    red run.
    Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    Thanks in advance for all advice.
    T, Jan 16, 2009

  2. T

    John Holmes Guest

    T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It
    > is a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.
    >
    > http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >
    > As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
    > has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
    > look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry clean
    > it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate, not
    > good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
    > bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
    > but I an concerned this will make the red run.
    > Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    > Thanks in advance for all advice.

    Trow the fucker away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
    HTH

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2009

  3. In message <>, "T" wrote:
    > I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is a
    > toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.
    >
    > http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >
    > As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it has
    > been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new look.
    > The
    > label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry clean it as the
    > process can leave a small residue that can irritate, not good for a child's
    > toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with bubble bath which is intended
    > to come into contact with skin anyway but I an concerned this will make the
    > red run.

    Test for colorfastness by taking a white cotton towel and wetting it.
    Then gently rub the red-dyed area to see if there is a color transfer.

    > Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    > Thanks in advance for all advice.

    if you're handy...you could remove the batting/stuffing and wash the fabric by
    hand. It will dry faster.

    HTH

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 16, 2009
  4. Mike Easter <> wrote in message

    > T wrote:
    >> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy.

    > Accustomed germs/microbes are better for children than some sanitizing
    > agents.
    >
    > The child doesn't care if it is dirty. The child's immune system
    > doesn't care if it is 'germy' with some good ole germs.

    What, like disease-causing bacteria such as Campylobacter? Perhaps, the most
    common type of food poisoning contracted from Salmonella often due to
    undercooked foods Listeria? What about E Coli 0157 from poor hand washing
    from raw meat and often passed on from not washing hands after the toilet -
    Bacterial spores? Bacteria in a dormant (non-active) state - Candida the
    fungus thrush in babies?

    Mmm.

    Neville Poole, Jan 16, 2009
  5. T

    Keyser Söze Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in message

    > T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy.
    >> It is a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this
    >> picture.
    >>
    >> http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >>
    >> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
    >> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
    >> look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry
    >> clean it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate,
    >> not good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
    >> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
    >> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
    >> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    >> Thanks in advance for all advice.
    >>

    > Trow the fucker away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
    > HTH

    The microwave, the microwave.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Jan 16, 2009
  6. T

    John Holmes Guest

    Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes <> wrote in message
    >
    >> T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy.
    >>> It is a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this
    >>> picture.
    >>>
    >>> http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >>>
    >>> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
    >>> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
    >>> look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry
    >>> clean it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate,
    >>> not good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
    >>> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
    >>> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
    >>> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    >>> Thanks in advance for all advice.
    >>>

    >> Trow the fucker away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
    >> HTH

    > The microwave, the microwave.

    A perfect device to clean kids in!

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2009
  7. T

    > Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Trow the fucker away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
    >>> HTH

    >> The microwave, the microwave.
    >>

    > A perfect device to clean kids in!

    I love kids, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Jan 16, 2009

    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/cleaning/moldy-stuffed-animals-jun07

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    "You know you can indict a ham sandwich if you want to."
    William J. Martini, Judge, United States District Court
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Jan 16, 2009
  9. T

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:52:31 -0000, "T" <> wrote:

    >I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is a
    >toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.

    We have always placed them in a cloth bag or pillow case, then threw them in the
    washer.
    Shel-hed, Jan 16, 2009
  10. T

    John Holmes Guest

    Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> John Holmes <> wrote in message

    >>> The microwave, the microwave.
    >>>

    >> A perfect device to clean kids in!

    > I love kids, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

    Depends on how big the kid is.
    http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/w/7/eating_babies2.jpg

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 16, 2009
  11. T

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, John Holmes Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It
    >> is a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.
    >>
    >> http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >>
    >> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
    >> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
    >> look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry clean
    >> it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate, not
    >> good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
    >> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
    >> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
    >> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    >> Thanks in advance for all advice.
    >>

    > Trow the fucker away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
    > HTH

    Amen! The fucking thing is probably laden with life threatening
    bacteria from China anyway.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Jan 17, 2009
  12. T

    Scribner Guest

    http://www.kidsmartliving.com/tebeclalclby.html
    Scribner, Jan 17, 2009
  13. Why not have it dry cleaned and if it actually does irritate, wash it in a
    colour-protecting detergent.
    I doubt very much that your kids will be allergic to any DC residue.
    I think you're being hypochondriacally paranoid - like a lot of
    scientifically-ignorant dupes these days.
    Get a grip, you woose.
    It's not agent orange FGS !
    I'm sure if there were actual grounds for fears over DC fluids, people like
    you would have made sure that the thing was banned on the slightest of
    evidence, by now.
    To my knowledge such as it is, there are no studies showing that dry-cleaned
    toys are responsible for Autism or mental retardation.

    Centre Parting, Jan 17, 2009
  14. T

    > Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> A perfect device to clean kids in!

    >> I love kids, but I couldn't eat a whole one.
    >>

    > Depends on how big the kid is.
    > http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/w/7/eating_babies2.jpg

    It obviously a young goat <FBG>

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Jan 17, 2009
  15. T

    Esta Bayliss Guest

    philo illumined:

    > "T" <> wrote in message
    >> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is
    >> a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this
    >> picture. http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
    >>
    >> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
    >> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as
    >> new look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry
    >> clean it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate,
    >> not good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
    >> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
    >> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
    >> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
    >> Thanks in advance for all advice.
    >>

    > Yes,
    >
    > white bread.
    >
    > Wipe away the dirt with a piece of white bread.
    >
    > Just use a piece of some cheap bread such as Wonder bread
    > and an old, stale piece will do.
    >
    > Of course you will want to do it outside or over the kitchen sink,
    > then brush off the toy afterwards

    What... no butter?
    Esta Bayliss, Jan 17, 2009
  16. Neville Poole wrote:

    >> The child doesn't care if it is dirty. The child's immune system
    >> doesn't care if it is 'germy' with some good ole germs.

    > What, like disease-causing bacteria such as Campylobacter? Perhaps,
    > the most common type of food poisoning contracted from Salmonella
    > often due to undercooked foods Listeria? What about E Coli 0157 from
    > poor hand washing from raw meat and often passed on from not washing
    > hands after the toilet - Bacterial spores? Bacteria in a dormant
    > (non-active) state - Candida the fungus thrush in babies?
    >
    > Mmm.

    The toy isn't used in a isolation ward where the concentration of
    possible harmful bacteria is expected to be high enough.
    Of course, not washing hands after touching raw bloody matter or coming
    from the loo, is another source of infection - but that misbehavior
    should be handled by good upbringing.

    Moderate exposure to common, ubiquitous bacteria and other germs, indeed
    is said to help prevent later allergies and autoimmune diseases.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 17, 2009
  17. T

    Renell Walls Guest

    philo enjoined:

    > "Esta Bayliss" <> wrote in message
    >> philo illumined:
    >>
    >>> "T" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes,
    >>>
    >>> white bread.
    >>>
    >>> Wipe away the dirt with a piece of white bread.
    >>>
    >>> Just use a piece of some cheap bread such as Wonder bread
    >>> and an old, stale piece will do.
    >>>
    >>> Of course you will want to do it outside or over the kitchen sink,
    >>> then brush off the toy afterwards

    >> What... no butter?

    > Nah,
    > that would make the toy greasy.
    >
    > Anyway, the bread method was what my grandmother did
    > when she cleaned my teddy bear back in 1953.
    >
    > It worked !

    At least the bear didn't go hungry ;)
    Renell Walls, Jan 18, 2009