    with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
    dvd it came with.

    this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.
    alejandro de tacobell, Jul 20, 2005

  2. alejandro de tacobell

    Mark W Guest

    "alejandro de tacobell" <> wrote in message
    > maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    > with a mini-dvd decoder disc.

    'They' could make a system whereby you have to phone up the movie studio
    when you want to watch a DVD. Then they send someone round with a copy of
    the DVD you want to watch, they sit with you while you watch it, then take
    it away again afterwards. If you acted suspiciously whilst the movie was
    playing they could arrest you.
    Mark W, Jul 20, 2005

  3. alejandro de tacobell wrote:
    > and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    > with any hardware.

    I'd give it two weeks!
    Mike O'Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005
  4. "Mike O'Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > alejandro de tacobell wrote:
    > > and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    > > with any hardware.

    > I'd give it two weeks!A far better solution is just to cut the retail

    price, sales will go up and piracy will fall. There will always be a
    hardcore who will cheat, but the real key is to get the volume up so that
    the discs can be sold at low prices yet still make the same return for the
    studios etc.

    Copy protection just raises costs and as pointed out is a challenge easily
    overcome by the very people who cause the problem. Lower costs in the market
    will cut the demand for copies and increase the demand for the real thing.

    Peter
    Peter McLelland, Jul 20, 2005
  5. On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
    <> wrote:

    >maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    >with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >
    >so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    >the mini-disc.

    Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie, and the
    need for everyone to buy new hardware (also at close to twice the
    manufacturing cost).

    Yeah, that'll work.
    Kimba W. Lion, Jul 20, 2005
  6. alejandro de tacobell

    bllbickel Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    > >with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    > >
    > >so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    > >the mini-disc.

    > Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie, and the
    > need for everyone to buy new hardware (also at close to twice the
    > manufacturing cost).
    >
    > Yeah, that'll work.

    And the pirates will find a way around it anyway, leaving only
    legitimate DVD-buyers inconvenienced.

    Bill Bickel
    http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com
    http://www.missing-kids.us
    http://mysterybooks.allinfoabout.com
    bllbickel, Jul 20, 2005
  7. alejandro de tacobell

    bllbickel Guest

    alejandro de tacobell wrote:
    > maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    > with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >
    > so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    > the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
    > and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
    > with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    > with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
    > dvd it came with.
    >
    > this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

    An easier plan: If DVDs cost no more than, say, a paperback book (which
    would still allow for a healthy profit margin and make sense in a
    hardcover/paperback theatrical run/DVD sort of way), sales volume would
    increase AND it wouldn't be worth anybody's effort to copy them.

    bllbickel, Jul 20, 2005
  8. alejandro de tacobell

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article 42de1de7$, Mark W at s@o wrote
    on 7/20/05 2:48 AM:

    > "alejandro de tacobell" <> wrote in message
    >> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    >> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >>

    > 'They' could make a system whereby you have to phone up the movie studio
    > when you want to watch a DVD. Then they send someone round with a copy of
    > the DVD you want to watch, they sit with you while you watch it, then take
    > it away again afterwards. If you acted suspiciously whilst the movie was
    > playing they could arrest you.

    I bet the viewing companion would smoke and talk on their cell phone while
    you tried to watch.
    ANIM8Rfsk, Jul 20, 2005
  9. alejandro de tacobell

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article 1121868334.b25c79a27c776dab2e5b6da697eeae56@teranews, Kimba W.
    Lion at wrote on 7/20/05 7:05 AM:

    > On 20 Jul 2005 02:03:00 -0700, "alejandro de tacobell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    >> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >>
    >> so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    >> the mini-disc.

    > Hmmm.. Close to double the manufacturing costs for each movie,

    Why? The movies aren't going to come both ways. If they did, you wouldn't
    need a dual tray player. The studios are gonna line up with one system or
    another, and you'll have to choose who's movies you want more.

    and the
    > need for everyone to buy new hardware

    That's gonna happen no matter what.

