    HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often very
    grainy. Any suggestions?
    -svt-
    Bush Wax, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Bush Wax

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 12-Feb-2004, "Bush Wax" <> wrote:

    > I inadvertently left my Nikon set to incadescent lighting. I didn't
    > notice
    > on the viewer that the setting made my photos very blue. Is there any
    > program that can correct this or does this filter setting actually cause a
    > loss in information? I can correct it to a degree with Image Composer or
    > HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often
    > very
    > grainy. Any suggestions?
    > -

    It sounds like you have 8bit/color jpeg images. That means you will loose
    quite a bit of data in the color correction. The correction is pretty easy,
    most photo editors have an 'automatic color correction' which should work
    pretty well. Photoshop's does. If it doesn't you should be able to sample
    something white in, levels or curves, to determine the color correction.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com
    Tom Thackrey, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Bush Wax

    AArDvarK Guest

    I recommend the GIMP ... very high-end for free:
    downlaod: http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html
    homepage: http://www.gimp.org/ This program can
    be used professionaly, and they have a giant manual
    for download in a few formats.

    also Satori PhotoXL 2.29 http://www.satoripaint.com/
    dreadful website but it is solid programming. Since
    the download link is hard to find here is the exact page:
    http://www.satoripaint.com/WebFXDemoDownload.htm#Freeware
    Then click: "Freeware PhotoXL v2.29" ... then click:
    "Satori Pair" ... (very odd). After that the upgrade to
    version 3 is only $9.95 (not mandatory).

    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Bush Wax

    Bush Wax Guest

    Thanks for the previous suggestions.
    I will try gimp.
    -svt-

    Bush Wax, Feb 13, 2004
  5. "Bush Wax" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the previous suggestions.
    >I will try gimp.

    Gimp seems to me to be far-and-away overkill for such a simple
    color correction. Basically, all you've done is the equivalent to
    shooting TypeA indoor film outdoors resulting in the color cast and, of
    course, some underexposure.. One (or more) of the simple (and free)
    digital correction tools found here:
    http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html or Irfanview may do the CC
    job quickly and without the learning curve, size and complexity of Gimp
    which, oh-so-often, quite lives up to the US colloquial meaning of its
    name, if you get my drift... You're on your own with the underexposure
    though ;-).
    --
    HTH,
    Derald Martin
    Derald Martin, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Bush Wax

    AArDvarK Guest

    Yes but it the biggest possible program in graphics
    to be gotten for FREE. And programming is a lot
    of damn work just to give away. That I call strong.

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 15, 2004
  7. "AArDvarK" <> wrote:

    >Yes but it the biggest possible program in graphics
    >to be gotten for FREE

    What; Gimp? Oh, no doubt about it but that wasn't my point. Whether
    such is actually a reason for recommending it, though, is a whole
    'nother thread...;-) I have Gimp on my machine, too (hell, who
    _doesn't_?), but rarely use it because I don't very often have to do any
    sure-enough image-editing (call me old-fashioned, but I frame and light
    a shot _before_ making the exposure and do very little so-called,
    "candid" photog) and because there is a host of (also free) smaller,
    lighter, faster, often "automagic' photo editing and correcting
    applications that excel at enabling one to make minor corrections
    quickly, easily, accurately and (most importantly, IMO) repeatably. Of
    course, I know that everyone's "needs" are as he defines them; I got my
    photo chops in the single-light, bounce-flash 6x6 Rolleiflex days and
    made my living on complex, fast-moving, high-intensity and high-tek
    movie sets. "K.I.S.S." surely does appeal to _me_, but YMMV.
    --
    Derald
    Derald Martin, Feb 15, 2004