    Thank you in advance,
    Joe Parrish
    , Nov 8, 2004

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    <SNIPPED> wrote in message news:418ecb7f_1@127.0.0.1...
    | Hello,
    | I need help understanding the steps to adding my laptop (WindowsXP Pro) to
    | my home network which already has two other computers running, both of
    which
    | are using W2KPro. For some people this may be a no brainer but I just sit
    | there looking at the WXP instructions and all I can do is ...blink. Can
    you
    | help?
    | Thank you in advance,
    | Joe Parrish

    First, Joe, I'd strongly suggest not using your email address here...read
    the following web pages

    Munging
    WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

    Second, do you have the correct wireless hardware in your laptop (Centrino
    technology, wireless adapter - either built-in or PCMCIA card)? And you have
    a wireless router or access point installed?

    If you have the hardware installed, then try the Home Network Setup Wizard
    in Windows XP. Open "My Computer", then on the left, click on "My Network
    Places", then "Set up a home or small office network". You may need to run
    the "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office" as well (or
    instead?) although I've never used it.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in news:418ecb7f_1@127.0.0.1:

    > Hello,
    > I need help understanding the steps to adding my laptop (WindowsXP
    > Pro) to my home network which already has two other computers running,
    > both of which are using W2KPro. For some people this may be a no
    > brainer but I just sit there looking at the WXP instructions and all I
    > can do is ...blink. Can you help?
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Joe Parrish

    HTH

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 8, 2004
  4. 127.0.0.1 Guest

    <> wrote in message news:418ecb7f_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Hello,
    > I need help understanding the steps to adding my laptop (WindowsXP Pro) to
    > my home network which already has two other computers running, both of
    > which
    > are using W2KPro. For some people this may be a no brainer but I just sit
    > there looking at the WXP instructions and all I can do is ...blink. Can
    > you
    > help?
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Joe Parrish

    need more information...
    do the other two computers using wireless also?
    what of wireless speed? (802.11b/g, B and G can be mixed)

    wireless router? or combo ICS + wired + wireless?

    turn off any firewalls (including xpsp2) and turn off wireless encryptions.
    once the wireless device drivers are installed, it should detect any present
    wireless networks.

    trial and error is never a waste of time.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Guest

    Toolman Tim said:
    First, Joe, I'd strongly suggest not using your email address here...

    Thank you Toolman but what do you suggest? Setting up a proxy email address?
    If so, can you tell me how to do that?
    Thanks,
    Joe Parrish
    , Nov 8, 2004
  6. Guest

    Yes I do have the correct wireless hardware as I have used it on the road at
    Flying J and it works perfectly. Our wireless router is 2Wire through
    SBC/Yahoo and it has been working flawlessley for the past year on our other
    2 computers. I did try to run the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on my laptop
    but without any success. The laptop is a Toshiba Satalite with a Windows 2.6
    gig Celeron processor.
    Joe
    , Nov 8, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message news:418ee895$1_5@127.0.0.1...
    | Toolman Tim said:
    | First, Joe, I'd strongly suggest not using your email address here...
    |
    | Thank you Toolman but what do you suggest? Setting up a proxy email
    address?
    | If so, can you tell me how to do that?
    | Thanks,
    | Joe Parrish

    I don't know anything about your news reader - News Rover. You must have set
    up an account in your PC when you installed News Rover, and at that time you
    put in your email address. So look through it's menus (and/or help files) to
    learn how to modify your account settings. When you get there, find your
    email address, then modify it as suggested in those web sites. The simplest
    is to replace prodigy.net with prodigy.invalid.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Guest

    This is a test to see whether I set up my proxy correctly per Toolman Tim's
    suggestion.
    , Nov 8, 2004
  9. Guest

    That didn't work so I'll try this.
    , Nov 8, 2004
  10. trout Guest

    wrote:

    > Toolman Tim said:
    >> First, Joe, I'd strongly suggest not using your email address here...

    > Thank you Toolman but what do you suggest? Setting up a proxy email
    > address? If so, can you tell me how to do that?
    > Thanks,
    > Joe Parrish

    I would imagine that he's suggesting just changing the name/address
    *displayed* in your news client. Usually, the only restrictions on what
    you can use are those of the news *server* used to connect. Some require
    a valid address, some only require a valid form: ie
    lid.
    The 'invalid' bit is the most important part, as it will prevent the
    accidental use of a real domain that might be spammed due to it being
    'harvested' in usenet.
    If you *do* post through a server that requires a 'real' address,
    many people use a free account such as Hotmail, etc., as a 'throw-away'
    spam-dump account. Alternatively, there are also resources such as
    privacy.net that allow use of a number of 'real', but auto-reply
    addresses (such as the one I'm using).
    As for the actual configuration of your News client; I'm not
    familiar with NewsRover, so I can't give you instructions. I suggest you
    have a look through your configuration and tools settings.
    If no one answers in this thread, you could also try in
    news.software.readers (be sure to put the term [NewsRover] in the
    subject line.
    --
    "Good luck."
    trout, Nov 8, 2004
  11. wrote:
    > That didn't work so I'll try this.

    With News Rover open, click on the Configure menu, then choose the
    "Identity" tab. With your newsgroup identity highlighted, click on the
    Properties button. In the General and Usenet tabs change your info.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Toolman Tim Guest

    <SNIPPED> wrote in message news:418ef42f$1_3@127.0.0.1...
    | This is a test to see whether I set up my proxy correctly per Toolman
    Tim's
    | suggestion.

    Nope...'fraid not. Still showed your real email in the headers (and my reply
    before I snipped it).
    Toolman Tim, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Guest

    To the person who gave me the procedure to make a proxy name for Newsrover,
    thank you!
    , Nov 8, 2004