How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing forexperimentation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D, May 4, 2013.

  1. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Danny D, May 5, 2013

  2. Danny D

    George Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On 5/4/2013 6:03 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 May 2013 13:23:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:22:03 -0700, harry wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't believe software exists that can do that.
    >>> This is one job for the human brain.

    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Here's an example of the Hearst Castle from a Google screenshot:
    >> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12848249/img/12848249.jpg
    >>
    >> I took a landscaping class at the local recreation department,
    >> where we did the planning reviews with large paper blueprints.
    >>
    >> In that case, it was all drawn by hand after taking tedious
    >> measurements, transferring to block paper, & then to blueprints.
    >>
    >> But, the vector blueprint above only took a split second to create
    >>from a screenshot of Google maps - saving umpteen hours of drawing
    >> were I to draw on graph paper to scale ... so I was just wondering
    >> what is out there currently that other people use for blueprints.
    >>
    >> No big deal ... just curious (mostly for landscaping purposes).

    > Aah but you considerably limited your options when you asked for
    > Freeware. There are commercially available tools at reasonable prices,
    > some of which can do quite a good job. Where time is money, Freeware
    > doesn't seem to cut it.

    Agree, what the OP wants is done everyday but not with free software.
    Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
    software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
    software allow you to save time and money.

    George, May 5, 2013

  3. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George <>
    wrote:

    >On 5/4/2013 6:03 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sat, 4 May 2013 13:23:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example of the Hearst Castle from a Google screenshot:
    >>> http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12848249/img/12848249.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I took a landscaping class at the local recreation department,
    >>> where we did the planning reviews with large paper blueprints.
    >>>
    >>> In that case, it was all drawn by hand after taking tedious
    >>> measurements, transferring to block paper, & then to blueprints.
    >>>
    >>> But, the vector blueprint above only took a split second to create
    >>>from a screenshot of Google maps - saving umpteen hours of drawing
    >>> were I to draw on graph paper to scale ... so I was just wondering
    >>> what is out there currently that other people use for blueprints.
    >>>
    >>> No big deal ... just curious (mostly for landscaping purposes).

    >> Aah but you considerably limited your options when you asked for
    >> Freeware. There are commercially available tools at reasonable prices,
    >> some of which can do quite a good job. Where time is money, Freeware
    >> doesn't seem to cut it.
    >>

    >Agree, what the OP wants is done everyday but not with free software.
    >Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
    >software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
    >software allow you to save time and money.

    Obviously because the function isn't worth the money asked by
    "professional" software companies. There is an amazing amount of
    freeware out there that is quite good. A perfect example is
    "Sketchup". It's hard to beat for a 3-D modeling program for
    woodworkers or homeowners and there are "professional" packages
    available for those who need more function.

    , May 5, 2013
  4. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George wrote:

    > Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
    > software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
    > software allow you to save time and money.

    Free means, among other things, that someone wrote the software to be
    distributed freely.

    They distribute this way on purpose. They *want* you to use their freeware.

    Just like you help me, for free, and just like I write up details to
    help others, for free. Just like I post pictures, for free. And, I write
    up the summary, for free.

    There's nothing wrong with that.

    In fact, there's almost nothing you need for casual home use that isn't
    already available, for free. Just ask the folks on alt.comp.freeware for
    details.

    Danny D, May 6, 2013
  5. Danny D

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <isw-F850B2.14024105052013@[216.168.3.50]>,
    says...

    > In article
    > <>,
    > harry <> wrote:
    >
    > > On May 4, 7:27 pm, isw <> wrote:

    > > > Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the planning and design you'll
    > > > be doing to "eliminate a connection or two". Spending a lot of
    > > > time/money on that sort of design is only economical when the product
    > > > will be replicated many times.

    > > > Where can you buy plastic pipes in all sorts of "flexible curves", and
    > > > joints at random angles to match?
    > > >
    > > > Isaac

    > > You use flexible pipes rather than rigid ones that need all those
    > > fittings.

    > Which cost how much more? And are likely not as durable.

    Google "PEX". Lovely stuff to work with--cut it with a knife, connect
    it with a crimper.

    J. Clarke, May 6, 2013
  6. Danny D

    On 5/5/2013 7:14 PM, Danny D wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:59:17 -0400, George wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for
    >> software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create
    >> software allow you to save time and money.

    > Free means, among other things, that someone wrote the software to be
    > distributed freely.
    >
    > They distribute this way on purpose. They *want* you to use their freeware.
    >
    > Just like you help me, for free, and just like I write up details to
    > help others, for free. Just like I post pictures, for free. And, I write
    > up the summary, for free.
    >
    > There's nothing wrong with that.
    >
    > In fact, there's almost nothing you need for casual home use that isn't
    > already available, for free. Just ask the folks on alt.comp.freeware for
    > details.

    You missed my point. I understand why software (or whatever) might be
    free but I questioned why it is often the main criteria.

