How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D, May 4, 2013.

  1. Danny D

    Robert Macy Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On May 4, 6:27 am, Danny D <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 May 2013 09:38:15 +0000, Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > > there are several pipe planner software systems that do this

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I would think there must be software that does this; and I was
    > thinking about the problem at night - so the idea hit me to
    > plan by looking at a photograph.
    >
    > It's daylight now - so I'll do it by eye again.
    >
    > Still ... it would be very useful to have the software, simply
    > because it must exist, for planning purposes.
    >
    > For example, every elbow costs in inefficiency, and every foot
    > of pipe costs the builder a dollar. Certainly if they can
    > eliminate a connection or two, it saves them double that.
    >
    > In fact, were I to start over, I'd make the whole thing gentle
    > flowing curves of bent pipe, instead of these sharp elbows.

    I vaguely remember attending an ''example' class of an ANSYS software
    product that does this. It looked a lot like ProE competitor with
    rotatable drawings and presentations. The presentations looked like 3D
    renditions showing 'floating' pipes, ducting, and such. Even wiring.
    This software was for large architectural buildings, like high rise [I
    think]

    Robert Macy, May 10, 2013

  2. Danny D

    On May 4, 6:27 am, Danny D <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 May 2013 09:38:15 +0000, Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > > there are several pipe planner software systems that do this

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I would think there must be software that does this; and I was
    > thinking about the problem at night - so the idea hit me to
    > plan by looking at a photograph.
    >
    > It's daylight now - so I'll do it by eye again.
    >
    > Still ... it would be very useful to have the software, simply
    > because it must exist, for planning purposes.
    >
    > For example, every elbow costs in inefficiency, and every foot
    > of pipe costs the builder a dollar. Certainly if they can
    > eliminate a connection or two, it saves them double that.
    >
    > In fact, were I to start over, I'd make the whole thing gentle
    > flowing curves of bent pipe, instead of these sharp elbows.

    Just remember I saw where a laser scanner was sit inside a room and
    software then produced blueprints. But don't remember the company
    name, perhaps try real estate users.

    Robert Macy, May 10, 2013

  3. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Thu, 9 May 2013 12:51:33 -0400, "J. Clarke" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <kmdgjn$fe8$>,
    > >says...
    > >>
    > >> "Danny D" <> wrote in message

    > >> If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your life
    > >> at all
    > >> You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    > >> you paid for all your life with taxes.

    > >That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    > >somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.

    > That's the contract.

    Not the way it was sold and not the impression that most people have.
    And not long-term viable with a declining population.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  4. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <kmg6ns$64g$>,
    says...

    > "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 07 May 2013 22:23:14 -0400, nospam <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,

    > > Clearing up "misinformation" the way you do is rolling out the
    > > propaganda.
    > >

    > Why do you think the poster uses "nospam <>" as a nym
    > and addy...

    Because he's not creative enough to come up with a spamdump account.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  5. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 14:10:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> On Thu, 9 May 2013 12:51:33 -0400, "J. Clarke" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <kmdgjn$fe8$>,
    >> >says...

    >> >That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    >> >somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.

    >> That's the contract.

    >Not the way it was sold and not the impression that most people have.

    That makes the contract all the more binding.

    >And not long-term viable with a declining population.

    That's not the problem.

    , May 13, 2013
  6. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 12 May 2013 14:10:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...

    > >> That's the contract.

    > >Not the way it was sold and not the impression that most people have.

    > That makes the contract all the more binding.

    So you're fine with deceptive marketing as long as the fine print screws
    the buyer.

    > >And not long-term viable with a declining population.

    > That's not the problem.

    Tell that to the Japanese.

    J. Clarke, May 13, 2013
  7. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:22:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> On Sun, 12 May 2013 14:10:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >says...

    >> >Not the way it was sold and not the impression that most people have.

    >> That makes the contract all the more binding.

    >So you're fine with deceptive marketing as long as the fine print screws
    >the buyer.

    You certainly don't read well.

    >> >And not long-term viable with a declining population.

