    One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy drive
    on the computer

    Thanks

    SS, Feb 9, 2006

  2. SS

    Gordon Guest

    SS wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives clear
    > guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the disk and
    > start again but need to split the drive into 'BootC' 'RestoreE' and
    > 'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to make it like it came set
    > up. I know the sizes of these partitions and can backup all necessary files
    > ont to external drive.
    >
    > One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy drive
    > on the computer
    >
    > Thanks

    When you say "the manufacturers XP disk" what exactly do you mean? is it
    an actual XP CD or is it a "restore" CD? If the latter, you may not be
    ABLE to partition your HDD.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2006

  3. SS

    old jon Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives clear
    > guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the disk and
    > start again but need to split the drive into 'BootC' 'RestoreE' and
    > 'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to make it like it came
    > set
    > up. I know the sizes of these partitions and can backup all necessary
    > files
    > ont to external drive.
    >
    > One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy
    > drive
    > on the computer
    >
    > Thanks

    Looks like you`ve got a Medion Restore CD.
    Not a full genuine M$ CD, and that`s what you`d need to do
    what you want.

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 9, 2006
  4. "SS" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives clear
    > guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the disk and
    > start again but need to split the drive into 'BootC' 'RestoreE' and
    > 'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to make it like it came
    > set
    > up. I know the sizes of these partitions and can backup all necessary
    > files
    > ont to external drive.
    >
    > One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy
    > drive
    > on the computer

    Which Medion? Most of the desktop machines come with a bootable restore CD
    and a bootable WinXP home OEM CD. The restore CD will only work if the
    original partitions are the same size, and if you haven't added any
    additional drives. The XP CD has no such restrictions and can be installed
    normally.

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>

    Richard Colton, Feb 9, 2006
  5. SS

    Budweiser Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives
    > clear
    > guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the disk
    > and
    > start again but need to split the drive into 'BootC' 'RestoreE' and
    > 'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to make it like it
    > came set
    > up. I know the sizes of these partitions and can backup all necessary
    > files
    > ont to external drive.
    >
    > One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no floppy
    > drive
    > on the computer
    >
    > Thanks

    Stop right there before you screw it all up.
    Medion machines are odd beasts,you must have a small partition installed
    (rather like the compaq range) before you can do anything.
    If you go the route of FDISK /Format etc --and try to use a full copy of
    win whatever--no chance
    Yes to the format,yes to dividing the allocated space into as many
    drives as you like,just do not delete the apparently tiny empty
    partition.Even then i still come into grief with drivers etc as they do
    for some reason seem to be "unique" for the mainboard etc.

    From experience try this route.
    Go get another hard drive---but leave it in its box for a bit.
    Insert your recovery disc---follow onscreen yaadah
    system all works?--yes?
    Now add the new drive,format and partition to your hearts content.
    Tell xp to use "p:" for instance as the place to keep restore
    stuff,drive "n:" for your backup patitions(not sure why you need
    those,your choice)
    Would also suggest as you have the box open--if you are going to add ram
    /soundcard/new graphics--may aswell do it now.
    All working? yes?
    Set a system restore point.

    Carry on as normal,but pay attention to housekeeping---more space is
    more places to lose files--label your partitions and create files within
    for specifics etc --you know it makes sense.

    Budweiser, Feb 9, 2006
  6. SS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:enNGf.20296$,
    SS spewed forth:
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website that gives
    > clear guidance to a non-teccy like me? I need to completely clear the
    > disk and start again but need to split the drive into 'BootC'
    > 'RestoreE' and 'BackupD' partitions (This is a Medion machine) to
    > make it like it came set up. I know the sizes of these partitions and
    > can backup all necessary files ont to external drive.
    >
    > One thing although I have the manufacturers XP disk there is no
    > floppy drive on the computer
    >
    > Thanks

    www.windowsreinstall.com

    Great site - step by step with screen shots. Be sure you select the CORRECT
    setup routine...I think you want this one: "Windows XP Home Old/Used Hard
    Drive "

    Toolman Tim, Feb 10, 2006