    won't increase the PC's noise level.

    Thanks
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Evil Bastard

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Evil Bastard" wrote
    > Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?

    Just a normal fan blowing air over the drives is usually enough to cool
    them(assuming that case flow isnt too bad.

    Personally, I would think that air flow in the case needs to be looked at if
    it is shutting down because of it, I have two 7200rpm IDE and 3 10000rpm
    SCSI drives in my machine, and there is no cooling needed on them(they are
    stacked one on top of the next)... the only air they get is from the air
    being pulled in through the front.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003

  3. Evil Bastard

    Andrew Guest

    are you sure your drives are ok?

    its kinda rare for them to overheat and shut down, Make sure they are not
    sitting on top of each other, Separate them a bit and get some airflow in
    them

    You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like these:
    http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?item=2026&sbase=Misc Coolers

    Andrew, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Evil Bastard

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:07:32 +1300, Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
    >they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
    >Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
    >won't increase the PC's noise level.
    >
    >Thanks
    >EB

    Yes get a Icute case with its 120mm fan in front..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Evil Bastard

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Andrew" wrote
    > You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like these:
    > http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?item=2026&sbase=Misc Coolers

    hey... just a question about these, how does that thing fit into the drive
    bay with the hdd in it, wouldn't it then be too wide, it doesnt look like it
    goes out wide enough to bolt into a 5' 1/4 bay either?

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  6. Evil Bastard

    Andrew Guest

    They fit into the 5" 1/4 bay, Your right, The unit doesnt look like it will
    fit, But they come with rubber mounts that extend out to make it fit into
    the bay, which are there to absorb all vibration which inturn helps with
    noise and drive life

    Andrew, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Evil Bastard

    Andrew Guest

    Here is a better picture

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/0311/zm-2hc1/ZM-2HC1_b4.gif

    Andrew, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Evil Bastard

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Andrew" wrote
    > They fit into the 5" 1/4 bay, Your right, The unit doesnt look like it

    will
    > fit, But they come with rubber mounts that extend out to make it fit into
    > the bay, which are there to absorb all vibration which inturn helps with
    > noise and drive life

    (after looking at the better pic)I see now... might have to get me some,
    although they'll have to wait until after the wedding :\

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  9. Evil Bastard

    Jay Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
    > they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
    > Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
    > won't increase the PC's noise level.
    >
    > Thanks
    > EB

    You can buy slot covers with a couple of mini fans fitted for about $15.
    Fit one of them above each disk drive.

    Jay, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Evil Bastard

    bt Guest

    <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
    >they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
    >Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
    >won't increase the PC's noise level.

    Slashdot had a link just yesturday to an article on that very subject.

    Essentiall sandwiching the drives between two solid plates of
    aluminium - reduces the noise (by some 15 dba) AND heat (by some 10c).

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 22, 2003