How to completely get rid of WINDOWS MESSENGER

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JB, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hi!

    Can somebody help me with the following problem?
    On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN Messenger
    as the program with which I like to communicate.

    I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
    But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
    Windows Messenger,
    which I don't want to use in the first place.

    I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way (uninstall as a
    module of Windows XP),
    which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows Messenger
    was there again!

    Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove Windows
    Messenger
    from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN Messenger
    exclusively?

    In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every time
    as I login
    with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
    passport
    (or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
    location.
    Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?

    Thanks in advance!

    Jan Bours

    JB, Jan 28, 2004

  2. JB

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Shoot The Messenger
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    After disabling Messenger, test your system here:
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:24:21 +0100, in
    <bv9cql$nld$1.nb.home.nl>
    JB scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004

  3. JB

    Harrison Guest

    Disable Messenger Service:
    Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
    In the right pane, double-click Services and Applications, then
    double-click Services.
    Scroll down until you see Messenger, then double-click it.
    Click Stop and change the Startup type to disabled.

    That said, I'm not sure that's going to stop what you want stopped.
    It sounds to me like you're getting standard upgrade reminders on MSN
    Messenger (the chat client), and the best way to stop them is to
    switch to either Trillian or AIM :)

    Harrison, Jan 28, 2004
  4. JB

    ñKs Guest

    start, run, paste:

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    click ok.....

    ñKs, Jan 28, 2004
  5. JB

    ñKs Guest

    Not that messenger, you moron...

    ñKs, Jan 28, 2004
  6. JB

    Senti Guest

    Harrison did mumble ...

    > Disable Messenger Service:
    > Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
    > In the right pane, double-click Services and Applications, then
    > double-click Services.
    > Scroll down until you see Messenger, then double-click it.
    > Click Stop and change the Startup type to disabled.
    >
    > That said, I'm not sure that's going to stop what you want stopped.
    > It sounds to me like you're getting standard upgrade reminders on MSN
    > Messenger (the chat client), and the best way to stop them is to
    > switch to either Trillian or AIM :)

    That's not what the OP was talking about. There are two versions of an
    instant messanger program: Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger. Windows
    Messenger is installed by default with XP where as you need to download MSN
    Messenger.

    Read here for more info if you like:
    http://tinyurl.com/35epy

    --
    ~SF~
    123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12

    Senti, Jan 29, 2004
  7. JB

    Senti Guest

    JB did mumble bv9cql$nld$1.nb.home.nl...

    > Hi!
    >
    > Can somebody help me with the following problem?
    > On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN
    > Messenger as the program with which I like to communicate.
    >
    > I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
    > But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
    > Windows Messenger,
    > which I don't want to use in the first place.
    >
    > I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way
    > (uninstall as a module of Windows XP),
    > which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows
    > Messenger was there again!
    >
    > Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove
    > Windows Messenger
    > from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN
    > Messenger exclusively?
    >
    > In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every
    > time as I login
    > with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
    > passport
    > (or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
    > location.
    > Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Jan Bours

    Read these links:
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-05.html
    http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/messenger.html
    http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml

    --
    ~SF~
    In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he

    Senti, Jan 29, 2004
  8. JB

    jeroen Guest

    I used this before, works great !!