How to configure Cisco routers/switches from new PCs that do not have serial ports.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by astra, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. astra

    astra

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Hi guys.

    My first post here.

    I am working in college.
    We have Cisco Academy room.
    We are using old(5 years) PCs. So, when students configure Cisco routers/switches they just use Win XP + serial port + HyperTerminal.

    We are getting brand new PCs for the academy. They will not have serial port.
    So I bought a cheap USB to serial converter and tried to talk to a router.....failed.
    USB to serial converter is recognised after I installed drivers and looks like an additional COM port. In fact COM3.

    Dunno what to do ....

    Could yopu help me please?
    Thank you in advance,
    A.

    P.S. after I typed a titles for this topic I got a thought...maybe I should test the converter with a new PC that doesn't have Serial port?
    astra, Jul 10, 2008

  2. astra

    pasatealinux

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Messages:
    14
    Hello,

    You must configure on your hyperterminal :

    - Protocol: Serial
    - Port: Com1 <------------- here select the new Com"X" port created after USB driver installation ( as you said , COM3 )
    - Baud Rates: 9600
    - Data Bits: 8
    - Parity: None
    - Stop Bits: 1
    - Flow Control: None

    You can also try to use putty client.
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

    Good luck !

    Regards
    pasatealinux, Jul 10, 2008

  3. astra

    astra

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    It doesn't work.

    I tried on two different PCs. Old one with serial port and a new one without serial port. It doesn't work.

    It works only from old PC when I am connected directly to serial port.
    Could it be a problem with converter? Maybe I should obtain a different make and try it?
    astra, Jul 11, 2008
  4. astra

    Qingren

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hmm so coincidence a few days ago i also trying to configure router with a usb convertor as my laptop doesnt come with a com port...

    now, for ur case, are u able to see anything? or complely blank?
    if completely blank, check ur configurations. ur cannot is referring to both hyper or putty? have u installed the correct drivers? r u sure u configured correctly if u using putty? where did u go to set the port? for my casse is my cable problem. u may wan to try with other cable (i mean converter) if u are very sure ur config is correct...
    Qingren, Jul 13, 2008
  5. astra

    astra

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    OK. A brief update.

    I used this converter: Converter number 1

    As I said before it arrived with a corrupted CD that contained drivers. So, I dowloaded the latest from drivers for USB to Serial converter

    The setup didn't work in 2 completely different(hardware wise) old PC systems.

    I brought into the classroom a new rig dual core. I managed to utilise the converter only if I plugged it into USB port next to mouse slot. If I disconnected mouse or moved mouse to a different USB port, the converter would cease to work. However, if I plugged mouse to a different USB port and followed it with the converter and plugged it into USB port next to mouse, it would work….

    I didn’t like it.

    I went to a local store, PC World…..they didn’t USB converters have any at all. Then I went to another one, Maplin and they had one extremely expensive for 20 quid. I wanted to test it anyway, so I bought it, plugged it in and….it worked! With the drivers that I downloaded from the Internet. Drivers that came with the new converter were older version year 2005 vs.2007 from the Internet.

    The new converter works from old PCs – any USB slot available and from dual core PC, also any USB slot available.

    I was told to do some testing, so I connected to each of 3 types of Cisco routers that we have, configured fastethernet interface and downloaded IOS 2 times from each, and checked MD5 hash.

    We need 30 converters for classroom.
    I have ordered 2 other USB converters from the internet – cheaper than 20 pounds. I think 7 and 12 pounds(Belkin). I will test them when they arrive.

    The first converter is a disaster! If you follow the link and have a look at pic., you will notice that it has 2 screws! As you probably know, Cisco rollover cables have 2 screws in order to connect to serial port on the back of pc/laptop. All serial ports that I have ever seen have two holes for screws. So, how can you connect Cisco rollover cable with this converter….I don’t know  Converter from Maplin doesn’t have screws on its sides but holes, like a proper serial port. Converters I have ordered from the Internet have holes on their sides as well.

    I got now another problem…but it is a different story. I have done my CCNA 3 years ago. I remembered how to connect to router, configure interface and copy flash to tftp…but I completely forgot how to do the same with Catalyst. We have 2950 and 2950T. I have to log in, configure switch and copy IOS to PC 2 times and check MD5. Don’t remember how to configure switch and give it IP address  3 years 
    I will have to look at my CCNA notes at home tonight and test Catalysts tomorrow.
    astra, Jul 16, 2008
  6. astra

    astra

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Students don't use putty, they use HyperTerminal only. It is a Cisco Academy.
    But I downloaded putty and tried it with the first/disastrous converter and failed to connect to router. didn't test putty with the working convertor, but I don't see any reason why it should not work if HyperTerminal works.
    astra, Jul 16, 2008