How to create a bootable CD w/access to entire CD (SATA CD Drive)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick, May 8, 2007.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    In the past I have created bootable CD's that I have put various emergency
    utilities on. I used the Win98 bootable floppy as the basis for the bootable
    image file. This would boot from the CD using floppy emulation, load a bunch
    of generic CD drivers and then mount the remainder of the CD with a drive
    letter (so after booting from the CD I would have a 1.4MB emulated floppy
    and an "E" drive with 695MB of room for utilities & tools).

    This has worked great for many years and has worked on 99% of the
    computer/CD ROM combinations that I used it in. Unfortunately with the new
    SATA CD/DVD drives the generic IDE driver's don't work any longer and I
    can't access the large partition of the CD.

    How can I create a bootable CD now that gives me access to the entire CD?

    I see that Nero and EasyCD Creator both have a "Hard Disk Emulation" for
    bootable CD's but how/where would I get an image file for this option? Would
    this do what I want?

    Thanks

    Nick, May 8, 2007