    in
    > dvd format.
    >
    > i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes dvd-audio discs... i did
    > not try it yet...

    So now you're saying your car stereo plays dvd-audio disks, then it s really
    a DVD-A player? What make/model is it? I'm asking because they may exist,
    though I have enver heard of it yet, and would like to know about them.

    Biz, Jun 2, 2004
  15. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    2004 acura TL with ELS sound system

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Kryptoknight

    luminos Guest

    Uggh.

    No they are not. You are correct about your car though, it will play DVD
    audio.

    Wait for your software, and you will finally understand
    everything...including limitations of what DVD audio can do with previously
    encoded files.

    luminos, Jun 2, 2004
  17. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    huh?

    discWedler bronze requires source be PCM encoded, either 2 or 5.1 channel
    encoded.

    so what do you mean by "No they are not." ?? please explain.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  18. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : huh?
    :
    : discWedler bronze requires source be PCM encoded, either 2 or 5.1
    channel
    : encoded.
    :
    : so what do you mean by "No they are not." ?? please explain.

    ======================
    Just go buy a DVD-Audio disc and play it.

    Then maybe you will understand.
    =======================
    :
    :
    : "luminos" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Uggh.
    : >

    Richard C., Jun 2, 2004
  19. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    thanks, i have a few already. what's your point. are you talking about the
    5.1 DTS that comes from it ??

    my dvd-a player in my TL can play 5.1 PCM as well as bit stream encoded 5.1
    DTS, and of course i mean from a dvd-a disc that is in dvd-a format, i do
    not mean PCM or DTS data tracks.

    not sure what your asking.

    Kryptoknight, Jun 2, 2004
  20. Kryptoknight

    Richard C. Guest

    : 1) dvd-a spec does not say it must be 5.1, only says it can support
    it.

    ============================
    Do you know what a DVD-Audio disc is?
    Do you own one?
    Have you seen one?
    They have nothing to do with movies.
    ============================

    : 2) i never said it was the soundtrack of a dvd movie. what i said was,
    you
    : could rip out the 5.1 encoded audio track from a dvd movie disc into a
    5.1
    : pcm file, then make a dvd-a from that in true 5.1

    ==============================
    But you would still not have a DVD-Audio disc.
    ================================

    : 3) what exactly do you think you mean when you say "high resolution
    audio",
    : are you talking about the sample rate / bit length of the pcm encoded
    : audio?? i hope so because that's exactly what it is. dvd-a supports
    the
    : extended sampling/bit encoding to achieve greater dynamics from the
    audio
    : source.

    =======================================
    DVD-Audio is "High Resolution" or "Advanced Resolution" Audio.
    DVD-Audio sound cannot be played on a normal DVD player.
    DVD-Audio cannot be copied.
    DVD-Audio is a separate format.

    It is NOT the DD (2.0, 5.1, etc) nor is it the DTS soundtrack.
    It is a separate DVD-Audio format found ONLY on DVD-Audio discs.
    It is usually 96khz or higher sampling rate. It is 24 bit.

    : 4) do you have any idea what type of audio encoding is on most dvd
    movie
    : discs?

    ==================
    Yes, I do.
    Not ONE movie has a DVD-Audio track on it. Not one!
    ===================

    :
    : do you understand that ??

    =======================
    I understand that you still do not know the difference between DVD-Audio
    and the audio on a DVD.

    Do some reading on the subject. Open your mind up a little.
    =======================
    :
    :
    : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    : news:40bd388a$0$71251$...
    : > DVD-Audio is 5.1 high resolution sound only found on DVD-Audio
    discs.
    : >
    : > It is NOT the soundtrack of a normal DVD.
    : >
    : > Do you understand that?
    : >
    : > DVD-Audio is a FORMAT.
    : > ========================
    : >
    : > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > news:Rj9vc.111518$...
    : > : yes, it is, just not in data form on a DVD disc.
    : > :
    : > : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    : > : news:40bc8c95$0$71254$...
    : > : > Re-Read the response from luminos.
    : > : >
    : > : > You clearly did not understand what he said.
    : > : > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD.
    : > : > ===================================
    : > : >
    : > : > : on the DVD it is in dvd-audio format, i did not mean simply
    burn
    : > PCM
    : > : > data
    : > : > : tracks....
    : > : > :
[...]
    : > : > : "luminos" <> wrote in message
    : > : > : news:...
    : > : > : > DVD-Audio is NOT audio from a DVD. It is a completely
    separate
    : > : > format,
    : > : > : with
    : > : > : > different specifications.
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > The software for this is at:
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > "Kryptoknight" <> wrote in message
    : > : > : >
    : > news:eoQuc.16370$...
    : > : > : > > i know it plays audio from a dvd. dvd audio is of 3
    formats,
    : > PCM,
    : > : > DTS,
    : > : > : or
    : > : > : > > MPEG. i'm guessing it's PCM compliant as PCM is most
    : > supported.
    : > : > : > >
    : > : > : > > i'm also guessing that it cannot simply play PCM data
    files,
    : > needs
    : > : > to be
    : > : > : > in
    : > : > : > > dvd format.
    : > : > : > >
    : > : > : > > i bought Minnetonka's discWelder Bronze, it makes
    dvd-audio
    : > : > discs... i
    : > : > : did
    : > : > : > > not try it yet...
    : > : > : > > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    : > news:2QKuc.15342$...
    : > : > : > > > > what i want to do seems simple, but is not easy for
    some
    : > : > reason.

    Richard C., Jun 2, 2004