    appreciated.

    thanks in advance,

    sven
    Sven Juergensen, May 19, 2005

  2. Sven Juergensen

    Jonathan Guest

    "Sven Juergensen" <> wrote in message
    news:d6glud$ano$...
    > hello people,
    >
    > well, basically the question is in the subject.
    > i'm really confused about all the options for
    > this subject, lime mstp, pvst, pvst+ etc.
    >
    > could someone give me some basic pointers
    > on what's hot and what's not when it comes
    > to this? i can't use the catos-syntax so
    > an example using the ios would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    in global config:

    spanning-tree vlan [vlans] root primary | secondary
    spanning-tree vlan [vlans] priority [priority]

    This way you create a separate instance of spanning tree, per VLAN, and
    specify which switch is the root and its priority for each VLAN.

    Hence, Per-VLAN Spanning Tree.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan, May 19, 2005

  3. Sven Juergensen

    Guest

    pvst+ is enabled by default.

    Don't let the marketing confuse you. It is just basic
    spanning tree, a seperate one for each VLAN,
    with a couple of little optional twiddles that may or
    may not help in your case.

    You should choose a root switch and a backup root
    switch at the centre of your network by setting the
    bridge priority. You need to do this for each VLAN.

    The Cisco BSCMSN book (I have the second edition)
    has a good chapter on this.

    I don't like using the macros much.
    i.e. "spanning-tree vlan [vlans] root primary | secondary"

    It is so easy to just set it the way you want it with
    "spanning-tree vlan [vlans] priority [priority]"

    At least read the configuration guide for your software version.

    Unless yor network has specific requirements,
    in which case you should get someone to help,
    you do not need to do much.
    , May 19, 2005