    But so far my search terms are bringing me nothing useful.

    ---
    Kyote

    Kyote, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Kyote

    Robert Baer Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > I have an old computer that still seems to work just fine. It has
    > windows 98 first edition on it. I do have win 98 se I can and will
    > install as well but wanted to play around with this for a bit to see
    > if I can get it to connect to my broadband net connection through my
    > router. It has a very old network card in it.
    >
    > device manager says it's a NE2000 compatible network card. I've never
    > tried to connect win 98 to a router before. Heck, not even to a
    > broadband net connection before either. I'm going to Google it some
    > more but thought I'd ask if anyone here could point me in the right
    > direction and/or tell me what to do to make it work?
    >
    > Heck, maybe just what I should be searching for might be enough help.
    > But so far my search terms are bringing me nothing useful.
    >

    > ---
    > Kyote

    I am a total network doofus, but a friend of mine says to install
    Win98SE and the card and work with the default: no addresses, no names,
    no drivers - the simpler the better.
    Let me know the results, please.

    Robert Baer, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    > I am a total network doofus, but a friend of mine says to install
    >Win98SE and the card and work with the default: no addresses, no names,
    >no drivers - the simpler the better.
    > Let me know the results, please.

    I think the card is dead. I upgraded to 98se and got no improvement. I
    asked on here cause I thought I was doing something wrong. But after I
    posted I continued to Google and found a couple sites that said the
    same thing you did. But no improvement so I'm betting this card is
    just junk. My other NIC cards are no where to be found. I might have
    misplaced them when I moved... ahh well, it'll have to wait. But I do
    believe it'll work once I use a good nic.

    Thanks for the reply Mate. I appreciate it very much. Tell your friend
    thank you for me too please?

    ---
    Kyote

    Kyote, Dec 7, 2006