    whatever I need to do)?
    Nothing is encrypted.
    rgds
    Kay, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Kay

    John Howells Guest

    "Kay" <> wrote

    > Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
    > photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
    > as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
    > conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
    > ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
    > digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
    > Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
    > rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
    > whatever I need to do)?
    > Nothing is encrypted.

    If nothing is encrypted just copy the files to a new directory on the hard
    disk. Check with PowerDVD that it can play the files from the hard disk.

    Now Google for IFOEDIT and install it.

    Go to the VIDEO_TS directory. Using IFOEDIT open each IFO file in turn, pick
    the first item in the list in the top window, go down to offset 100, and
    double click. In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
    the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have the
    program to hand right now). When you "save" the IFO it will offer to also
    update the BUP, which you agree to.

    Check with PowerDVD that things are as required and write the file set back
    to a new DVD.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Kay

    Gilgamesh Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in message

    > "Kay" <> wrote
    >
    >> Hi, my brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius
    >> photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD
    >> as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a
    >> conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect
    >> ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a
    >> digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
    >> Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to
    >> rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or
    >> whatever I need to do)?
    >> Nothing is encrypted.

    > If nothing is encrypted just copy the files to a new directory on the hard
    > disk. Check with PowerDVD that it can play the files from the hard disk.
    >
    > Now Google for IFOEDIT and install it.
    >
    > Go to the VIDEO_TS directory. Using IFOEDIT open each IFO file in turn,
    > pick
    > the first item in the list in the top window, go down to offset 100, and
    > double click. In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
    > the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have
    > the
    > program to hand right now). When you "save" the IFO it will offer to also
    > update the BUP, which you agree to.
    >
    > Check with PowerDVD that things are as required and write the file set
    > back
    > to a new DVD.
    >
    > John Howells

    Alternatively have your brother in law go back to the photographer telling
    him he stuffed up and have him correct it instead of wasting your time.

    Gilgamesh, Jan 28, 2007
  4. Kay

    Aphelion Guest

    Can't your player shrink the image so that it resembles 4:3? My Panasonic
    does that for the purpose of allowing 4:3 material to fill the wide screen
    with minimal side bars.

    Kyle

    Aphelion, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Kay

    John Howells Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote

    > ... In the dialog change the "4:3" to "16:9" at the left, and at
    > the right select "automatic letterbox" (or something like - I don't have

    the
    > program to hand right now).

    Of course that should have been 'change the 16:9 to 4:3 ...' and 'deselect
    "automatic letterbox"' (and the couple of other settings in that part of the
    dialog it set).

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Kay

    Kay Guest

    Bingo, worked great. Deselcted all the automatic letterbox stuff
    tho.
    rgds

    Kay, Jan 28, 2007