How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D, May 4, 2013.

  1. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "Danny D" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 May 2013 07:03:13 -0700, Square Peg wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    >> someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    > A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    > kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    > for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >
    > When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    > replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >
    > And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    > I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >
    > Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    > for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >
    > You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    > for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    > if you don't believe me).
    >
    > Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    > become a useful productive member of the community.

    We have a nice grocery store down the street from our house, one block over.
    In the mornings the delivery trucks come around our corner when they are
    leaving.
    It's uphill to the corner from either direction
    After a fresh snowfall, both streets get icy because they are secondary and
    only get the odd plow coming through. And with idiot drivers spinning their
    wheels as they come uphill, it sometimes gets better ice than some skating
    rinks.
    So naturally when the trucks lose traction, I head out with shovel, scraper,
    bucket of sand and salt, and help the trucks go on their way.
    For years now, I've been getting nice boxes full of all sort of things
    dropped off on my front porch in the mornings. One of the drivers found out
    at the store that I like the John Macy brand of Cheddar-Asiago Cheese
    crisps. Got a whole carton of those dropped off at my door one morning

    You do nice things to people and it will come back to you from unexpected
    directions.

    Attila Iskander, May 8, 2013

  2. Danny D

    nospam Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    > >> kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    > >> for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    > >>
    > >> When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    > >> replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    > >>
    > >> And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    > >> I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    > >>
    > >> Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    > >> for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    > >>
    > >> You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    > >> for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    > >> if you don't believe me).
    > >>
    > >> Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    > >> become a useful productive member of the community.

    > >do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    > >for free all day long?

    > Do you get paid to pimp for Apple, or do you just do it for free?

    i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,
    much of which comes from you.

    is microsoft paying you?

    nospam, May 8, 2013

  3. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:06:06 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

    > You do nice things to people and it will come back to you from
    > unexpected directions.

    Thank you for that story.

    That's what the USENET is all about!

    We all help each other - for free.

    We have no expectation of payback, other than pay forward for
    those of us who know what that means.

    And, once in a while, good things come through the net
    friendships that are made.

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  4. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:10:01 -0500, George Kerby wrote:

    >> do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >> for free all day long?

    > Gotta be a Democrat.

    Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    for your care. :)

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  5. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "Danny D" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:10:01 -0500, George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >>> do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >>> for free all day long?

    >> Gotta be a Democrat.

    > Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    > even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    > young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    > heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    > otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    > back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    > for your care. :)

    If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your life
    at all
    You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    you paid for all your life with taxes.

    Attila Iskander, May 8, 2013
  6. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Wed, 08 May 2013 07:35:36 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

    > You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    > you paid for all your life with taxes

    It was a joke ...

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  7. Danny D

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/7/2013 10:06 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:
    > "Danny D" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 07 May 2013 07:03:13 -0700, Square Peg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    >>> someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    >> A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    >> kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    >> for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >>
    >> When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    >> replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >>
    >> And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    >> I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >>
    >> Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    >> for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >>
    >> You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    >> for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    >> if you don't believe me).
    >>
    >> Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    >> become a useful productive member of the community.
    >>

    > We have a nice grocery store down the street from our house, one block
    > over.
    > In the mornings the delivery trucks come around our corner when they are
    > leaving.
    > It's uphill to the corner from either direction
    > After a fresh snowfall, both streets get icy because they are secondary
    > and only get the odd plow coming through. And with idiot drivers
    > spinning their wheels as they come uphill, it sometimes gets better ice
    > than some skating rinks.
    > So naturally when the trucks lose traction, I head out with shovel,
    > scraper, bucket of sand and salt, and help the trucks go on their way.
    > For years now, I've been getting nice boxes full of all sort of things
    > dropped off on my front porch in the mornings. One of the drivers found
    > out at the store that I like the John Macy brand of Cheddar-Asiago
    > Cheese crisps. Got a whole carton of those dropped off at my door one
    > morning
    >
    > You do nice things to people and it will come back to you from
    > unexpected directions.

    Absolutely true. I live in a senior citizens community. After a snow
    storm, I will clean off my neighbor's windshields. For me, their smiles
    and greetings are enough reward.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 8, 2013
  8. Danny D

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/7/2013 10:23 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Tony Cooper

    <snip>

    >> Do you get paid to pimp for Apple, or do you just do it for free?

    > i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,

    You don't seem to be doing a very good job.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 8, 2013
  9. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:11:45 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    > For me, their smiles and greetings are enough reward.

    Isn't that essentially what the USENET is all about?

    I love the fact 'we' help each other!

    Danny D, May 8, 2013
  10. Danny D

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 22:23:14 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >> >for free all day long?

    >> Do you get paid to pimp for Apple, or do you just do it for free?

    >i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,

    Clearing up "misinformation" the way you do is rolling out the
    propaganda.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 8, 2013
  11. Danny D

    Dan Espen Guest

    Danny D <> writes:

    > On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:11:45 -0400, PeterN wrote:
    >
    >> For me, their smiles and greetings are enough reward.

    > Isn't that essentially what the USENET is all about?
    >
    > I love the fact 'we' help each other!

    You must be a commie!

    Just kidding. No really.

    We help each other and everyone benefits.
    Why some people are uncomfortable with that is a mystery.