    >> That's not the problem.

    >Tell that to the Japanese.

    That's not their problem, either.

    , May 13, 2013
  8. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:59:19 -0400, Tony Cooper wrote:

    > If you can get freeware that does the job, why not?

    UPDATE:
    http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/12918763/img/12918763.jpg

    That's a picture of the final assembly where the combination
    goal was to repipe pool plumbing to both eliminate a leak at
    the two pump inlets and to (at the same time) make it easier
    to repair the pumps in the future - and (at the same time)
    to reduce the number of elbows in the system as there were
    far too many (all of which were bunched up too close together)
    and, at the same time, to eliminate any lines going over on
    top of the baskets (which made it hard to open the covers).

    Danny D, May 13, 2013
  9. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:22:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...

    > >> That makes the contract all the more binding.

    > >So you're fine with deceptive marketing as long as the fine print screws
    > >the buyer.

    > You certainly don't read well.

    You should try writing more clearly. If you meant something clever you
    failed.

    > >> That's not the problem.

    > >Tell that to the Japanese.

    > That's not their problem, either.

    Then perhaps you should contact their government and explain to it what
    their problem really is, since you seem certain that they are incorrect
    in their assessment of the situation.

    J. Clarke, May 13, 2013
  10. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Wed, 8 May 2013 04:20:36 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:10:01 -0500, George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >>> do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >>> for free all day long?

    >> Gotta be a Democrat.

    >Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    >even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    >young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    >heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    >otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    >back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    >for your care. :)

    The first two stages are more or less true but stage three for people
    who have really learned anything (and it could happen anytime between
    19 and 99) is that there isn't a dime's worth of difference between
    the two parties except for HOW they plan to screw you and you are
    better off to not support either of them. Virtually ALL this countries
    problems stem from things the Federal Gvt has done. That's why when
    people are surveyed they invariably rank their local gvt as OK, their
    state gvt as barely adequate, and the Federal gvt as a disaster area.
    The best thing that could happen to the US would be for ALL of our
    federal elected reps (not the bureaucrats) to disappear and not be
    replaced for at least a couple years. The country would get along
    just fine without them.

    Ashton Crusher, May 13, 2013
  11. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Mon, 13 May 2013 03:18:26 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:59:19 -0400, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    >> If you can get freeware that does the job, why not?

    >UPDATE:
    > http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/12918763/img/12918763.jpg
    >
    >That's a picture of the final assembly where the combination
    >goal was to repipe pool plumbing to both eliminate a leak at
    >the two pump inlets and to (at the same time) make it easier
    >to repair the pumps in the future - and (at the same time)
    >to reduce the number of elbows in the system as there were
    >far too many (all of which were bunched up too close together)
    >and, at the same time, to eliminate any lines going over on
    >top of the baskets (which made it hard to open the covers).

    Looks good.

    Ashton Crusher, May 13, 2013
  12. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Danny D, May 13, 2013
  13. Danny D

    Alfred Fox Guest

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:04:49 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

    > there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the two parties
    > except for HOW they plan to screw you

    Son: "Dad, what's the difference between a Republican & a Democrat?"
    Dad: "Well son, the Democrat says he will take all your money and
    give it to other people; and he does."
    Son: So what does the Republican do?
    Dad: "Ah, Son, the Republican is totally different. He says he won't
    take all your money to give it to other people. But he does".

    Alfred Fox, May 13, 2013
  14. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:54:25 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:22:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >says...

    >> >So you're fine with deceptive marketing as long as the fine print screws
    >> >the buyer.

    >> You certainly don't read well.

    >You should try writing more clearly. If you meant something clever you
    >failed.

    No clever intentions at all. You simply are incapable of reading
    what's written.

    >> >Tell that to the Japanese.

    >> That's not their problem, either.

    >Then perhaps you should contact their government and explain to it what
    >their problem really is, since you seem certain that they are incorrect
    >in their assessment of the situation.

    Many have. Like ours, theirs is interested things other than getting
    their economy going.

