How to combine two JPGs into one

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <> wrote:

    >What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
    one(s) in.

    Don Wiss, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Don Wiss

    frederick Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <> wrote:
    >
    >> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    > You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
    > one(s) in.

    And for free, you can do exactly the same using Gimp.
    frederick, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Don Wiss

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:13:43 +1300, in rec.photo.digital frederick
    <> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >>> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >>> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    >> You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
    >> one(s) in.
    >>

    >And for free, you can do exactly the same using Gimp.

    Or Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com
    , Mar 17, 2008
  4. Don Wiss

    Ray K Guest

    What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray K, Mar 17, 2008
  5. Don Wiss

    Ray K Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <> wrote:
    >

    >> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.
    >>

    > You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
    > one(s) in.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don,

    I don't have photoshop, but you gave me the key clue about enlarging the
    canvas. I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from
    photo 2, copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
    enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

    If I want a picture in a picture, I don't even have to enlarge the
    canvas. I just copy photo 2 (or a portion of it) and paste it into a
    selected portion of photo 1.

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray K, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Don Wiss

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Ray K added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not
    > looking to do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I
    > could display both (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop
    > background.

    Any competent graphics app can do this. The main idea is to expand the
    size of one or the other JPEGs, called enlarging the canvas in many
    apps, with enough pixels to allow the other JPEG to be copied to the
    Windows clipboard and pasted into place. Depending on what app you
    choose, including PhotoShop and Elements and Paint Shop Pro later
    versions, and some free ones as well, it may help to paste the 2nd
    picture in as a layer instead of a simpler selection so as to have more
    flexibility in resizing it to fit exactly the way you want, maybe
    rotate it slightly, or change its appearance.

    The above technique can be extended to any number of grid squares.
    About the only thing you CAN'T do is paste in anything except a
    rectangle of pixels or use transparency.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump
    HEMI-Powered, Mar 18, 2008
  7. Ray K <> wrote:
    >What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
    system are you using?

    Without that information the only sensible answer would be "Pretty much any
    graphic editing program. Even the most primitive one for your OS will
    usually support a simple copy-and-paste operation."

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 18, 2008
  8. Don Wiss

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Mar 17, 6:51 pm, Ray K <> wrote:
    > What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    > do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    > (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Ask your grandmother, Ray.

    --
    YOP...
    Nervous Nick, Mar 18, 2008
  9. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:38:13 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    >You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
    >system are you using?

    But Jürgen, you could easily have looked in the header and found the
    answer. There I find:

    Gecko/20080201 SeaMonkey/1.1.8

    Don Wiss, Mar 18, 2008
  10. Don Wiss

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ray K wrote:

    > I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from
    > photo 2, copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
    > enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

    Perfect. I didn't know Irfanview would do that :)
    Paul Furman, Mar 18, 2008
  11. Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:38:13 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
    >>system are you using?

    >But Jürgen, you could easily have looked in the header and found the
    >answer. There I find:

    Which tells you which OS he used to post this message. It could have been
    his work computer. It could have been a computer at a public library. It
    could have been a computer in an internet cafe.
    It doesn't tell you anything about the OS he wants to use to edit those
    JPEGs.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 18, 2008
  12. Don Wiss

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:38:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    >Ray K <> wrote:
    >>What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >>do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >>(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    >You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
    >system are you using?
    >
    >Without that information the only sensible answer would be "Pretty much any
    >graphic editing program. Even the most primitive one for your OS will
    >usually support a simple copy-and-paste operation."

    Contained in the OP:
  13. Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > Which tells you which OS he used to post this message. It could have been
    > his work computer. It could have been a computer at a public library. It
    > could have been a computer in an internet cafe.
    > It doesn't tell you anything about the OS he wants to use to edit those
    > JPEGs.

    You are right. But almost all users that seem not to be aware that there
    are other operatin systems than the one they use, are windows users. So
    if someone is not stating, what operating system he is using, you can
    safeli assume, that he is using windows.

    - kruemi

    --
    Dimage A2, Agfa isolette
    http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi
    Marco Tedaldi, Mar 18, 2008
  14. Don Wiss

    Keith nuttle Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Ray K wrote:
    >
    >> I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from photo 2,
    >> copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
    >> enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

    > Perfect. I didn't know Irfanview would do that :)

    If you just want two photos attached with absolutely nothing fancy, you
    can also use the Irfanview panorama functions under images.

    I use the panorama to create a one page map with different scales. ie.
    city, area, street.
    Keith nuttle, Mar 18, 2008
  15. Marco Tedaldi <> wrote:
    >Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> It doesn't tell you anything about the OS he wants to use to edit those
    >> JPEGs.
    >>

    >You are right. But almost all users that seem not to be aware that there
    >are other operatin systems than the one they use, are windows users. So
    >if someone is not stating, what operating system he is using, you can
    >safeli assume, that he is using windows.

    Well, if you say so. Under that assumption the answer is trivial.

    Even MS Paint will to the job: Open the first picture in Paint, enlarge the
    canvas by draging the corner, copy-and-past the second picture onto the
    blank part of the canvas.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 19, 2008
  16. Ray K wrote:
    >What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Ray

    If you have Photoshop that would be easiest. Go into the image menu and
    select canvas size. Enlarge the canvas and anchor it to the side you choose.
    Drag the new layer into this one and position it.
    I hope this helps.

    --
    http://www.brucekersten.com
    http://www.savantcreative.com

    savantcreative via PhotoKB.com, Mar 19, 2008
  17. Don Wiss

    Cynicor Guest

    Ray K wrote:
    > Nervous Nick wrote:
    >> On Mar 17, 6:51 pm, Ray K <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
    >>> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
    >>> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

    >> Ask your grandmother, Ray.
    >>

    > She was dead before jpgs and PCs were invented.

    And her name probably wasn't Ray, either.
    Cynicor, Mar 19, 2008
  18. Don Wiss

    Ray K Guest

    Keith nuttle wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >> Ray K wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from photo
    >>> 2, copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
    >>> enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

    >> Perfect. I didn't know Irfanview would do that :)

    > If you just want two photos attached with absolutely nothing fancy,
    > you can also use the Irfanview panorama functions under images.
    >
    > I use the panorama to create a one page map with different scales.
    > ie. city, area, street.

    Thanks for the great idea. I never explored that function before.

    Ray
    Ray K, Mar 19, 2008
  19. Don Wiss

    Ray K Guest

    Ray K, Mar 19, 2008
  20. Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > Even MS Paint will to the job: Open the first picture in Paint, enlarge the
    > canvas by draging the corner, copy-and-past the second picture onto the
    > blank part of the canvas.

    ....save it as bmp and convert it to another format with a real
    image-application. Or can paint save in another format than bmp in the
    meantime? .-)

    - kruemi

    Marco Tedaldi, Mar 19, 2008