    What program can properly convert an FLV file into the files above for
    burning a DVD which will play on the average DVD player?
    , Dec 27, 2010

  2. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > What program can properly convert an FLV file into the files above for
    > burning a DVD which will play on the average DVD player?

    A DVD-Video disc needs a proper file/directory structure with navigation
    information packets in the video files, various cross-reference tables in
    the IFO files and so on.

    There are generally two separate problems here:

    1) Convert some other video format into the necessary MPEG-2 format required
    by DVD-Video
    2) Author the MPEG-2 files generated in step 1 into the proper DVD-Video
    structure, ready for burning to a disc.

    For step 1 these days I generally use FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org/>. It is the
    ultimate multimedia conversion engine: any format it can’t deal with
    probably isn’t worth using :). In this case, it can handle conversions
    between FLV and MPEG-2 for DVD-Video just fine.

    For step 2, there is just one Free Software (that’s Free as in Libre, not
    free as in gratis) authoring engine available, and that’s DVDAuthor
    <http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/>. If you don’t like messing about at the
    command line and writing XML files, there are lots of GUI frontends that
    build on top of it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2010

  3. Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 01:09:53 -0000, "Fed Up Lurker"
    <> wrote:

    >You have Nero which is an authoring tool, all you need is a nice free app
    >such as Koyote.
    >http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
    >
    >To the left you will see the free software listed,
    >Scroll and click the link to "Free FLV Converter"
    >Once downloaded, it is straightforward, just convert to an mpeg2 format.
    >You can select bitrate for both video and audio - Though it cannot upsample
    >If you have low resolution .flv clips, then whatever the chosen bitrate to
    >convert at, they remain low resolution.
    >It can also convert regions etc.
    >example: If you have used the firefox add-on to grab flash clips from
    >YouTube, Vimeo etc. These will be at 30fps, you can convert to mpeg2
    >at PAL 25fps (or vice versa), then use nero to import and author to DVD.
    >In Nero, just select to author a DVD-Video from it's menu,
    >import the converted mpeg2 files, and nero creates the additional files
    >during authoring.

    I really don't care if I have to pay to have a program which will do
    this chore properly.

    Now - as for Koyotesoft's FLV Converter, it kept giving me errors
    immediately. Reading your post again, I found the part about setting
    the fps to 30. That did allow it to continue converting to mpg.
    However, the resulting video is distorted. If it were a JPG, I'd say
    the aspect was off. The vertical is too long and the width is
    squashed.

    It also gave me an mpg file instead of the mpeg2 I had chosen in the
    menu.

    Yes, I know, my main failing in this endeavor is that I don't know
    what the hey I'm doing. I never fooled with this stuff before. It'd
    be *really* great if one could pay for a program that would work as
    claimed. I've tried a bunch of them and none give me the proper
    TS_AUDIO and TS_VIDEO foldes/files in the output.
    , Dec 27, 2010
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:47:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>,
    >wrote:
    >
    >> What program can properly convert an FLV file into the files above for
    >> burning a DVD which will play on the average DVD player?

    >A DVD-Video disc needs a proper file/directory structure with navigation
    >information packets in the video files, various cross-reference tables in
    >the IFO files and so on.
    >
    >There are generally two separate problems here:
    >
    >1) Convert some other video format into the necessary MPEG-2 format required
    >by DVD-Video
    >2) Author the MPEG-2 files generated in step 1 into the proper DVD-Video
    >structure, ready for burning to a disc.
    >
    >For step 1 these days I generally use FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org/>. It is the
    >ultimate multimedia conversion engine: any format it can’t deal with
    >probably isn’t worth using :). In this case, it can handle conversions
    >between FLV and MPEG-2 for DVD-Video just fine.

    I not only don't understand the program, but I don't understand the
    dang web page. :eek:)

    I'm allergic to command line stuff. It brings back bad memories of
    the days before Windows when I had to sit with my Unix manual beside
    me on the table and deal with such stuff as telnet, Lynx, etc. Ugh!
    Even though I stuck it out with DOS until Windows For Workgroups 3.11
    came around, these days I have a definite dislike of anything that
    smacks of those days.
    , Dec 27, 2010
  5. Mike S. Guest

    DVDFlick is free and should be able to handle everything ... conversion,
    mastering, and burning.
    Mike S., Dec 28, 2010
  6. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:32 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >DVDFlick is free and should be able to handle everything ... conversion,
    >mastering, and burning.

    The problem with DVDFlick is that half the time it gave me some error
    or other. Yes, I did an uninstall/reinstall of it. Made no
    difference. Might be due to a software conflict on my machine.

    Anyway, I solved the problem. I found a shareware program that
    converts directly from any number of file types, including FLV files,
    to the required DVD files - vob, ifo and bup. It has worked every
    time and with the proper lip sync. That's exactly what I was looking
    for.

    Thanks to everyone who tried helping me.
    , Dec 30, 2010