How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN (Non AD Environment)?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
    machine to a printer that is on the LAN?

    The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
    IP of 192.168.1.104.

    The printer is an HP PSC 2350.

    I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
    the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
    manually without having to install all the other rubbish?

    If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
    without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
    the issue.

    If I go to Printers, add Printer, I get two options:

    1) Local printer attached to this computer
    2) A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer

    I choose (2).

    Next I get:

    1) Find a printer in the directory

    Presumably for when I am on a domain with Active Directory or
    something similar.

    2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
    option and click next)

    I can type a 'name' into the box and the example is:
    \\server\printer
    I guess that is for when I am connecting to a printer that is attached
    to another computer or at least installed on that computer like a
    print server. That would mean I would have to have that other
    computer always on for the printer to work?

    3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network

    I can type a URL into the box.
    The example is:
    http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer
    This seems like my best bet, but what would I put in the box??

    Help maintain my sanity, even if I lose my self respect as I suspect I
    am going to kick myself!

    Thanks,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 11, 2008

  2. Alan

    thingy Guest

    Re: How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN(Non AD Environment)?

    Hi,

    jetdirect'ing it on port 9100

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 11, 2008

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > jetdirect'ing it on port 9100
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Hi Thing,

    Thanks for the reply - But I don't get it.

    Which of those three options do I have to go for?

    Alan, Mar 11, 2008
  4. Alan

    Bobs Guest

    Re: How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN(Non AD Environment)?

    Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
    wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
    a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.

    http://support.uchicago.edu/docs/misc/windows/printing/

    Here you go.

    Bobs, Mar 11, 2008
  5. Re: How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN (NonAD Environment)?

    In <fr4rk4$u5$> Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
    > machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
    >
    > The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
    > IP of 192.168.1.104.
    >
    > The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
    >
    > I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
    > the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
    > manually without having to install all the other rubbish?
    >
    > If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
    > without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
    > the issue.

    You could try installing Bonjour. I've never used it with Windows but
    it's free and it's got to be better software than anything HP would give
    you.

    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

    From the blurb:
    "The Bonjour Printer Wizard is also included and allows Windows
    computers to print to Bonjour networked printers, including USB shared
    printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base
    Stations. Since Apple first launched Bonjour in 2002, every major maker
    of network printers has adopted Bonjour. With the Bonjour Printer Wizard,
    computers using Windows can also experience the benefits of effortlessly
    discovering and printing to these Bonjour printers."

    I think you'll still need the HP software if you want to do anything
    besides print though.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Mar 11, 2008
  6. Alan

    Justin Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> jetdirect'ing it on port 9100
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > Hi Thing,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply - But I don't get it.
    >
    > Which of those three options do I have to go for?
    >
    > 1) Find a printer in the directory
    >
    > 2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
    > option and click next)
    >
    > 3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
    >
    > Thanks,

    Don't install a Network Printer. Install a local printer, untick
    automatically detect it.

    When asked for a port click new and select Standard TCP/IP. Input the IP
    address in the first line and it will fillout the second with
    IP_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. It will prompt you for what type of print server. I
    think Standard HP type will work OK

    That should be all you need to do.

    Regards

    Justin
    Justin, Mar 11, 2008
  7. Alan

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
    > wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
    > a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.

    I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the SMB
    route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
    connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying another
    250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the TCP/IP
    route and it set up fine.

    Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended to
    have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.

    Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
    (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
    should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on the
    basis of the printer's MAC number.
    peterwn, Mar 11, 2008
  8. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    >> Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
    >> wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
    >> a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.
    >>

    > I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the SMB
    > route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
    > connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying another
    > 250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the TCP/IP
    > route and it set up fine.
    >
    > Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended to
    > have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.
    >
    > Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
    > (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
    > should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on the
    > basis of the printer's MAC number.

    It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally be a
    static one.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 11, 2008
  9. On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:36:52 +1300, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
    >machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
    >
    >The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
    >IP of 192.168.1.104.
    >
    >The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
    >
    >I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
    >the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
    >manually without having to install all the other rubbish?

