    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Oct 14, 2004

  2. andre wrote:
    > I own a 300D and I was wondering how I clean the sensor. What is the
    > most effective and most gentle way?
    > I would like to encourage all of you to post your experience and what
    > tools (incl. price) you used. I am trying to figure out what I need to
    > buy and how I do it.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Andre

    The Canon 20D recommends using gentle clean dry air (not the canned
    stuff used for blowing dust from a computer). They also have some specific
    instructions that appear to be unique to that camera. I suggest consulting
    your camera manual.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 14, 2004

  3. andre

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: andre

    >I own a 300D and I was wondering how I clean the sensor.

    You can try a blower but often it just leaves the dust in the chamber and it
    gets on the sensor again after a couple of shots.

    Here's what many people use now (including me) ...

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

    Here are other sites that discuss the problem, with some alternate solutions:

    http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/
    http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm

    The first dozen or so times it's pretty nerve-wracking ... after that it
    doesn't seem so bad :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 14, 2004
  4. andre

    GT40 Guest

    You can buy a device called a sensor brush. You blow air accross the
    brush to build up a small static charge then brush the sensor with it.
    I haven't used it personally.

    GT40, Oct 14, 2004
  5. andre

    Guest

    andre <> wrote:

    > I own a 300D and I was wondering how I clean the sensor.

    www.google.com: how to clean sensor of digital camera

    , Oct 14, 2004
  6. andre

    Charlie Self Guest

    GT40 states:

    >You can buy a device called a sensor brush. You blow air accross the
    >brush to build up a small static charge then brush the sensor with it.
    >I haven't used it personally.

    Where. Sounds easier and safer than most wipes.

    Charlie Self
    "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
    simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

    Charlie Self, Oct 14, 2004
  7. andre

    GT40 Guest

    Try this link:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

    GT40, Oct 14, 2004
  8. andre

    Charlie Self Guest

    GT40 responds:

    >Try this link:
    >
    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

    Thanks. When I stop shuddering at the prices, I'll probably order one.

    Charlie Self, Oct 14, 2004
  9. andre

    Drifter Guest

    On 14 Oct 2004 19:38:28 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
    wrote:

    >GT40 responds:
    >

    >>Try this link:
    >>
    >>http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

    >Thanks. When I stop shuddering at the prices, I'll probably order one.
    >
    >Charlie Self
    >"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
    >simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

    all I can say to that is compare it to the price of repairing a
    damaged sensor!

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Oct 14, 2004
  10. andre

    Crownfield Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > >From: andre

    > >I own a 300D and I was wondering how I clean the sensor.

    http://www.photosol.com/

    available from calumet, samys, and B&H

    Crownfield, Oct 15, 2004
  11. andre

    Crownfield Guest

    Charlie Self wrote:

    > GT40 states:
    >
    > >You can buy a device called a sensor brush. You blow air accross the
    > >brush to build up a small static charge then brush the sensor with it.
    > >I haven't used it personally.
    > >

    > Where. Sounds easier and safer than most wipes.

    does any camera mfg approve this device?
    sensor swabs are approved.

    Crownfield, Oct 15, 2004
  12. andre

    andre Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>From: andre

    >>I own a 300D and I was wondering how I clean the sensor.

    > You can try a blower but often it just leave s the dust in the chamber and it
    > gets on the sensor again after a couple of shots.
    >
    > Here's what many people use now (including me) ...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    >
    > Here are other sites that discuss the problem, with some alternate solutions:
    >
    > http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/
    > http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm
    >
    > The first dozen or so times it's pretty nerve-wracking ... after that it
    > doesn't seem so bad :)
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks everyone for your replies. So how does the sensor swab and the
    brushes that others suggested compare. The sensor swab thing that Bill
    suggested seems to give a better value for the money.

    Andre
    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Oct 15, 2004
  13. andre

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: andre

    >Thanks everyone for your replies. So how does the sensor swab and the
    >brushes that others suggested compare. The sensor swab thing that Bill
    >suggested seems to give a better value for the money.

    I'd suggest getting one of those Rocket blowers and try that first. The less
    contact you have with the sensor the better.

    But some of the dust seems to stick to the surface and won't blow off and then
    you really need to swab it with the Pec Pads and the Eclipse solution. On my
    1Ds, which has a full-sized sensor and seems to attract dust a lot more readily
    than the 10D, I usually have to make multiple passes with the Pec Pads to get
    the spots off so you'll probably need to use both eventually.

    The guys who make Eclipse also sell swabs (I think it's $48 for 10) but they
    don't work as well for me as the firmer swab sold by the Copper Hill guy ...

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml ... these don't
    work as well as this one ... http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

    Dunno about the static brush the other guys were recommending, I haven't tried
    it out and haven't seen anyone use it on trips (most everyone I know uses the
    firm swab).

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 15, 2004
  14. andre

    Peter Winter Guest

    I saw people in Service departments of Canon and Olympus work with this:
    www.lenspen.com
    I asked them and they where very satisfied!
    Peter Winter

    Peter Winter, Oct 15, 2004
  15. andre

    Drifter Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:58:24 +0100, "Peter Winter" <>
    wrote:

    >I saw people in Service departments of Canon and Olympus work with this:
    >www.lenspen.com
    >I asked them and they where very satisfied!
    >Peter Winter

    They were using a lenspen on the SENSOR?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Oct 15, 2004
  16. andre

    ice Guest

    >>I saw people in Service departments of Canon and Olympus work with this:
    >>www.lenspen.com
    >>I asked them and they where very satisfied!
    >>Peter Winter

    >They were using a lenspen on the SENSOR?

    Is that safe to do on a d70 low pass sensor filter?

    Cheers
    Ice

    ice, Oct 15, 2004
  17. andre

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:33:55 -0400, Drifter <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:58:24 +0100, "Peter Winter" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I saw people in Service departments of Canon and Olympus work with this:
    >>www.lenspen.com
    >>I asked them and they where very satisfied!
    >>Peter Winter

    >They were using a lenspen on the SENSOR?

    Thanks for posting my reaction....

    anxiously waiting but still doubtful

    ZONED!, Oct 15, 2004
  18. andre

    Ken Guest

    The term "static charge" leaves me shuddering. Static is electricity.
    What does that do to the sensor?

    Ken, Oct 15, 2004
  19. andre

    Jer Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > The term "static charge" leaves me shuddering. Static is electricity.
    > What does that do to the sensor?

    Yeah, I don't wanna be drawing a blue flame across the sensor face.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 15, 2004
  20. andre

    GT40 Guest

    Well thats the device that the professionals use, so it must work
    fine. I did post the link to the item in this thread.

    GT40, Oct 15, 2004