    though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at my
    workplace for waiting customers.
    How is that done and with what equipment?

    mmac, Feb 9, 2005

  2. >> would like to implement that at my workplace for waiting customers. <<

    where are you located?

    In Austin, TX there are clubs that will assist you in doing this.

    See http://Austinwireless.net for a sample of what's available

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Feb 10, 2005
  4. mmac

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    Its called a Hotspot Server,

    http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/hotspot.html

    This one is a Live CD
    http://www.publicip.net/

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 10, 2005
  5. mmac

    .:mmac:. Guest

    thanks for the link,
    I'm in the middle of california.

    message news:...

    .:mmac:., Feb 10, 2005
  6. >> middle of california <<

    Principals the same... the likelyhood is high that you have people in
    the area that have wifi setups and can help.

    Knowing more details, such as your location (metro, rural, specific) who
    provides connectivity, how and to whom you want to distribute it, etc,
    etc, would help.

    The simplest approach is to simply buy a wireless access point set with
    no WEP connected to your internet provider.

    That said;

    your internet provider has rules that you need to observe before you
    distribute their service to the public

    if your computers are using the same provider, they are vulnerable to
    wifi access

    ....and others will probably post many more considerations ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Feb 10, 2005
  7. mmac

    .:mmac:. Guest

    We have T1 for the lan and phone, we would get a DSL line to connect the
    WiFI. One application is a church building and the other is a set of meeting
    rooms. Not a large client load at all but it needs to be easy for the people
    to use.
    No connection to the building lan is a given.

    The "Gee whiz" factor I liked was the way the access was granted, i.e. when
    you connected with whatever patop you had, you were sent to a logon screen
    and all you had to do was type in a code. No additional software was
    required on the client. Maybe thats the norm but like I said before, this is
    new to me.
    I would prefer a Microsoft software solution (Radius?) but I am open to
    anything. I just need to know how to make it work.

    message news:%...

    .:mmac:., Feb 11, 2005
  8. mmac

    .:mmac:. Guest

    you think it's a dumb question??

    .:mmac:., Feb 11, 2005
  9. mmac

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    I still think your best bet would be ZoneCD. Setting up a free WiFi
    Hotspot can be as easy as hooking up an access point, popping in a CD
    and rebooting a PC equipped with a floppy (the whole system is on the
    CD so the floppy is required to save configuration data). The Public
    IP ZoneCD is what's known as a LiveCD. It does not install to your
    hard drive. It runs right from your CD-ROM. The ZoneCD is Linux, but
    you don't have to know anything about Linux to use the ZoneCD. You
    just need to know how to place a CD in a CD-ROM, and turn-on a
    computer, (in that order). And, the price is so affordable that if you
    change your mind about giving your customers something to do while
    they wait, you wont be out much money. Oh, did I mention it was free.
    http://www.publicip.net/
    http://www.publicip.net/zonecd/how.php
    I think you should look at this, if only for its educational benefit.
    That way you will know what it is you're after, and can make educated
    decisions about how you are going to implement your solution.

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 11, 2005
  10. mmac

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    In all fairness, I did give you a reasonable response to your
    question. And for those readers of this thread who do not see
    attachments as is my case, but not the case for .:mmac:., what is
    being alluded to in the attached quote can be seen by doing an Image
    Google search with the key words "Bart Google gif".
    And yes .:mmac:., with all due respect, if I can find the answer to
    your question with a simple Google, using key words from your post
    only, you need to be reminded to do your homework.

    | you think it's a dumb question??
    |
    | "Mungo Bulge" <> wrote in message
    | > Its called a Hotspot Server,
    | >
    | > http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/hotspot.html
    | >
    | > This one is a Live CD
    | > http://www.publicip.net/
    | >
    | > "mmac" <> wrote in message
    | > |I went to a hotel that had wireles and the setup was that you
    just
    | > started
    | > | your own laptop and tried to browse, this directed you to a
    login
    | > page where
    | > | you entered the number the desk gave you and then you weere good
    | > go.
    | > | I'm sure it's old news to most of you but I had never seen it
    before
    | > and
    | > | though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at
    my
    | > | workplace for waiting customers.
    | > | How is that done and with what equipment?
    | > |
    | > |

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 11, 2005
  11. mmac

    .:mmac:. Guest

    Excellent, Thanks for the help.
    See , I wouldn't have gotten so complete an answer from a google search ;-)

    .:mmac:., Feb 11, 2005