How to configure Cisco routers/switches from new PCs that do not have serial ports.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by astra, Jul 10, 2008.

1. astra

astra

Hi guys.

My first post here.

I am working in college.
    We have Cisco Academy room.
    We are using old(5 years) PCs. So, when students configure Cisco routers/switches they just use Win XP + serial port + HyperTerminal.

We are getting brand new PCs for the academy. They will not have serial port.
    So I bought a cheap USB to serial converter and tried to talk to a router.....failed.
    USB to serial converter is recognised after I installed drivers and looks like an additional COM port. In fact COM3.

Dunno what to do ....

Could yopu help me please?
    Thank you in advance,
    A.

P.S. after I typed a titles for this topic I got a thought...maybe I should test the converter with a new PC that doesn't have Serial port?
    astra, Jul 10, 2008
    1. Advertising

2. astra

pasatealinux

Hello,

You must configure on your hyperterminal :

- Protocol: Serial
    - Port: Com1 <------------- here select the new Com"X" port created after USB driver installation ( as you said , COM3 )
    - Baud Rates: 9600
    - Data Bits: 8
    - Parity: None
    - Stop Bits: 1
    - Flow Control: None

You can also try to use putty client.
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Good luck !

Regards
    pasatealinux, Jul 10, 2008
    1. Advertising

3. astra

astra

It doesn't work.

I tried on two different PCs. Old one with serial port and a new one without serial port. It doesn't work.

It works only from old PC when I am connected directly to serial port.
    Could it be a problem with converter? Maybe I should obtain a different make and try it?
    astra, Jul 11, 2008
  4. astra

Qingren

hmm so coincidence a few days ago i also trying to configure router with a usb convertor as my laptop doesnt come with a com port...

now, for ur case, are u able to see anything? or complely blank?
    if completely blank, check ur configurations. ur cannot is referring to both hyper or putty? have u installed the correct drivers? r u sure u configured correctly if u using putty? where did u go to set the port? for my casse is my cable problem. u may wan to try with other cable (i mean converter) if u are very sure ur config is correct...
    Qingren, Jul 13, 2008
  5. astra

astra

OK. A brief update.

I used this converter: Converter number 1

As I said before it arrived with a corrupted CD that contained drivers. So, I dowloaded the latest from drivers for USB to Serial converter

The setup didn't work in 2 completely different(hardware wise) old PC systems.

I brought into the classroom a new rig dual core. I managed to utilise the converter only if I plugged it into USB port next to mouse slot. If I disconnected mouse or moved mouse to a different USB port, the converter would cease to work. However, if I plugged mouse to a different USB port and followed it with the converter and plugged it into USB port next to mouse, it would work….

I didn’t like it.

I went to a local store, PC World…..they didn’t USB converters have any at all. Then I went to another one, Maplin and they had one extremely expensive for 20 quid. I wanted to test it anyway, so I bought it, plugged it in and….it worked! With the drivers that I downloaded from the Internet. Drivers that came with the new converter were older version year 2005 vs.2007 from the Internet.

The new converter works from old PCs – any USB slot available and from dual core PC, also any USB slot available.

I was told to do some testing, so I connected to each of 3 types of Cisco routers that we have, configured fastethernet interface and downloaded IOS 2 times from each, and checked MD5 hash.

We need 30 converters for classroom.
    I have ordered 2 other USB converters from the internet – cheaper than 20 pounds. I think 7 and 12 pounds(Belkin). I will test them when they arrive.

The first converter is a disaster! If you follow the link and have a look at pic., you will notice that it has 2 screws! As you probably know, Cisco rollover cables have 2 screws in order to connect to serial port on the back of pc/laptop. All serial ports that I have ever seen have two holes for screws. So, how can you connect Cisco rollover cable with this converter….I don’t know  Converter from Maplin doesn’t have screws on its sides but holes, like a proper serial port. Converters I have ordered from the Internet have holes on their sides as well.

I got now another problem…but it is a different story. I have done my CCNA 3 years ago. I remembered how to connect to router, configure interface and copy flash to tftp…but I completely forgot how to do the same with Catalyst. We have 2950 and 2950T. I have to log in, configure switch and copy IOS to PC 2 times and check MD5. Don’t remember how to configure switch and give it IP address  3 years 
    I will have to look at my CCNA notes at home tonight and test Catalysts tomorrow.
    astra, Jul 16, 2008
  6. astra

astra

Students don't use putty, they use HyperTerminal only. It is a Cisco Academy.
    But I downloaded putty and tried it with the first/disastrous converter and failed to connect to router. didn't test putty with the working convertor, but I don't see any reason why it should not work if HyperTerminal works.
    astra, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertising