How to configure Outlook Express for IMAP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I am having trouble configuring Outlook Express 6 for IMAP with my new
    webhost: IX Webhosting. This is what I use now for settings for them:

    incoming mail server: mail.[my domain].com
    outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net (this is my ISP's required setting)
    outgoing server does not require authentication

    Under the "Advanced" tab:

    outgoing SMTP service port: 25
    incoming IMAP service port: 143

    Under the "IMAP" tab:

    "Folders":
    root folder path: ????? [it is blank right now, and "mail/" does not work]
    "check for messages in all folders": checked

    "Special Folders":
    "store special folders on IMAP server": checked
    Sent items path: "Sent Items"
    Drafts path: "Drafts"

    I can send and receive email fine. The problem is all of my sent emails are
    being routed to the "Sent Items" folder for a local, unrelated, mail account
    on my computer (POP3), not to a folder in my IX Webhosting IMAP account. And
    no "Sent Items" or "Drafts" folders automatically downloaded when I created
    my IX Webhosting IMAP account. I created these folders later, under "Inbox",
    but the sent mails and drafts to not automatically route there.

    Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this. Perhaps I need to change my
    "root folder path"??

    There were no instructions in IX Webhosting's online manual for configuring
    IMAP. Plus when I contacted their tech support, they had no idea how to
    configure IMAP. they said it was up to me to learn to configure OE6. I tried
    doing a search about configuring IMAP for OE6, yet all the sites found were
    specific for the servers at the universities they were written for, and
    nothing I tried wroked. Moreover, the Outlook Express 6 help function did
    not go into any detail about configuring IMAP.

    Thanks for any help!

    Julie

    Julie P., Jan 27, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Dodo Guest

    Move the folders you created on the IMAP server to the root folder.

    Dodo, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Sigel Guest

    Trying to configure IMAP clients can be tricky for any server. You gotta
    know a little bit about how the IMAP server works.

    Sigel, Jan 27, 2005