How to check for spyware?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by SNTP, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    Hi all,

    From time to time, IMMEDIATELY after I use my PayPal account or go to
    eBay, I get a fishing emails pretending to be from PayPal or eBay and
    urging me to do you know what.
    I can see two possibilities:

    1. I have some spy program sitting in my computer. I use Norton
    Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and do regular scans with Ad-Ware.
    ¿What other programs can I use to keep my computer clean?

    2. Someone at my ISP was fishing. I say WAS because I just changed the
    provider. It's a moot point now, but I am curious if it is possible to
    do from ISP office?

    TIA

    SNTP

    SNTP, Feb 10, 2005

  2. 1) Download the following item...

    Adaware SE (Free personal version)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    2) Update Adaware with latest definitions.
    3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
    5) Using Adaware SE, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete
    any parasites found.
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using Adaware
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 10, 2005

  3. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    David, thanks for the response.
    I've done the both scans and my computer came out clean. Looks like
    someone at my former ISP was involved in fishing.

    SNTP, Feb 11, 2005