    , May 13, 2013
  15. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 May 2013 17:22:37 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 09 May 2013 08:04:25 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:
    >>
    >>> The lesson was brought home to me reading "The Last Centurion" by John
    >>> Ringo, where the main character discusses high trust and low trust
    >>> societies.

    >>Interesting. The USENET is a high-trust society, for the most part;
    >>and certain groups, such as the three on this post, are all high-trust
    >>USENET newsgroups.

    > Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust".

    If there was no trust, there would be no discussion on how to do DIY
    After all, if you didn't trust anyone else why bother learning from them
    And that is EXACTLY what occurs in low-trust societies

    And yes, there is both risk and cost
    If you take the advse of someone who may not have good knowledge, you run
    the risk of having greater cost than if you had someone do it for you

    > Do you buy from spammers?

    What has that got to do with the price of tea in China
    Being high trust does not mean being stupid
    Even high trust societies need to and do, follow the rule "Trust but verify"
    That is very different from the rule
    "Do not trust unless...(insert restrictive criteria here",
    or even worse the rule
    "Do not trust, since everyone is in it for themselves..
    and will screw you over if they can.."
    Which are both signs of low trust societies.

    Attila Iskander, May 17, 2013
  16. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 May 2013 18:25:52 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:58:25 -0400, krw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust".
    >>> Do you buy from spammers?

    >>Well, you have a point that alt.comp.freeware is filled with
    >>spammers; but alt.home.repair is a wonderfully experienced
    >>collection of homeowners who help each other - and -
    >>rec.photo.digital is renown for the professionals who frequent
    >>it's hallowed threads.
    >>

    > The point being that there isn't trust because there is nothing at
    > risk; nothing *to* trust.

    Completely bogus point as demonstrated elsewhere

    Attila Iskander, May 17, 2013
  17. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kmdgjn$fe8$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Danny D" <> wrote in message

    >> > Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    >> > even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    >> > young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    >> > heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    >> > otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    >> > back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    >> > for your care. :)
    >> >

    >> If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your
    >> life
    >> at all
    >> You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of
    >> benefits
    >> you paid for all your life with taxes.

    > That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    > somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.
    >
    > You must be one of those who thinks that Social Security has been saving
    > your payments for you and investing them wisely. It hasn't. It has
    > loaned it all to the Federal government at very low interest and the
    > government has spent it all.

    Don't presume stupid things just to justify your ignorance

    Attila Iskander, May 17, 2013
  18. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:22:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...

    >>> That makes the contract all the more binding.

    >>So you're fine with deceptive marketing as long as the fine print screws
    >>the buyer.

    > You certainly don't read well.

    >>> That's not the problem.

    >>Tell that to the Japanese.

    > That's not their problem, either.

    But he sure needs to produce strawmen every time he posts

    Attila Iskander, May 17, 2013
  19. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:54:25 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...

    >>> You certainly don't read well.

    >>You should try writing more clearly. If you meant something clever you
    >>failed.

    > No clever intentions at all. You simply are incapable of reading
    > what's written.

    >>> That's not their problem, either.

    >>Then perhaps you should contact their government and explain to it what
    >>their problem really is, since you seem certain that they are incorrect
    >>in their assessment of the situation.

    > Many have. Like ours, theirs is interested things other than getting
    > their economy going.

    he's really not trying to "discuss"anything
    All he's doing is making strawmen argument to "corner" you and thus be able
    to imagine that he's right.

    Attila Iskander, May 17, 2013
  20. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <kn5btj$ns1$>,
    says...

    > <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 9 May 2013 17:22:37 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Interesting. The USENET is a high-trust society, for the most part;
    > >>and certain groups, such as the three on this post, are all high-trust
    > >>USENET newsgroups.

    > > Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust".

    > If there was no trust, there would be no discussion on how to do DIY
    > After all, if you didn't trust anyone else why bother learning from them

    One does not need to trust someone in order to learn from them. One
    does need to test their teachings though to separate out what works from
    what doesn't. It also helps to have multiple independent sources.

    J. Clarke, May 17, 2013