How to configure win 2k3 DNS so it won't try to register it to dns roots?

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by juska, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. juska

    juska

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Hi

    I have a win2k3 r2 server and it has dns and ad configured to it. I'm also going to configure exchange on it later. Now I need to know how I can stop the server from trying to register itself to Internet dns root servers? I'm using .fi instead of .local because I want the users to use the same login for email and domain. This is the only server in the domain. Only the mydomain.fi MX records should point to this server.

    Servers DNS configuration:
    The servers dns configuration points to itself as the primary dns server. Secondary dns is a public one. The has one forward lookup zone that is mydomain.fi. I don't use forwarders. Should I use them and remove all the root servers from the config?

    This is what the server tries to do:

    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.1e0caf58-17a3-4a92-8e63-6e5648b23c41.domains._msdcs.mydomain.fi. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 CTSRV.mydomain.fi.' failed on the following DNS server:

    DNS server IP address: 212.86.0.9
    Returned Response Code (RCODE): 5
    Returned Status Code: 9017

    For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS.

    USER ACTION
    Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. You can find this program on the Windows Server 2003 installation CD in Support\Tools\support.cab. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain controller, run 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service. Nltest.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows Server Resource Kit CD.
    Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended.

    ADDITIONAL DATA
    Error Value: DNS bad key.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    juska, Mar 22, 2007