How to clean up PDF files?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Edgar Davies, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    I want to clean up some PDF files that contain text and line art. They
    are documents that have empty but messy areas around the text because
    they are from scans of books.

    So I have experimented by using the following steps:

    (1) PDFExtractTIFF to turn the PDF file into a series of TIFF files.

    (2) Clean up individual TIFF files by cropping them in an image
    editor.

    (3) Import the TIFF files into a Word document.

    (4) Convert the Word document into a PDF file by using
    VirtualPDFPrinter.

    Step 3 above is very time consuming.

    Can anybody suggest an alternative to Steps 3 & 4?

    Or is there a program that integrates all the steps. I can't believe
    that I am the first person wanting to clean up PDF files.
    Edgar Davies, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Edgar Davies

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:31:19 +1000, Edgar Davies <> wrote:

    >I want to clean up some PDF files that contain text and line art. They
    >are documents that have empty but messy areas around the text because
    >they are from scans of books.
    >
    >So I have experimented by using the following steps:
    >
    >(1) PDFExtractTIFF to turn the PDF file into a series of TIFF files.
    >
    >(2) Clean up individual TIFF files by cropping them in an image
    >editor.
    >
    >(3) Import the TIFF files into a Word document.
    >
    >(4) Convert the Word document into a PDF file by using
    >VirtualPDFPrinter.
    >
    >Step 3 above is very time consuming.
    >
    >Can anybody suggest an alternative to Steps 3 & 4?

    Why not simply "print" from the image viewer to the pdf printer.
    If you're using XP, you can print using the full page fax setting and the page size should be maintained.

    Harrison, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Thanks, but I don't see how your suggestion allows me to merge a
    series of TIFF files into a single PDF file.

    Edgar Davies, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Edgar Davies

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:22:27 +1000, Edgar Davies <> wrote:

    >Thanks, but I don't see how your suggestion allows me to merge a
    >series of TIFF files into a single PDF file.

    Yup. I missed that part.
    Use Adobe Acrobat Writer... costs money.

    Harrison, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Edgar Davies

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Edgar Davies" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but I don't see how your suggestion allows me to merge a
    > series of TIFF files into a single PDF file.

    Does your PDF program allow you to insert pages? Adobe Acrobat does, and I
    can do separate pages from my CAD program (which can't do multiple pages,
    just like your TIFF editor), then insert them into a multi page document. It
    would at least prevent you having to do those long imports into Word.

    T.T.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Edgar Davies

    Edgar Davies Guest

    Thanks for various suggestions. I asked around more widely than this
    newsgroup and have now discovered there is a product called
    Image2PDF that does the job of converting a series of TIFF files into
    a PDF file.
    Edgar Davies, Apr 2, 2004