How to Confirm that a Hard Drive is in UDMA mode with Windows ME?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mark D. Fain, May 31, 2004.

  1. Mark D. Fain

    Mark D. Fain Guest

    I have an Athlon 1.2 GHz with a recent Western Digital 80 GB/8 MB buffer
    hard drive. The drive boots and functions fine, but several different
    benchmark programs show a transfer rate of just 7.25 MB/s, which seems very
    slow for a UDMA100 capable hard drive and a UDMA66 capable
    motherboard/controller.

    I have checked in the Device manager and ensured that DMA is enable on all
    hard/optical drives.

    I have been testing out Spin Rite 5.0/ 6.0 ( which runs in DOS only). After
    adding a UDMA driver I have seen transfer rates of 52-54 MB/s in DOS, which
    seems about right with my hardware. I would expect somewhat lower rates
    under Windows, but this drop seems excessive.

    How can I confirm what mode my drive is in under Windows ME??

    Thanks,

    Mark D. Fain
    Mark D. Fain, May 31, 2004

  2. Mark D. Fain

    Thor Guest

    "Mark D. Fain" <> wrote in message
    > I have an Athlon 1.2 GHz with a recent Western Digital 80 GB/8 MB buffer
    > hard drive. The drive boots and functions fine, but several different
    > benchmark programs show a transfer rate of just 7.25 MB/s, which seems

    very
    > slow for a UDMA100 capable hard drive and a UDMA66 capable
    > motherboard/controller.
    >
    > I have checked in the Device manager and ensured that DMA is enable on all
    > hard/optical drives.
    >
    > I have been testing out Spin Rite 5.0/ 6.0 ( which runs in DOS only).

    After
    > adding a UDMA driver I have seen transfer rates of 52-54 MB/s in DOS,

    which
    > seems about right with my hardware. I would expect somewhat lower rates
    > under Windows, but this drop seems excessive.
    >
    > How can I confirm what mode my drive is in under Windows ME??

    try using HDTach to bench your drive. Even if your drive wasn't using DMA
    mode, it would still transfer much faster than 7.25MB/sec. PIO4 transfer
    rates top out at 16.7MB/sec, so somewhere in that territory is what you
    would be reading. I suspect that you are in DMA mode, but your benchmark
    programs are giving you false readings. If you were really transferring that
    slow, there's no question that it would show up as a substantial performance
    issue in windows. You would know that there was a big problem, without even
    using a benchmark.

    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach
    Thor, May 31, 2004