    floppy??
    OS is Wndows XP SP2
    File fomat is .jpg its size is 6.3 MB
    Henry, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Henry

    DC Guest

    Henry wrote:
    > I have a very large file which I would like to save on a floppy disk, can
    > some one please tell me how to compress this and save it in a 1.4 MB
    > floppy??
    > OS is Wndows XP SP2
    > File fomat is .jpg its size is 6.3 MB

    You can't. Scale the image to fit on your media (reduce its
    dimensions). You can use IrfanView for this:

    http://www.irfanview.com

    Jpeg is a compressed file format. You can't shrink shrunk. }:O)

    Sorry.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    DC, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Henry

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:52:29 +0200, Henry wrote:

    >I have a very large file which I would like to save on a floppy disk, can
    >some one please tell me how to compress this and save it in a 1.4 MB
    >floppy??
    >OS is Wndows XP SP2
    >File fomat is .jpg its size is 6.3 MB

    Didn't XP have some sort of compression utility built in (select
    file/right click)? Otherwise I prefer WinZIP/WinRAR.

    A jpg is already compressed. You could try a image editor program and
    turn the compression level to max. However as jpeg is already a lossy
    compression method, you may lose more of the image features it helps to
    have a the original to work (BMP/TIFF, format as per the original
    application) from.

    Otherwise the usual compression programs are,
    WinZIP, PKZip, Ultimate Zip, WinRAR etc.

    File splitter (some of the above do this and compress as well) like
    HJSplit will simply convert the file to multiple parts to fit on 1 or
    more floppy disks.

    Me
    why?, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Thank you all for the info's

    Henry, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Henry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:52:29 +0200, Henry wrote:
    >|
    >| >I have a very large file which I would like to save on a floppy
    >| >disk, can some one please tell me how to compress this and save it
    >| >in a 1.4 MB floppy??
    >| >OS is Wndows XP SP2
    >| >File fomat is .jpg its size is 6.3 MB
    >|
    >| Didn't XP have some sort of compression utility built in (select
    >| file/right click)? Otherwise I prefer WinZIP/WinRAR.

    Yes, right-click, "Send to compressed file". It creates a ZIP, and not a
    very highly compressed one at that. Besides, compressing an already
    comressed file usually works in reverse and makes it larger.

    >| A jpg is already compressed. You could try a image editor program and
    >| turn the compression level to max. However as jpeg is already a lossy
    >| compression method, you may lose more of the image features it helps
    >| to have a the original to work (BMP/TIFF, format as per the original
    >| application) from.
    >|
    >| Otherwise the usual compression programs are,
    >| WinZIP, PKZip, Ultimate Zip, WinRAR etc.
    >|
    >| File splitter (some of the above do this and compress as well) like
    >| HJSplit will simply convert the file to multiple parts to fit on 1 or
    >| more floppy disks.

    Most excellent suggestion - the OP can retain the resolution/size of the JPG
    this way. Of course, there's always a thumb drive, external hard drive, burn
    to CD, etc.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Sep 4, 2004