  1. Nijesh

    Nijesh Guest

    some one help me to how to install this

    Nijesh, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Hi Nijesh (There's a lot of info, so you better Print!)

    In order to configure remote installation or RIS, you need to make sure you
    have a DHCP server, Active Directory with DNS running and separate 4-gigabyte
    (GB) or larger disk drive for RIS server folder (RIS cannot be installed on
    the same partition as the system volume or boot volume.). In order to Install
    RIS the drive needs to be formatted or converted to with NTFS.

    If you have not already installed Remote Installation Services through
    Control Panel or through an unattended Setup answer file, open Add or Remove
    Programs and use Add/Remove Windows Components to install the RIS component.

    In the wizard, click Next.
    You are prompted for the following information:

    Remote Installation Services Drive and Directory
    Enter the disk drive and directory where you want to install Remote
    Installation Services (RIS). The disk should be dedicated to the RIS server
    and contain enough space to store as many client images as you plan to host
    with this server. The recommended minimum amount of space is four gigabytes.
    Initial Settings
    Select Respond to client computers requesting service if you want the RIS
    server to begin responding to client computers as soon as you finish the
    wizard. Select Do not respond to unknown client computers if you want the RIS
    server to respond only to prestaged client computers in Active Directory. You
    can change these settings later.
    Source Path
    Enter the location of the client images. This can be either the compact disc
    or a shared folder that contains the installation files.
    Friendly Description and Help Text
    Enter the friendly description for the client computer installation. This
    description will be displayed to users or clients of this server. The Help
    text describes the operating system installation choices to users or clients
    of RIS.

    To configure Remote Installation Services

    1.Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2.In the console tree, right-click the applicable Remote Installation
    Services (RIS) server.
    3.Click Properties, and then in the Properties dialog box, click the Remote
    Install tab.
    4.In the Remote Install dialog box, select or clear check boxes as needed:
    Respond to client computers requesting service
    Select this option to enable the RIS server to begin responding to client
    computers. Clear it to prevent the RIS server from responding.

    Do not respond to unknown client computers: Select this option if you want
    this RIS server to respond only to prestaged client computers in Active
    Directory. Clear it if you want this RIS server to respond to any client
    computer requesting remote installation.

    •To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Domain Admins group
    or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory, or you must have been
    delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider
    using Run as to perform this procedure.

    •If you want to manage the RIS server from a computer running Windows XP,
    install the Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack on the computer
    running Windows XP. To manage a RIS server from any remote computer, use
    Remote Desktop for Administration.

    The client machine needs a Pre-Boot eXecution Environment (PXE) DHCP–based
    boot ROM version 1.00 or greater.

    By the way, a RIS server cannot be a multihomed computer; that is, it can
    contain only one network adapter.

    --
    Mervyn King (MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA)

    =?Utf-8?B?TWVydnluIEtpbmc=?=, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Nijesh

    Rome Guest

    which OS do you need help with?

    Rome, Aug 11, 2005