    George, May 6, 2013
  7. Danny D

    On 5/4/2013 2:29 PM, Oren wrote:

    >> My daughter designed university and industrial laboratory plans in
    >> AutoCad. Seems to me a dip into the AutoCad universe might yield some
    >> useful pathways.

    > Congratulations. By the time I hit the AutoCAD learning curve, I
    > could just as well use a drafting board, T-squares and some tools to
    > design a pool pump system.

    Well worth the investment even if you do casual stuff. Same thing with
    say spreadsheets. Once you learn how easy it is to experiment and do
    "what if" you will see what I mean.

    My 78 year old neighbor took some Autocad courses at the local community
    college last year and does some amazing stuff for his othger hobbies.

    George, May 6, 2013
  8. Danny D

    On 5/5/2013 5:02 PM, isw wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > harry <> wrote:
    >
    >> On May 4, 7:27 pm, isw <> wrote:

    >>> Don't forget to factor in the cost of all the planning and design you'll
    >>> be doing to "eliminate a connection or two". Spending a lot of
    >>> time/money on that sort of design is only economical when the product
    >>> will be replicated many times.

    >>> Where can you buy plastic pipes in all sorts of "flexible curves", and
    >>> joints at random angles to match?
    >>>
    >>> Isaac

    >> You use flexible pipes rather than rigid ones that need all those
    >> fittings.

    > Which cost how much more? And are likely not as durable.

    The problem is the OP only stated the main criteria is that software
    must be free. They didn't state if this is a hobby and they are building
    one of or a prototype that may be made many times in production. In the
    first case cost of extra parts and manufacturability aren't even a concern.

    George, May 6, 2013
  9. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Mon, 06 May 2013 07:39:52 -0400, George wrote:

    > You missed my point. I understand why software (or whatever) might be
    > free but I questioned why it is often the main criteria.

    Oh, OK.

    Well, I think KRW aptly answered that aspect of the question then.

    Danny D, May 6, 2013
  10. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Mon, 06 May 2013 07:48:16 -0400, George wrote:

    > They didn't state if this is a hobby and they are building
    > one of or a prototype that may be made many times in production.

    My mistake.

    It's a one-time pool plumbing repair by a homeowner who is
    clearly inexperienced with pool plumbing yet who is very
    experienced with freeware.

    There is no absolute need for the software; and it would only
    be used once (or perhaps a few times in a lifetime of typical
    home repair projects).

    The reason for alt.comp.freeware should be obvious as that's where
    99% of the software comes from on my machine (all legitimate).

    The reason for alt.home.repair should also be obvious as they
    have the expertise to advise on plumbing particulars, tools,
    methods, techniques, ideas, etc.

    And, the reason for rec.photo.digital is, perhaps less obvious,
    since that's mostly professionals; however some must be
    cognizant of the freeware extant that converts JPEG photos
    to 2D (and 3D) CAD drawings.

    In fact, we've come up with multiple solutions, as we usually
    do, which will do the job for the typical homeowner:
    a) Inkscape (I used this to convert JPEG to vector DXF pencil drawing)
    http://inkscape.org/download/
    b) Trimble SketchUp (needs to run under Wine for Linux)
    http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/index.html
    c) Sourceforge Blender
    http://www.blender.org/download
    d) Dassault Draftsight
    http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/
    e) Flexihose ?
    ?

    Danny D, May 6, 2013
  11. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    Danny D, May 6, 2013
  12. Danny D

    Tommy Guest

    "Danny D" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 May 2013 21:30:34 +0100, Tommy wrote:
    >
    >> Had a job finding a supplier in US; but hereyago
    >> http://www.contractorsdirect.com/General-Tools/Water-Pump-Accessories/

    > Wacker-Hose-Accessories-Pumps
    >
    > The picture & description at that URL ( http://tinyurl.com/dxbbodn )
    > looks just like my 60 feet of vacuum hose!
    >
    > http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/12866318/img/12866318.jpg

    Good, I'm glad I could help :)

    PS as an afterthought, I used Qualpex (I always called it qualplex) all over
    the house, for the heating system and for some cold supply.
    Probably a different name in teh US..
    I know they do it in larger sizes but can't find it. Might I also add that
    plastic piping 'needs' to be supported every few feet if elevated (or
    hanging), I would recommend 6 feet.

    Quote/
    Cross-linking is a widely employed method of forging permanent links between
    polymer chains to form an interwoven three dimensional lattice within the
    pipe wall. This greatly reduces the ability of polymer to creep with time
    and allows the burst resistance of Qual-PEX to be maintained almost
    indefiinitely at high temperatures.

    http://www.pipelife.ie/ie/products/Buildings/Hot_and_Cold/Qual_PEX_Plumbing_System.php

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/dyzncxs

    Cheers
    Tommy

    Tommy, May 7, 2013
  13. Danny D

    Oren Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Mon, 6 May 2013 15:35:31 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >It's a one-time pool plumbing repair by a homeowner who is
    >clearly inexperienced with pool plumbing yet who is very
    >experienced with freeware.
    >
    >There is no absolute need for the software; and it would only
    >be used once (or perhaps a few times in a lifetime of typical
    >home repair projects).

