how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicate on internet??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ashjas, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    Hi,
    I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
    to communicate .. thru internet..

    Is there a software to check this...please help..

    thanks..
    ashjas, Jul 9, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ashjas

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicateon internet??

    ashjas wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
    > to communicate .. thru internet..
    >
    > Is there a software to check this...please help..
    >
    > thanks..
    >


    Active Ports or TCPView and they are both free use Google.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 9, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    precisely..what i want to know..is that if i allow an application to
    freely access the internet thru my firewall(bitdefender),then is there
    some software that can list the ports that are open through that
    particular application..

    Thanks..
    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > ashjas wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
    > > to communicate .. thru internet..
    > >
    > > Is there a software to check this...please help..
    > >
    > > thanks..
    > >

    >
    > Active Ports or TCPView and they are both free use Google.
    >
    > Duane :)
    ashjas, Jul 9, 2006
    #3
  4. ashjas

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicateon internet??

    ashjas wrote:
    > precisely..what i want to know..is that if i allow an application to
    > freely access the internet thru my firewall(bitdefender),then is there
    > some software that can list the ports that are open through that
    > particular application..
    >
    > Thanks..


    Once again, Active Ports or TCPview more so Active Ports will tell you
    what program is opening to send data and listening to receive data on
    ports with or without a personal FW in front of it. If the program opens
    a particular port, then the FW has that port open too.

    If the program running on the computer is opening ports to send or
    receive packets, Active Ports will show you not only the ports that are
    being used but also what program is doing it.

    Keep in mind, that the program that's opening the ports may only be a
    host for another program like a Dll the program is hosting and it's the
    the Dll wanting the ports open.

    The tools in the link will be shown to you.

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 9, 2006
    #4
  5. ashjas

    why? Guest

    On 9 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, ashjas wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
    >to communicate .. thru internet..
    >
    >Is there a software to check this...please help..


    Assuming a Windows OS,

    App/port list
    CurrPorts - Nir Sofer v1.09 Apr 17 2006 freeware


    I use,
    Outpost Firewall, links application to ports.
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    I would also assume Zone Alarm and others would do a similar list.


    Additional,
    OpenedFilesView - Nir Sofer v1.01 Jul 03 2006 - freeware


    Although not linking app to port, these are a must as well, the already
    mentioned TCPView , Process Explorer and TDIMon from
    www.sysinternals.com




    Me
    why?, Jul 9, 2006
    #5
  6. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    Thank You for all the help.
    why? wrote:
    > On 9 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, ashjas wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
    > >to communicate .. thru internet..
    > >
    > >Is there a software to check this...please help..

    >
    > Assuming a Windows OS,
    >
    > App/port list
    > CurrPorts - Nir Sofer v1.09 Apr 17 2006 freeware
    >
    >
    > I use,
    > Outpost Firewall, links application to ports.
    > http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    > I would also assume Zone Alarm and others would do a similar list.
    >
    >
    > Additional,
    > OpenedFilesView - Nir Sofer v1.01 Jul 03 2006 - freeware
    >
    >
    > Although not linking app to port, these are a must as well, the already
    > mentioned TCPView , Process Explorer and TDIMon from
    > www.sysinternals.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Me
    ashjas, Jul 9, 2006
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?UmlmbGVtYW4=?=

    Windows XP laptop and Windows 2000 desktop won't communicate

    =?Utf-8?B?UmlmbGVtYW4=?=, Aug 19, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    782
    =?Utf-8?B?UmlmbGVtYW4=?=
    Aug 19, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlYWt5Tw==?=

    Laptop Won't Communicate with Desktop

    =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlYWt5Tw==?=, Jun 20, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    574
    Steve Winograd [MVP]
    Jun 20, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

    IE works but can't communicate with desktop NEED TO TRANSFER FILES

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=, Aug 1, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    425
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=
    Aug 10, 2005
  4. Alix

    Firewall shows ports being used in sqeuence

    Alix, Dec 5, 2005, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,642
    Wolfgang Kueter
    Dec 8, 2005
  5. Betaville
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,732
    Jeff Strickland
    Nov 27, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page