how to convert capital letters to lower case

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    me here Guest

    me here wrote:

    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a spreadsheet (Open Office) with some text strings in a column
    >> that are all capitals which I would like to convert to lower case
    >> except for the first letter in each word.
    >>
    >> There are 17,088 rows of data (text strings) to convert so I was
    >> looking for some ideas on how to automate this process.
    >>
    >> Any ideas ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Chris

    > 1. Search the HELP for "Text Functions"
    > 2. Use the Function Autopilot (Shitf+F2) and select the TEXT category
    >
    > Example string/text functions
    >
    > =lower(a1) Lower Case
    > =upper(a1) Upper Case
    > =proper(a1) Proper Case
    >
    > IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER FOR EXCEL USERS: Open Office formulas use a
    > semi-colon to delimit functions. Took me all of 5 minutes to become
    > accustomed to this. The functions available are quite impressive.
    > Eg;
    > =VLOOKUP(H598;Payee;2) in this example payee is a named range
    > =IF(G598>0;"Earnt";"Spent")
    >

    > Gavin

    Sorry should have added:
    1. Insert a column adjacent to the column with the text values
    2. Insert a formula in B2: =proper(a2)
    Assuming the first value is in Cell A2 and you inserted a blank column B
    3. Copy the formula from cell B2 down the 17000 or so lines

    --- Only continue if you want to have only
    --- one text column (not one column with
    --- values and one with a formula)

    4. Select the entire Column B and Copy (Ctrl+c)
    5. Either keep Column B selected or select Column A
    6. Edit > Paste Special
    Uncheck "Paste All"
    Uncheck "Formulas"
    Click OKAY
    7. Delete the column you do not want

    Gavin

    me here, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Chris Mayhew

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from me here of Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:46 :

    > So, now using Open Office, Mozilla Firebird browser, Mozilla Thunderbird
    > Mail and News client. I suppose I can dump Windows. Opps, thats right. I
    > still have to support a number of old Access databases. How much is
    > VMWare?

    The OpenOffice web pages have some mention about interfacing to databases,
    including Access, but maybe this is only on Windows.
    You might also check out Crossover Office, which is designed to run MS
    Office apps on Linux. I think it only does some versions of Access,
    though.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:46:57 -0700, me here wrote:

    > So, now using Open Office, Mozilla Firebird browser, Mozilla Thunderbird
    > Mail and News client. I suppose I can dump Windows. Opps, thats right. I
    > still have to support a number of old Access databases. How much is
    > VMWare?

    Too much!

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 7, 2003
  4. Chris Mayhew

    me here Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > this quote is from me here of Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:46 :
    >
    >>=proper(a1) Proper Case

    > well spotted !
    > I had looked in HELP and auto functions for 'title case' and 'capital case',
    > but didn't spot they had called it 'proper case'.
    > It's one of the issues when migrating between apps, generally the functions
    > are all there, but called different names. The trick is to work out the
    > other names.
    >

    > Peter

    Been there, done that. I got really stuck when trying to get the VLOOKUP
    function to work in CALC. I tried all tricks then discovered the ;
    should have been my delimeter.

    I recreated some documents using Writer with CALC embedded as an object.
    Works very well.

    me here, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in

    > I've now done it, so if you're registered with OOo, just look for issue
    > 20755, and cast your vote. 8^)

    I'm waiting on my password so I can ...

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Chris Mayhew