    ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software that somone has
    found will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Eric, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Eric

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:42:56 +1030 from Eric <>:
    > Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    > I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to dvd.
    > I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on converting to
    > ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software that somone has
    > found will be greatly appreciated.

    Have you tried iTunes? It can burn music to CD; perhaps it can burn
    video to DVD?

    (Apologies if this question is too basic, but you didn't tell us
    _anything_ about what you had already tried. I don't have any video
    in Tunes, so I can't test this myself.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Eric

    Tonester Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    > I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to
    > dvd. I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on
    > converting to ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software
    > that somone has found will be greatly appreciated.
    > Regards

    iPod uses a proprietary video format? Well that's stupid on Apple's part.
    Why would they do that?
    Tonester, Feb 18, 2006
  4. In article <wuHJf.753$>,
    Tonester <> wrote:

    > iPod uses a proprietary video format?

    No, they don't. They use MPEG-4 with the H.264 CODEC.

    > Well that's stupid on Apple's part. Why would they do that?

    The content may or may not be wrapped with a DRM scheme -- I don't have
    a video iPod, so I haven't downloaded any of this content. But as with
    the music, it's the content providers that require the DRM, not Apple.
    Barry McCockiner, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Eric

    Morgan Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    > I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to
    > dvd. I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on
    > converting to ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software
    > that somone has found will be greatly appreciated.
    > Regards

    I actually tried this using an external DVD recorder and the iPod AV cables
    (also tried the dock with the S-video) and the results were pretty
    disappointing so I'm not sure I'd even bother trying. It's very pixeled and
    blurry--I'd say it looks worse than a really old VHS tape. The videos on
    iTunes are converted to play specifically on that tiny little screen, so
    anything larger is going to get fuzzier and more distorted. Now I'm not
    that technical or anything but I got better results using a VCR than a DVD
    recorder for iPod videos--I don't know why. Another tip, once you covert it
    to whatever media you choose, watch it on a TV no bigger that 19 in. (13
    in. is premium for iPod videos, IMO). Good luck.

    Morgan
    Morgan, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Eric

    Biz Guest

    You really dont want to convert them to any other format....

    They are meant to be watched on those ridiculously tiny screens, if you
    convert them to watch on a regular size tv, they look absolutely
    terrible....

    Its ok to go from regular tv or dvd quality down to iPod size and
    resolution, but NOT the other way.....

    Biz, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Eric

    Goro Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > hi,
    > Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    > I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to dvd.
    > I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on converting to
    > ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software that somone has
    > found will be greatly appreciated.
    > Regards

    do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    donut think that's a good idea.

    -goro-
    Goro, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Eric

    Justin Guest

    Goro wrote on [18 Feb 2006 16:55:46 -0800]:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> hi,
    >> Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    >> I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to dvd.
    >> I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on converting to
    >> ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software that somone has
    >> found will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Regards

    > do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    > donut think that's a good idea.

    you a cop?
    Justin, Feb 19, 2006
  9. Eric

    Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Goro wrote

    > > do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    > > donut think that's a good idea.

    > you a cop?

    It dosen't matter whether he is or not, the penalties for trying to
    break the laws of physics are severe.

    Dave
    , Feb 19, 2006
  10. Eric

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [18 Feb 2006 17:42:18 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Goro wrote

    >> > do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    >> > donut think that's a good idea.

    >> you a cop?

    > It dosen't matter whether he is or not, the penalties for trying to
    > break the laws of physics are severe.

    Yeah, but he's talking about donuts.
    Justin, Feb 19, 2006
  11. Eric

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    > > hi,
    > > Can anyone please help with how to convert ipod movies to dvd?
    > > I have downloaded some videos in ipod format but I want to burn them to dvd.
    > > I have googled, but all I can find is loads of information on converting to
    > > ipod format but not the other way. Any pointers to software that somone has
    > > found will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Regards

    > do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    > donut think that's a good idea.
    >
    > -goro-

    yeah, but, the 320x240 is approximately what VHS offers, and VHS was
    reasonable quality for years.

    dick
    -- or at least good enough to watch tv shows that you weren't home to
    see or forgot to record
    Dick Sidbury, Feb 19, 2006
  12. Eric

    Guest

    \

    > yeah, but, the 320x240 is approximately what VHS offers, and VHS was
    > reasonable quality for years.

