how to connect Orange Livebox and Linksys Routers - attempt 2 !

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RJK, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Please forgive me asking this again but, I think I have a slightly better
    idea about this but, still nowhere near enough ...expertise !
    (...other thread is perhaps abandoned ? ...)

    I'd like to again try connecting this Orange Livebox to Linksys WAG354G, (or
    the other way around), again but, my little bit of trial and error and
    reading has raised more questions than for which I've been able to locate
    answers.

    I tried http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html but, the more I read this
    procedure the more confused I become i.e. it seems to raise so many
    questions about DHCP and address ranges. I want to have wireless in the
    Livebox switched off, and on in the Linksys. ...is this heading towards
    Port Forwarding, (or "Static Routing" as supported in the Linksys), or do I
    still neeed to put one of them in a DMZ ?
    Would it be better to have the adsl line plugged into the Linksys ? ...would
    it then be called the "main router"

    Is "base address" the same as the "router IP address" ?
    Is assigning 192.168.1.1 (which was the default address) to the Livebox, and
    assigning 192.168.1.2 to the Linksys okay ?
    Is it possible or necessary to have DHCP on in both routers - with different
    address ranges of course ?
    In which router do I have to set a DMZ ?
    Is that DMZ the local IP address of one of the routers ?
    Does NAT firewalls in one of them have to be turned off, or is that the same
    as applying a DMZ ?
    When I click status in the Linksys router, or Livebox, and look at my IP
    address, I noticd that my dynamic IP address is 84.??.??.?? etc. and the
    subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 Does this have to different that the LAN
    subnet mask in the routers which are both 255.255.255.0 or should it be the
    same ?
    i.e. Should the LAN subnet be 255.255.255.0 in both routers ?

    Would it be better to connect them the other way around - still with
    wireless switched off in Livebox, in view that the firmware in the Livebox
    seems less adjustable than that in the Linksys. i.e. I don't think I can
    switch off DHCP in the Livebox but, only control the address range, and you
    can't individually control NAT filter proxy, Java Applets, ActiveX controls
    and Cookies like you can in the Linksys. Also, one can't appear to control
    the MAC
    addresses of wirelessly connected computers in the Livebox like you can in
    the Linksys.

    I want to retain the VOIP feature in the Livebox. Would that be possible
    having the Linksys
    connected as the main modem/router, and the Livebox connected to it by rj45
    lead.
    ....or should I be heading towards this type of configuration
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ?

    There is a "Static Routing" feature in the Linksys WAG354G router, would
    that be a
    better approach ?
    i.e. have the adsl line into the Linksys and set use Static Routing, as in
    that menu I can set Destination IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and
    Hopcount ?

    Am I right in suspecting that with DHCP turned off in the Linksys | wireless
    on in Linksys | and wireless off in the Livebox, that I would have the
    dveils own job getting Dads WMP54G in the house to connect ?

    If I had the Linksys connected as the main router, (i.e. adsl line plugged
    into it), and it supplying internet to my PC on rj45 lead | and wireless to
    Dads PC, and connected the Livebox to it so that it can access the internet
    for VOIP, how would I configure both routers ? :)

    Do I need Upnp on in on or both of them ?

    ....phew !

    Thanks in advance for any help

    regards, Richard
    RJK, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Hi
    Unless you have a Network topology reason to divide your Network into two
    separate entities that can communicate only one way, you do not need two
    Routers. Reading your previous huge thread I do not see a reason to create
    two separate Network.
    If you configure the Wireless Device as described in
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html you are going to have one Network.
    All of the devices would get their IP's from the first Router's DHCP, even
    if they are connecting through the WAG354G.
    Since the WAG354G is going to be configured as a TRANSPARENT Wireless "hub"
    (not as a Router) there is No DMZ, ports, or uPnP issues with it. DMZ and
    Port forwarding are necessary when connection through a Router, but your
    WAG354G will not act as a Router.
    In any case it takes 10 minutes to try, and you can always revert to what
    ever else you might contemplated.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 9, 2007

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Big Thanks

    (Sorry about the other awful huge thread <blush>)

    I think you answered the hair I was trying to split i.e. (with adsl line
    connected to Livebox and wireless switched off in it, but of course switched
    on in WAG354G), internet will be supplied by Livebox to WAG354G, which will
    supply internet wirelessly to Dads' WMP54G but, is the WMP54G doing a
    pre-shared key with the Linksys or the Livebox ? ....I obviously just try
    one or the other !

    ....can't wait for my next 2 days off to have another go !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 9, 2007
  4. Hi
    Wireless security is not related to DHCP, IP, DMZ, port etc.
    Wireless security has to be set between the Wireless Access Point and its
    Clients. I.e. WPA is set on the WAG354G and Dad's computer.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 9, 2007
  5. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    Ok the reason to use two routers are
    1) the livebox is dumb, and very limited. And I believe also is your DSL
    modem.
    2) He needs the VoIP feature of the Livebox.
    3) he wants the enhanced commands of the Linksys.

    My solution is to use two routers and create one network.

    To do this the DSL connection plugs into the livebox, and his phones plug
    into the livebox.
    The Livebox is put into it's do nothing mode and it passes everything to the
    Linksys.
    The Linksys is the only device connected to the livebox, and is in the
    livebox's DMZ zone.
    As the Linksys is in the DMZ zone of the livebox it will get all traffic
    forwarded to it. (except for the IP ports needed for the VoIP connection.
    (By doing it this way we don't need to worry about writing rules for the
    VoIP phones so that they ring when called, and there is one less thing to
    fail and thereby potently break the phones. Are you with me so far?)

    All of the computing devices will be connected to the Linksys So we can now
    use the Linksys more powerful commands.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 9, 2007
  6. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    Jack with what little I've read on the livebox I believe you are taking RJK
    down a bad road.
    I've read enough to suggest that the livebox does not provide a reliable
    networking connection, when it comes to sharing.

    If you've actually gotten someone networking with a livebox I'll shut up :)

    David Hettel, Jan 9, 2007
  7. Hi

    I am aware some the VOIP trepidations.

    It might be that if the Network would become more complex in the future,
    change of topology would be necessary (and RJK should copy and paste all of
    these exchanges into a document and keep it available).

    Right now giving the small number of computers that are involved I think
    that the NAT and the DHCP of the Live Box can handle it. The advance
    Wireless and its Wireless specific setting would be available through the
    Linksys.

    In addition, the WAG354G is a combo DSL Modem/Router. I.e. not a regular
    flexible Router to begin with (probably does not even have a WAN port the
    older wag45g did not have one).

    I believe that it is better to start with something relatively simple and
    make it work, creating a base baseline. Then with time, and more knowledge
    the user can be more creative.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 10, 2007
  8. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    I was talking about sharing of network resources between computers, and the
    livebox. What I've seen post suggested it's unreliable, or flat out doesn't
    work. Well if the wag45g is also a combo modem/router, without a wan port
    then my idea is not going to work.

    David Hettel, Jan 10, 2007