    ####################
    ## PH, London
    ####################

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 26, 2005

  2. "Philip Herlihy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
    > docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
    > Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
    > good!
    >
    > I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
    > access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is

    based
    > on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
    > common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
    > can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
    > received!
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################

    Create an account name / password on all your home machines
    that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
    should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
    network.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Apr 26, 2005

  3. Philip Herlihy

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:07:51 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
    >docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
    >Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
    >good!
    >
    >I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
    >access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is based
    >on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
    >common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
    >can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
    >received!

    Philip,

    What operating system is on the computer(s) at home - XP Home? XP Pro? Other?
    This makes a difference. The AD membership of the laptop shouldn't though.

    Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
    so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
    very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

    If you're able to connect the laptop to your home network, and login to the
    laptop, you should be able to find the shared printer etc in Network
    Neighborhood (My Network Places) - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network.

    But you do have to make authentication on the laptop compatible with the other
    computer.

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS consistently set on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
    user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
    common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
    an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
    Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
    "cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
    that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
    userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
    new password.

    Remember, with Simple File Sharing, you'll not be able to access "C:\Program
    Files", "C:\Windows", or any of the profile related folders such as "My
    Documents". All of those folders require individual user, or administrator
    access, and Guest access gives you neither.

    On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
    on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
    from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

    Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
    so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
    very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

    More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87c0a6db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Apr 26, 2005
  4. this may help. quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup computer?
    I have a home wireless network and share files and a printer between two computers. I also use Win 2000/XP laptop at work with domain network. How can I share files between these computers at home?

    A: Deepening on your network setup, you may 1) Logon local laptop using the same logon id and password on both machine.
    2) change workgroup name to match win2000 domain and the laptop needs to install at home first ad then join the domain .
    3) without changing the workgroup name and logon ID, just enable guest account in win 2000/XP.
    4) If you are running XP, enable Simple File Sharing.
    5) logon domain user on the domain laptop (even the workgroup is different), use command net use \\workgroupcomputer /user:administrator, (here administrator is workgroup computer local administrator), the enter workgroup computer administrator password. You should be able to access the workgroup resources.

    Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!

    Robert L [MS-MVP], Apr 26, 2005
  5. -- latest at the bottom here...

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message

    > "Philip Herlihy" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
    >> docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
    >> Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
    >> good!
    >>
    >> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and
    >> get
    >> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is

    > based
    >> on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
    >> common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
    >> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
    >> received!
    >>
    >> --
    >> ####################
    >> ## PH, London
    >> ####################
    >>

    > Create an account name / password on all your home machines
    > that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
    > should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
    > network.

    I thought the home machines have to share a common workgroup, which the
    laptop can't do?

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 27, 2005
  6. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > administrator
    > access, and Guest access gives you neither.
    >
    > On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    > Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights
    > Assignment,
    > on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    > network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this
    > computer
    > from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.
    >
    > Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third
    > party)? If
    > so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations
    > are a
    > very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
    >
    > More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:

    Thank, Chuck - will study in detail later. At home two machines are XP Pro
    and one is Win2K. There may be a W98 machine involved, but that's less
    critical.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Thanks, Bob - I'll study in detail later. (Late for the office!)

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <> wrote in message
    this may help. quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup
    computer?
    I have a home wireless network and share files and a printer between two
    computers. I also use Win 2000/XP laptop at work with domain network. How
    can I share files between these computers at home?
    A: Deepening on your network setup, you may 1) Logon local laptop using the
    same logon id and password on both machine.

    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 27, 2005
  8. "Philip Herlihy" <> wrote in message
    > -- latest at the bottom here...
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Philip Herlihy" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
    > >> docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to

    the
    > >> Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
    > >> good!
    > >>
    > >> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and
    > >> get
    > >> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is

    > > based
    > >> on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
    > >> common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I

    sure
    > >> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
    > >> received!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ####################
    > >> ## PH, London
    > >> ####################
    > >>

    > > Create an account name / password on all your home machines
    > > that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
    > > should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
    > > network.
    > >

    > I thought the home machines have to share a common workgroup, which the
    > laptop can't do?

    Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
    network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
    names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
    the account names and passwords that count.

    To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
    out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:

    net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare

    or, on a Win2000/XP PC:

    net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Apr 27, 2005
  9. "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message

    > Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
    > network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
    > names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
    > the account names and passwords that count.
    >
    > To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
    > out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
    >
    > net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
    >
    > or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
    >
    > net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

    Is that because XP doesn't have NetBIOS?

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 30, 2005
  10. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > administrator
    > access, and Guest access gives you neither.
    >
    > On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    > Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights
    > Assignment,
    > on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    > network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this
    > computer
    > from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.
    >
    > Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third
    > party)? If
    > so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations
    > are a
    > very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
    >
    > More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:

    Thanks - I'm really grateful for the time you've taken to spell out these
    configuration options (mostly new to me!).

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 30, 2005
  11. "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message

    > Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
    > network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
    > names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
    > the account names and passwords that count.
    >
    > To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
    > out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
    >
    > net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
    >
    > or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
    >
    > net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

    By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!
    :)

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 30, 2005
  12. Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.

    I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
    understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
    (!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.

    One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
    concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
    the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
    reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
    shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Apr 30, 2005
  13. Philip Herlihy

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:50:34 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.
    >
    >I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
    >understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
    >(!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.
    >
    >One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
    >concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
    >the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
    >reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
    >shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

    Philip,

    With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate by
    local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login to
    locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and that
    you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords properly
    synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings) won't
    matter.

    Chuck, Apr 30, 2005
  14. "Philip Herlihy" <> wrote in message
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
    > > network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
    > > names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
    > > the account names and passwords that count.
    > >
    > > To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
    > > out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
    > >
    > > net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
    > >
    > > or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
    > >
    > > net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare
    > >

    > Is that because XP doesn't have NetBIOS?

    I don't have the in-depth knowledge on protocols to answer
    your question with any degree of confidence.

    > By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!
    > :)

    You're welcome.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), May 1, 2005
  15. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
    > by
    > local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
    > locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
    > that
    > you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
    > properly
    > synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
    > won't
    > matter.

    Thanks again for your patient help!

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, May 2, 2005
  16. Philip Herlihy

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:30:47 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >"Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >> With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
    >> by
    >> local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
    >> locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
    >> that
    >> you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
    >> properly
    >> synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
    >> won't
    >> matter.
    >>

    >Thanks again for your patient help!

    YW, Philip. Thanks for the feedback!

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, May 2, 2005
  17. Philip Herlihy

    bloofish

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Similar problem... I need your help. Thanks!

    Looks like my problem is similar to this thread. Do you guys mind responding to the thread I just posted? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

    put www in front velocityreviews.com/forums/t665951-help-sharing-filesprinter-between-corporate-laptop-win2k-and-home-pc-xp-home.html

    bloofish, Jan 17, 2009