    I know you don't want to install all the crap that came with it, but
    all you seem to need is inpw_en.exe (5.9 MB) which is
    presumably included. This is the "Install Network Printer Wizard". It
    is also available at

    <http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ja-7489-8&lang=en&cc=us&mode=3&>

    I've used an earlier version (4 something, called hpjsi_en.exe) on
    both W98 & XP with a Jetdirect server box and it's fairly painless.

    I'll grant that you won't learn much doing it this way, except how to
    get home sooner :)

    snip

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Mar 11, 2008
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > peterwn wrote:
    >> On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    >>> Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer
    >>> on the
    >>> wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to
    >>> create
    >>> a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job
    >>> done.
    >>>

    >> I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the
    >> SMB
    >> route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
    >> connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying
    >> another
    >> 250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the
    >> TCP/IP
    >> route and it set up fine.
    >>
    >> Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended
    >> have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.
    >>
    >> Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
    >> (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
    >> should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on
    >> the
    >> basis of the printer's MAC number.
    > >

    > It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally be
    > a static one.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing'
    > or 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    In my specific case, I checked and yes it is static (DHCP is turned
    off).

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 12, 2008
  11. Re: How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN(Non AD Environment)?

    Alan wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the
    >>> SMB
    >>> route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
    >>> connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying
    >>> another
    >>> 250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the
    >>> TCP/IP
    >>> route and it set up fine.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended
    >>> have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.
    >>>
    >>> Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
    >>> (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
    >>> should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on
    >>> the
    >>> basis of the printer's MAC number.
    >>>

    >> It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally be
    >> a static one.
    >>

    > In my specific case, I checked and yes it is static (DHCP is turned
    > off).

    Can you ping it ?
    Mark Robinson, Mar 12, 2008
  12. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally
    >>> be
    >>> a static one.
    >>>

    >> In my specific case, I checked and yes it is static (DHCP is turned
    >> off).

    > Can you ping it ?

    I can definitely ping it and I can also connect to the printer's web
    interface on that IP address (http://192.168.1.104).

    That is not unexpected though? The printer works fine from the
    machine(s) that I did install the HP software on, but this time I
    would prefer to avoid that (if possible!)

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 12, 2008
  13. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <fr4rk4$u5$> Alan wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
    >> machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
    >>
    >> The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has
    >> an
    >> IP of 192.168.1.104.
    >>
    >> The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
    >>
    >> I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing
    >> so
    >> the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
    >> manually without having to install all the other rubbish?
    >>
    >> If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
    >> without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
    >> the issue.

    > You could try installing Bonjour. I've never used it with Windows
    > but
    > it's free and it's got to be better software than anything HP would
    > give
    > you.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html
    >
    > From the blurb:
    > "The Bonjour Printer Wizard is also included and allows Windows
    > computers to print to Bonjour networked printers, including USB
    > shared
    > printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base
    > Stations. Since Apple first launched Bonjour in 2002, every major
    > maker
    > of network printers has adopted Bonjour. With the Bonjour Printer
    > Wizard,
    > computers using Windows can also experience the benefits of
    > effortlessly
    > discovering and printing to these Bonjour printers."
    >
    > I think you'll still need the HP software if you want to do anything
    > besides print though.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Hi Roger,

    Thank you for the suggestion - I was not aare of that option.

    However, I would prefer not to have to install *anything* (other than
    perhaps the core drivers) if at all possible.

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 12, 2008
  14. Alan

    sam Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> In my specific case, I checked and yes it is static (DHCP is turned
    >>> off).

    >> Can you ping it ?

    > I can definitely ping it and I can also connect to the printer's web
    > interface on that IP address (http://192.168.1.104).
    >
    > That is not unexpected though? The printer works fine from the
    > machine(s) that I did install the HP software on, but this time I
    > would prefer to avoid that (if possible!)
    >
    > Thanks,

    Have a look at the port settings in the printer properties on the PC
    that it works on, and duplicate them as a local port on the other PC
    (Add a Printer/Create a New Port/ etc)
    sam, Mar 12, 2008