    I think VHS is more like 320 x 480. Plus the 320 is sampled rather
    than continuous, and that little picture has undergone considerable
    compression. Expand it to full screen and I think you will see
    someething a lot worse than VHS.

    Dave
    , Feb 19, 2006
  13. Eric

    Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >
    > > > do you really want to convert 320x240 quicktime into a 480p video? I
    > > > donut think that's a good idea.

    > \
    > >
    > > yeah, but, the 320x240 is approximately what VHS offers, and VHS was
    > > reasonable quality for years.
    > >

    > I think VHS is more like 320 x 480.

    Nope, its more like 320x240 just like he posted.....
    Biz, Feb 19, 2006
  14. Eric

    Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > > I think VHS is more like 320 x 480.

    > Nope, its more like 320x240 just like he posted.....

    Assuming you are talking about NTSC video, it all has 480 horizontal
    lines. This is true if it is broadcast, VHS, Betacam, DV or any other
    way of presenting the signal. So, the vertical resolution is always 480
    for NTSC, the 320 frequenttly listed is the approximate number of
    vertical ;ines that can be resolved, some give a higher number, but
    some give lower.

    I don't know where that sometimes quoted 320 x 240 comes from, but the
    correct answer is somewhere in the range of 300 x 480 to 320 x 480.

    Dave
    , Feb 19, 2006
  15. Eric

    Biz Guest

    Sorry, you are correct, brainfart here, but isnt VHS closer to 200 lines of
    resolution whereas S-VHS is around 300 or so lines of resolution making the
    numbers like 200x480, and 300x480?

    Biz, Feb 20, 2006
  16. Eric

    Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > Sorry, you are correct, brainfart here, but isnt VHS closer to 200 lines of
    > resolution whereas S-VHS is around 300 or so lines of resolution making the
    > numbers like 200x480, and 300x480?

    Those measurements were always somewhat subjective, so you often saw
    a range of about 250 to 300+ for VHS. S-VHS was usually listed in the
    400s range and though I never worked with BetaCam, I believe they
    claimed 500 or greater.

    Dave
    , Feb 20, 2006
  17. Eric

    Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > Sorry, you are correct, brainfart here, but isnt VHS closer to 200 lines of
    > resolution whereas S-VHS is around 300 or so lines of resolution making the
    > numbers like 200x480, and 300x480?

    Those measurements were always somewhat subjective, so you often saw
    a range of about 250 to 300+ for VHS. S-VHS was usually listed in the
    400s range and though I never worked with BetaCam, I believe they
    claimed 500 or greater.

    Dave
    , Feb 20, 2006
  18. Eric

    Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Biz wrote:
    > > Sorry, you are correct, brainfart here, but isnt VHS closer to 200 lines

    of
    > > resolution whereas S-VHS is around 300 or so lines of resolution making

    the
    > > numbers like 200x480, and 300x480?

    > Those measurements were always somewhat subjective, so you often saw
    > a range of about 250 to 300+ for VHS. S-VHS was usually listed in the
    > 400s range and though I never worked with BetaCam, I believe they
    > claimed 500 or greater.
    >
    > Dave

    Higher than I thought...I thought LDs were supposed to be about 400 lines,
    so I assumed that S-VHS was lower....my LD player claims about 425 lines of
    resolution...
    Biz, Feb 20, 2006
  19. Eric

    Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > Higher than I thought...I thought LDs were supposed to be about 400 lines,
    > so I assumed that S-VHS was lower....my LD player claims about 425 lines of
    > resolution...

    The LD player may be better than S-VHS. The measurements were highly
    subjective and the manufacturers claims always inflated. Also varries
    from machine to machine and tape quality.

    My take on it is:
    VHS and 8mm 250 - 300
    S-VHS & Hi-8 370 - 400+
    LD (never had one, but they claim about 425)
    BataCam 500

    Digital video is standard ay 720 x 480, usually associated with a
    camcorder however and limited by the camera on the front end.

    Dave
    , Feb 20, 2006
  20. Eric

    Guest