    (also at close to twice the

    ANIM8Rfsk, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Per alejandro de tacobell:
    >maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    >with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >
    >so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    >the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
    >and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
    >with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    >with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
    >dvd it came with.
    >
    >this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

    A devil's advocate strawman: I could see a system like that actually increasing
    illegal copying.

    Maybe this is a stretch, but personally I'm about *that* far from buying illegal
    copies instead of legit DVDs just because of the PITA factor of scrabbling off
    all those security stickers and having to sit through the Stern Warnings,
    trailers, and other BS just to see a movie that I've paid for. It's not the
    money, it's the PITA factor.

    Actually, factor #2 is resolved now, since somebody gave me a DVD player with a
    "Direct Play" button. Not only is it region-insensitive, but pressing
    DirectPlay just jumps past all the BS and starts the Main Movie.

    I don't know what the real answer is. Certainly the publishers have a
    legitimate and pressing problem. But it seems like making me jump though more
    hoops on the assumption that I'm taking the low road is going to increase the
    probability that I do just that.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 20, 2005
  11. alejandro de tacobell

    Jeff Rife Guest

    bllbickel () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > An easier plan: If DVDs cost no more than, say, a paperback book (which
    > would still allow for a healthy profit margin and make sense in a
    > hardcover/paperback theatrical run/DVD sort of way), sales volume would
    > increase AND it wouldn't be worth anybody's effort to copy them.

    To be honest, this has pretty much happened in the US. Sure, there are people
    that rent DVDs and make copies, but many of those still feel like they are
    "paying too much"...only outright stealing the originals would make them
    happy with the cost.

    The real piracy issue is the (mostly overseas) industry that has "Batman
    Begins" on DVD the same day it is released theatrically. There's no way
    these discs used a legal DVD as the source, yet they are the #1 problem as
    far as dollar figures are concerned for piracy.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "But as much as everybody loves you, there is
    Jeff Rife, Jul 20, 2005
  12. In rec.arts.movies.past-films "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >I don't know what the real answer is. Certainly the publishers have
    >a legitimate and pressing problem. But it seems like making me jump
    >though more hoops on the assumption that I'm taking the low road is
    >going to increase the probability that I do just that.

    Yeah, same here. If they're going to treat us like criminals,
    we might as well commit the crime.

    Pete
    Peter Meilinger, Jul 20, 2005
  13. alejandro de tacobell

    herr blob Guest

    so if you guard your house with security alarm and thereby consider
    strangers and neighbors as potential burglars, they should burglarize
    your house?
    herr blob, Jul 20, 2005
  14. what we need is a new standard dvd player that can play both single and
    double(dvd plus decoder) discs.

    also, the decoder doesn't have to another disc. it can be a key or
    stick you insert into the player along with the dvd.

    and, if you find a way to mass produce them, manufacturing cost
    increase will be minimum. look, every padlock comes with a key. so
    why not have every dvd come with a key? and meanwhile forbid any
    device--at least on the legal market--that makes possible copying of
    keys.
    alejandro de tacobell, Jul 20, 2005
  15. alejandro de tacobell

    Guest

    ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
    > in article 42de1de7$, Mark W at s@o wrote
    > on 7/20/05 2:48 AM:
    >

    > > "alejandro de tacobell" <> wrote in message
    > >> maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    > >> with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    > >>

    > > 'They' could make a system whereby you have to phone up the movie studio
    > > when you want to watch a DVD. Then they send someone round with a copy of
    > > the DVD you want to watch, they sit with you while you watch it, then take
    > > it away again afterwards. If you acted suspiciously whilst the movie was
    > > playing they could arrest you.
    > >

    > I bet the viewing companion would smoke and talk on their cell phone while
    > you tried to watch.

    I don't know about this system. Are we assured the studio chaperone
    will be hot?
    , Jul 20, 2005
  16. alejandro de tacobell

    Bill Steele Guest

    In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    > Certainly the publishers have a
    > legitimate and pressing problem.

