How to convert video file to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Flark, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Flark

    Flark Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    especially when I try to use Nero.

    I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.

    I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    that I deleted it right away.

    Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    for creating a real DVD?

    I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    there was motion.

    Thanks.

    Flark, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Flark

    Dave S Guest

    Flark wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    > a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    > I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    > the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    > especially when I try to use Nero.
    >
    > I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    > Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
    >
    > I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    > Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    > that I deleted it right away.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    > for creating a real DVD?
    >
    > I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    > I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    > there was motion.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use SuperC from http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html to convert to
    720x480. That software is free.

    Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
    create the menu and properly formated files.

    Dave S.

    Dave S, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Flark

    Netmask Guest

    "Flark" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    > a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    > I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    > the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    > especially when I try to use Nero.
    >
    > I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    > Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
    >
    > I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    > Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    > that I deleted it right away.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    > for creating a real DVD?
    >
    > I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    > I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    > there was motion.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you are after a free program - first demux into video and audio streams
    using MPEGStreamclip http://www.squared5.com/ then download
    http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl?p=download

    Another simple program that has always worked for me with good results is
    VSO ConvertXtoDVD not free http://www.vso-software.fr/products.php

    Netmask, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Flark

    swordm Guest

    Total Video2Dvd can help you convert videos to dvd simply and
    directly, work on
    1. click "New project", add video files, than click "OK"
    2. click "DVD menu", preview dvd menu
    3. click "Output", click "Convert and Burn" start burn DVD.

    a. easily convert avi or other popular video formats(such as youtube
    flv, mpg, xvid, divx, mp4, 3gp, mkv, rm, rmvb, mov, wmv, ogm, ts etc.)
    to dvd or ISO image file.
    b. support srt, sub, ssa, ass, smi, psb, tex, idx subtitles
    c. support dvd menu with background music, with a lot of templates
    d. support download youtube and other video share website video, then
    burn to dvd
    e. support photo slideshow to dvd, more than 300 kinds of effects.
    f. easy to use, only a few clicks,

    you can download this program FREE:
    http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_video_to_DVD_Author/index.htm

    swordm, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Flark

    Dave S Guest

    swordm wrote:
    > Total Video2Dvd can help you convert videos to dvd simply and
    > directly, work on
    > 1. click "New project", add video files, than click "OK"
    > 2. click "DVD menu", preview dvd menu
    > 3. click "Output", click "Convert and Burn" start burn DVD.
    >
    > a. easily convert avi or other popular video formats(such as youtube
    > flv, mpg, xvid, divx, mp4, 3gp, mkv, rm, rmvb, mov, wmv, ogm, ts etc.)
    > to dvd or ISO image file.
    > b. support srt, sub, ssa, ass, smi, psb, tex, idx subtitles
    > c. support dvd menu with background music, with a lot of templates
    > d. support download youtube and other video share website video, then
    > burn to dvd
    > e. support photo slideshow to dvd, more than 300 kinds of effects.
    > f. easy to use, only a few clicks,
    >
    > you can download this program FREE:
    > http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_video_to_DVD_Author/index.htm

    The program is NOT free. $39.95
    There is a free trial.

    Dave S.

    Dave S, Sep 10, 2008
  6. Flark

    Ringmaster Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:24:42 -0700 (PDT), Flark <>
    wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    >a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    >I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    >the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    >especially when I try to use Nero.
    >
    >I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    >Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
    >
    >I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    >Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    >that I deleted it right away.
    >
    >Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    >for creating a real DVD?
    >
    >I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    >I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    >there was motion.
    >
    >Thanks.

    You get what you PAY for. Get something REAL, like Sony's Vegas. Their
    Movie Studio choices are excellent and based on their full blown
    professional video editor by the same name. It will easily convert any
    source file frame size to the correct one for DVD. The important
    factor is the encoder that does most of the work. Free software either
    uses junk or ripped off illegal decoders. Since a REAL MPEG-2
    decoder/encoder requires a license to use legally, you won't get the
    real thing free and the quality of the encoder is critical unless you
    want crap for your output.

    If you video extends beyond the borders of the TV screen you're
    outside the "safe" area. Again decent software shows you a border so
    you know you are out of bounds and makes it easy to resize while
    keeping the correct aspect ratio. You're not missing anything in
    Microsoft's DVD maker. Little more than a toy.

    Ringmaster, Sep 11, 2008
  7. Flark

    Guest

    I use Total video2dvd, it works well for me.

    , Sep 14, 2008
  8. Flark

    sandy58 Guest

    On Sep 10, 4:40 am, Dave S <> wrote:
    > Flark wrote:
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    > > a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    > > I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    > > the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    > > especially when I try to use Nero.

    > > I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    > > Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.

    > > I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    > > Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    > > that I deleted it right away.

    > > Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    > > for creating a real DVD?

    > > I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    > > I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    > > there was motion.

    > > Thanks.

    > I use SuperC fromhttp://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.htmlto convert to
    > 720x480. That software is free.
    >
    > Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
    > create the menu and properly formated files.
    >
    > Dave S.

    Is your e-mail address good, Dave S?

    sandy58, Sep 25, 2008
  9. Flark

    Dave S Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 4:40 am, Dave S <> wrote:
    >> Flark wrote:
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>> I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
    >>> a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
    >>> I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
    >>> the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
    >>> especially when I try to use Nero.
    >>> I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
    >>> Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
    >>> I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
    >>> Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
    >>> that I deleted it right away.
    >>> Can someone recommend a good freeware program
    >>> for creating a real DVD?
    >>> I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
    >>> I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
    >>> there was motion.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> I use SuperC fromhttp://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.htmlto convert to
    >> 720x480. That software is free.
    >>
    >> Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
    >> create the menu and properly formated files.
    >>
    >> Dave S.

    > Is your e-mail address good, Dave S?

    I never post on USENET with my email address.

    Remove the sequence 'bcd' and change 'not' to 'net'.

    Dave S.

    Dave S, Sep 25, 2008