How to COMPLETELY delete Firefox and extensions

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Emily, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Emily

    Emily Guest

    Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It won't
    bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one of my
    tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus are
    disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was working
    fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago that my
    Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared, which may
    have had something to do with the problem.

    So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and install
    FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of all of it,
    because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my extensions are still
    there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed up with no tabs, no
    pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.

    How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
    from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
    can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!

    Thanks much!
    Emily

    Emily, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Emily said the following on 8/2/05 12:46 PM:

    > Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It
    > won't bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one
    > of my tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus
    > are disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was
    > working fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago
    > that my Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared,
    > which may have had something to do with the problem.
    >
    > So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and
    > install FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of
    > all of it, because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my
    > extensions are still there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed
    > up with no tabs, no pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
    >
    > How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
    > from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
    > can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
    >
    > Thanks much!
    > Emily

    Try scrubbing your profile and starting again.

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#profilemanager

    --
    Gadge

    http://www.btinternet.com/~gadgerama

    roland.E.oderant, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Emily

    Jedi Fans Guest

    The One wrote:
    > "Emily" <> wrote in message
    >> Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It won't
    >> bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one of my
    >> tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus are
    >> disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was working
    >> fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago that my
    >> Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared, which may
    >> have had something to do with the problem.
    >>
    >> So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and install
    >> FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of all of it,
    >> because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my extensions are still
    >> there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed up with no tabs, no
    >> pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
    >>
    >> How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
    >> from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
    >> can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
    >>
    >> Thanks much!
    >> Emily

    > Whats wrong with IE.

    too many to list... check secunia.com :D

    Jedi Fans, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Emily

    shegeek72 Guest

    The One wrote:

    > Whats wrong with IE.

    Many things. For example, when I was using IE someone was getting into
    my computer, through my anti-virus and firewall, and altering the
    autofill info. Fortunately, he was just a jokester and changed the
    autofill info to funny names, but he just as easily could've been
    malicious. Since Firefox is cross-platform, the Linux crowd is able to
    continually improve it's code v. IE's proprietary source code. IE is a
    security risk -- no one should use it (useless you *want* to be
    exploited, like a honeypot, or have enough security expertise to run it
    safely).

    Note the number of exploits of IE v. Mozilla/Firefox:
    http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/

    alt.hacker is a good place for learning about, and neutralizing,
    exploits.

    SG
    --
    Keyboard not found -- press F1 to continue.

    shegeek72, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Emily

    Emily Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > Emily said the following on 8/2/05 12:46 PM:
    >
    >> Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It
    >> won't bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one
    >> of my tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus
    >> are disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was
    >> working fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago
    >> that my Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared,
    >> which may have had something to do with the problem.
    >>
    >> So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and
    >> install FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of
    >> all of it, because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my
    >> extensions are still there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed
    >> up with no tabs, no pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
    >>
    >> How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
    >> from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
    >> can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
    >>
    >> Thanks much!
    >> Emily

    > Try scrubbing your profile and starting again.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#profilemanager

    Thanks! This got me started. I didn't want to scrub the entire thing
    since I had so many things stored in it, but I deleted the contents of
    the Extensions and Cache folders, and everything was fine after that.
    Re-installed the few extensions I wanted, and I am good to go again.
    Whew. Thanks very much for the idea....

    Emily

    Emily, Aug 6, 2005