How to check for malfunction of my computer's memory chips

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Hubert Earl, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Hubert Earl

    Hubert Earl Guest

    Hubert Earl, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Hubert Earl

    Duane Arnold Guest

    http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ
    > 3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

    If yoy can burn a CD, Ultimate Boot CD has some memory test programs.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Hubert Earl

    Hubert Earl Guest

    Hi again,

    > If yoy can burn a CD, Ultimate Boot CD has some memory test programs.
    >
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that my memory is SDRAM. Does
    that make a difference in how it should be checked?

    Hubert
    --
    Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay:
    http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store;
    Hubert Earl, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Hubert Earl

    Ken Dennis Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:14:30 -0500, Hubert Earl wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a suspicion that my computer's memory chips may be malfunctioning.
    > How can I check them to be sure?

    I like a bootable cd Called MemTest86. It's available at
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    --
    Ken Dennis
    http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net/
    Ken Dennis, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Hubert Earl

    Ken Dennis Guest

    > Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that my memory is SDRAM. Does
    > that make a difference in how it should be checked?

    That CD is fine for SDRAM yes. The ram type really doesn't matter all
    that much.

    Cheers,

    Ken Dennis, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Hubert Earl

    Thor Guest

    "Hubert Earl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi again,
    >
    >> If yoy can burn a CD, Ultimate Boot CD has some memory test programs.
    >>
    >> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    > Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that my memory is SDRAM.
    > Does
    > that make a difference in how it should be checked?

    no. If you don't want to bother with burning a CD, try looking for a program
    called memtest86. It's free, and just put it on a bootable floppy disk, boot
    to the disk, and type memtest86, and press enter.
    Thor, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Hubert Earl

    Hubert Earl Guest

    Hi Ken,

    > I like a bootable cd Called MemTest86. It's available at
    > http://www.memtest86.com/

    Thanks for the info. I downloaded the files and put them on a floppy disk
    which I used to reboot the system. However, the test seemed to be taking a
    lot of time. It hadn't finished yet when I had to cancel it after 50
    minutes. Is it normal for a memory chip check to take so long?

    Hubert

    Hubert Earl, Oct 25, 2004