    Two people were talking. I drew a coffered ceiling on the concrete
    floor with a pencil. The owner liked the basics. Bubba and me built
    it.

    A "freeware" carpenter's pencil!

    Oren, May 7, 2013
  14. Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On 04.05.2013 11:38, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > I don't know if any of them are free, but IIRC there are several pipe
    > planner software systems that do this kind of thing, including
    > automating some of the routing for you.

    I used to use Bentley Microstation for that. Not exactly freeware...
    ;-)

    It were not able to recognize photographs and to OCR them into a 3D
    model neither.
    If you had a solution, you could probably approach Bentley,, they would
    be happy to purchase a license...

    --
    One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
    One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)

    Laszlo Lebrun, May 7, 2013
  15. Danny D

    Danny D Guest

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 07:03:13 -0700, Square Peg wrote:

    > Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    > someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).

    When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.

    And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.

    Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.

    You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    if you don't believe me).

    Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    become a useful productive member of the community.

    Danny D, May 7, 2013
  16. Danny D

    nospam Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    In article <kmbah9$se1$>, Danny D
    <> wrote:

    > > Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    > > someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    > A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    > kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    > for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >
    > When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    > replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >
    > And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    > I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >
    > Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    > for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >
    > You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    > for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    > if you don't believe me).
    >
    > Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    > become a useful productive member of the community.

    do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    for free all day long?

    nospam, May 7, 2013
  17. Danny D

    Oren Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Tue, 7 May 2013 16:35:53 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 May 2013 07:03:13 -0700, Square Peg wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    >> someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    >A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    >kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    >for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >
    >When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    >replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >
    >And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    >I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >
    >Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    >for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >
    >You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    >for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    >if you don't believe me).
    >
    >Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    >become a useful productive member of the community.

    Touche`

    Oren, May 7, 2013
  18. Danny D

    Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:10:01 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 5/7/13 12:26 PM, in article 070520131326429666%,
    >"nospam" <> wrote:

    >>> A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    >>> kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    >>> for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >>>
    >>> When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    >>> replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >>>
    >>> And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    >>> I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >>>
    >>> Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    >>> for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >>>
    >>> You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    >>> for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    >>> if you don't believe me).
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    >>> become a useful productive member of the community.

    >> do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >> for free all day long?

    >Gotta be a Democrat.
    >
    ><steps back and ducking in anticipation of the incoming barrage>

    Oh, hell no. If he were a Democrat, it would be government's job.

    , May 7, 2013
  19. Danny D

    Tony Cooper Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 4 May 2013 05:33:42 +0000 (UTC), Danny D <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I would like freeware to convert a JPG photo into whatever format I
    >>need so that I can "arrange" pumps and pipes around in the drawing
    >>to determine an efficient setup (few elbows, no pipes running over pumps,
    >>etc.).

    >Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    >someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    I don't see the problem, here. The guy is providing free tips for a
    forum on home repair to people who want to save money by doing things
    themselves instead of hiring pros. Why should he spend money on
    programs if he can use freebies?

    Many for-pay software programs started out as freeware. Jasc's Paint
    Shop Pro was freeware. Jasc built up a following as freeware and sold
    out to Corel. Forte Agent was freeware, and still has a free version,
    but now charges for a better version. Adobe Photoshop and Elements
    were never freeware, but free versions of both programs were available
    as bundled software and free to the end user. Nero was free as
    bundled software. Open Office remains freeware. I use a Tinne's
    Desktop Calendar that was freeware for XP but is now $19.95 for
    Windows X. I paid the $19.95 because I liked using the freeware
    version. I could go on and on.

    The software provider of freeware is usually offering the product as
    freeware to build up a following so they can later charge. It's
    marketing path.

    If you can get freeware that does the job, why not?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 8, 2013
  20. Danny D

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Re: How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

    On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:26:42 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <kmbah9$se1$>, Danny D
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> > Maybe you could go over to the home repair NG and see if you can find
    >> > someone to mow your lawn for free, too.

    >> A few doors down the street, my neighbor broke his leg and his
    >> kids are off to college so I offered to help clean his pool
    >> for him (we just had a wind storm, here in the valley).
    >>
    >> When I see a bad cable in a friend's garage, I help him
    >> replace the cable & adjust the doors, for free.
    >>
    >> And, when a friend's toilet has those brown stains on them,
    >> I bring over my pool acid and we clean it together, for free.
    >>
    >> Same thing with the guys who write the software who offer it up
    >> for free - expressly so that people like us will benefit.
    >>
    >> You're the only one that thinks that nobody does anything
    >> for free. I do it all the time (proof is in the a.h.r record
    >> if you don't believe me).
    >>
    >> Why don't you do something for free today, yourself, and
    >> become a useful productive member of the community.

    >do you have a real job or do you just fix things in your neighborhood
    >for free all day long?

    Do you get paid to pimp for Apple, or do you just do it for free?
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 8, 2013