    Organized criminals who copy digital media, repackage it so it looks
    like the original and sell it are a pressing problem. Folks who copy or
    download stuff for themselves wouldn't have bought the product anyway,
    so they're only a problem that the industry has made up to strengthen
    their position.
    Bill Steele, Jul 20, 2005
  17. alejandro de tacobell

    Major ChrisB Guest

    > maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    > with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >
    > so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    > the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
    > and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
    > with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    > with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
    > dvd it came with.
    >
    > this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

    or they could just sell dvds at a reasonable price.
    Major ChrisB, Jul 20, 2005
  18. Bill Steele wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Certainly the publishers have a
    >>legitimate and pressing problem.

    > Organized criminals who copy digital media, repackage it so it looks
    > like the original and sell it are a pressing problem. Folks who copy or
    > download stuff for themselves wouldn't have bought the product anyway,
    > so they're only a problem that the industry has made up to strengthen
    > their position.

    Wrong. The studios and performance artists are losing hundreds of
    millions of dollars per year due to people renting DVDs and making
    illegal copies. When someone makes a copy of a DVD which they do not
    own, they are STEALING money directly from those whose talent and hard
    work made the movie or TV show possible. As far as I'm concerned, this
    is no different than stealing money at gunpoint from actors and the
    studios. And this is something that has to stop.
    Graham Wellington, Jul 21, 2005
  19. Major ChrisB wrote:
    > "alejandro de tacobell" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>maybe what they should do is come up with a system where each dvd comes
    >>with a mini-dvd decoder disc.
    >>
    >>so, dvd player will have two trays. one for the main dvd and one for
    >>the mini-disc. when you press 'open' two separate trays will open up.
    >>and, the dvd can only be played WITH the mini-disc that comes included
    >>with it. and, make sure the decoder disc is extremely hard to copy
    >>with any hardware. it'd be a jumble of codes that works only with the
    >>dvd it came with.
    >>
    >>this way, it'll be far more complex to copy dvds and pirate them.

    > or they could just sell dvds at a reasonable price.

    What's so unreasonable about the price of DVDs? You don't think that
    performance artists, directors, and producers deserve royalties? Are you
    so poor or so cheap that you can't afford to pay $12.95 for a DVD? If
    that's the case, maybe you should just stick to watching movies on TV.
    Graham Wellington, Jul 21, 2005
  20. alejandro de tacobell

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article UYADe.2123$, Graham
    Wellington at wrote on 7/20/05 4:18 PM:

    > Bill Steele wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Certainly the publishers have a
    >>> legitimate and pressing problem.

    >> Organized criminals who copy digital media, repackage it so it looks
    >> like the original and sell it are a pressing problem. Folks who copy or
    >> download stuff for themselves wouldn't have bought the product anyway,
    >> so they're only a problem that the industry has made up to strengthen
    >> their position.

    > Wrong. The studios and performance artists are losing hundreds of
    > millions of dollars per year due to people renting DVDs and making
    > illegal copies.

    I don't believe that for a minute. Large scale pirates, certainly. Small
    scale? From people renting and copying? Nah. I know a grand total of one
    person who does that. And he checks the DVDs out of the library, so he
    cheats the studios out of even one rental fee. (Since he gets the DVDs for
    free in the first place, I'm not really sure what he's accomplishing by
    making himself illegal dubs either).

    > When someone makes a copy of a DVD which they do not
    > own, they are STEALING money directly from those whose talent and hard
    > work made the movie or TV show possible.

    Yes

    > As far as I'm concerned, this
    > is no different than stealing money at gunpoint from actors and the
    > studios. And this is something that has to stop.

    Except for the gunpoint part, I agree. It's more like they snuck into your
    house and stole your money while you weren't there. Burglary, but not
    robbery. But I've never believed that grandma making a copy of Bambi for
    the kids was some sort of major threat. I've never believed the MacroVision
    scam did anything more than cost the studios money and make the product
    worse.

    And any pirate worth his salt could bust MacroVision in a moment anyway.
    ANIM8Rfsk, Jul 21, 2005