    display's "use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my
    Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Can someone help me please.
    pan, Apr 25, 2008

  2. pan

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: How to check my second display's "use this device as the primary monitor"

    In message
    <> pan
    <> wrote:

    >In my display property, I can not check my second display's "use this
    >device as the primary monitor". Rarely, I am able to check the second
    >display's "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    >Note: In my first display property, I can not uncheck my first
    >display's "use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my
    >Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    >Can someone help me please.

    You can never uncheck the "use this device as the primary monitor", the
    way this control works is that you enable it on a secondary display once
    you get the secondary display working.

    Without more information I'm not really sure where to start, but first
    off, is this a laptop? What OS? What video card? Have you installed
    the video card manufacturer's drivers and/or software, or are you using
    what Microsoft provides (if applicable)?
    DevilsPGD, Apr 25, 2008

  3. pan

    PeeCee Guest

    "pan" <> wrote in message
    > In my display property, I can not check my second display's "use this
    > device as the primary monitor". Rarely, I am able to check the second
    > display's "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    > Note: In my first display property, I can not uncheck my first
    > display's "use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my
    > Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    > Can someone help me please.

    Pan

    I suspect you will find you won't be able tot untick the primary attribute
    'by design'
    i.e. that's the way your graphics card is made.
    Anyway I think you are trying to use your 'extended desktop' the wrong way.
    As I said in my second reply to your original post :
    ***********
    No you don't want to make your TV your primary monitor and run your movie
    there.
    You need to enable extended desktop then drag whatever app you want from the
    primary to the secondary display.

    eg
    Primary display on with normal desktop and icons, extended desktop on and
    showing your desktop on your TV (via SVideo)
    Open (say) Media Player with a movie loaded, point to the title bar of
    Media Players window, left click, hold and drag to the right side of your
    primary display.
    As Media Player disappears out the right side of your primary display it
    will start to show up on the Left side of your secondary display.
    Now click the maximise button of Media Players window and it will fill the
    whole of the 'secondary' display, click play and watch your movie while you
    carry on with other tasks in on the primary monitor.

    Gotcha's
    Depending on how many options you've clicked in the display settings the
    entry / exit side may be left or right, top or bottom of your primary
    display.
    Drag your app back to the primary display before closing, otherwise if the
    secondary display is off and you open the app again you won't be able to
    find it because it's on the secondary display. (this is if you leave
    extended desktop on but turn the TV off)

    There are utilities that will extend your toolbar etc onto the secondary
    display, just google for them.

    Lastly TV's are not very good at displaying the fine text etc that a normal
    PC monitor can that is why you should only consider using it for video and
    photo display.
    Though if you happen to have a newer HD LCD TV with a PC VGA or DVI input
    socket......
    *****************

    To reinforce my comments above, your SVideo output to your TV is the
    'Secondary' display.
    The commonly accepted way of using an extended desktop is to use it as a
    place to put things that you want open and visible on your 'Secondary
    display' while you carry on working on your Main (Primary) screen.
    A classic example would be for you to have your email window open on the
    secondary display while you work away at a spreadsheet on your primary
    display.

    One advantage of using it this way to show a movie for example is any system
    messages will pop up on the primary display and not interfere with (say) a
    movie on the Secondary.

    If you 'must' have the primary display on your TV then you could purchase a
    VGA to SVideo adaptor like this one
    http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html
    However as I alluded to above the quality of the display will not allow you
    to 'use' the output for anything other than Video or Photo viewing.
    This is why the 'Media Center' editions of Windows have such large icons on
    a plain background.

    Just to be quite clear; SVideo is not good enough to show the text from a
    computer clearly so there is no point in making it your primary display.
    You can only get that sort of clarity by using a HD TV with a VGA or DVI
    input and running it from a second VGA/DVI port on your computer.

    Finally may I suggest you post more details on just what you are trying to
    achieve.
    The above advice is given from my experience but it 'assumes' you are trying
    to use the hardware the way it was intended.
    If on the other hand you are trying to use your TV as a Large monitor like
    many thousands have tried before you then you should have said so.
    (Though your other post talks about playing a 'movie' on your laptop!)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Apr 25, 2008