    --
    Dan Espen

    Dan Espen, May 9, 2013
  12. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 5/8/13 7:35 AM, in article kmdgjn$fe8$, "Attila
    > Iskander"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Danny D" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    >>> even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    >>> young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    >>> heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    >>> otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    >>> back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    >>> for your care. :)
    >>>

    >> If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your
    >> life
    >> at all
    >> You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of
    >> benefits
    >> you paid for all your life with taxes.
    >>

    > I like you better with each post!
    >
    > :)

    Funny
    Some people go the other way
    Go figure...
    :)

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  13. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "Dan Espen" <> wrote in message
    > Danny D <> writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 May 2013 15:11:45 -0400, PeterN wrote:
    >>
    >>> For me, their smiles and greetings are enough reward.

    >> Isn't that essentially what the USENET is all about?
    >>
    >> I love the fact 'we' help each other!

    > You must be a commie!
    >
    > Just kidding. No really.
    >
    > We help each other and everyone benefits.
    > Why some people are uncomfortable with that is a mystery.

    Usually, it's the takers who are uncomfortable with that
    The basis of their philosophy are:
    1) Everyone is out for themselves
    2) Therefore, I must be out for myself to get ahead of everyone else
    (doing the same).
    So when they come across people who don't operate to their rule, they get
    confused and presume that the other people are idiots..

    The lesson was brought home to me reading "The Last Centurion" by John
    Ringo, where the main character discusses high trust and low trust
    societies.
    The US like most societies that originated from Western Judeo-Christian
    societies of the Northern Hemisphere, is a "high trust society" where the
    great majority of people understand the notion that if you come together to
    help others, it actually is a social benefit that will come back to your
    personal benefit sooner than later.
    Those countries, that have endemic problems of graft, corruption and other
    issues are "low trust societies" where the "me first - before all others",
    "trust only family and clan, and even they are going to screw you over", is
    the rule.
    To them the notion of repeatedly investing in good deeds towards others is
    wasted effort that only fools practice. They do not understand that most
    important lesson from the New Testament - the parable of the Good Samaritan.

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  14. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 May 2013 22:23:14 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Do you get paid to pimp for Apple, or do you just do it for free?

    >>i don't pimp for them nor do they pay me. i clear up misinformation,

    > Clearing up "misinformation" the way you do is rolling out the
    > propaganda.

    Why do you think the poster uses "nospam <>" as a nym
    and addy...

    Attila Iskander, May 9, 2013
  15. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <kmdgjn$fe8$>,
    says...

    > "Danny D" <> wrote in message

    > >> Gotta be a Democrat.

    > > Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    > > even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    > > young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    > > heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    > > otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    > > back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    > > for your care. :)
    > >

    > If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your life
    > at all
    > You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    > you paid for all your life with taxes.

    That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.

    You must be one of those who thinks that Social Security has been saving
    your payments for you and investing them wisely. It hasn't. It has
    loaned it all to the Federal government at very low interest and the
    government has spent it all.

    J. Clarke, May 9, 2013
  16. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Thu, 09 May 2013 08:04:25 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

    > The lesson was brought home to me reading "The Last Centurion" by John
    > Ringo, where the main character discusses high trust and low trust
    > societies.

    Interesting. The USENET is a high-trust society, for the most part;
    and certain groups, such as the three on this post, are all high-trust
    USENET newsgroups.

    When we get help, we pay it forward ...

    Danny D, May 9, 2013
  17. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Thu, 9 May 2013 12:51:33 -0400, "J. Clarke" <>
    wrote:

    >In article <kmdgjn$fe8$>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> "Danny D" <> wrote in message

    >> > Actually, I'm undeclared - and have been since I was 18
    >> > even though I believe in the old adage that, when you're
    >> > young, you have to be a Democrat; otherwise you have no
    >> > heart. When you're middle aged, you must be Republican,
    >> > otherwise you have no sense; and, when you age, you go
    >> > back to being a Democrat so that other people will pay
    >> > for your care. :)
    >> >

    >> If the third condition is true, then you have learned nothing in your life
    >> at all
    >> You don't have to go back to being a liberal to take advantage of benefits
    >> you paid for all your life with taxes.

    >That's the thing, you didn't pay for your own benefits, you paid for
    >somebody else's benefits, and now somebody else has to pay for yours.

    That's the contract.

    >You must be one of those who thinks that Social Security has been saving
    >your payments for you and investing them wisely. It hasn't. It has
    >loaned it all to the Federal government at very low interest and the
    >government has spent it all.

    , May 9, 2013
  18. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Thu, 9 May 2013 17:22:37 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 May 2013 08:04:25 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:
    >
    >> The lesson was brought home to me reading "The Last Centurion" by John
    >> Ringo, where the main character discusses high trust and low trust
    >> societies.

    >Interesting. The USENET is a high-trust society, for the most part;
    >and certain groups, such as the three on this post, are all high-trust
    >USENET newsgroups.

    Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust". Do
    you buy from spammers?

    >When we get help, we pay it forward ...

    , May 9, 2013
  19. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:58:25 -0400, krw wrote:

    > Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust".
    > Do you buy from spammers?

    Well, you have a point that alt.comp.freeware is filled with
    spammers; but alt.home.repair is a wonderfully experienced
    collection of homeowners who help each other - and -
    rec.photo.digital is renown for the professionals who frequent
    it's hallowed threads.

    Danny D, May 9, 2013
  20. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Thu, 9 May 2013 18:25:52 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:58:25 -0400, krw wrote:
    >
    >> Not at all. There is no "risk" or "cost", so therefore no "trust".
    >> Do you buy from spammers?

    >Well, you have a point that alt.comp.freeware is filled with
    >spammers; but alt.home.repair is a wonderfully experienced
    >collection of homeowners who help each other - and -
    >rec.photo.digital is renown for the professionals who frequent
    >it's hallowed threads.

    The point being that there isn't trust because there is nothing at
    risk; nothing *to* trust.

    , May 10, 2013