    Is there a way to change it so the GUI looks like XP? Maybe Tahoma!?!?

    Thanks.

    Joe Maldon.

    Joe Maldon, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Joe Maldon

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Joe Maldon" <> wrote in message
    news:fa2943$itk$2surf.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just installed Vista and don't like the shell font (Segoe UI I believe?)
    >
    > Is there a way to change it so the GUI looks like XP? Maybe Tahoma!?!?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe Maldon.

    Right-click the desktop, select Personalize, then Window Color and
    Appearance, then click "Open classic properties for more color options, in
    that dialog box, click Advanced. There, in a dialog box similar to one in
    XP, you will find the options to change fonts for much of the system.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Joe Maldon

    Joe Maldon Guest

    > Right-click the desktop, select Personalize, then Window Color and
    > Appearance, then click "Open classic properties for more color options, in
    > that dialog box, click Advanced. There, in a dialog box similar to one in
    > XP, you will find the options to change fonts for much of the system.

    Done that but still get some dialog boxes which have Segoe UI displayed. Any
    ideas please?

    Thanks.

    Joe Maldon.

    Joe Maldon, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Joe Maldon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:20:51 +0100, "Joe Maldon"
    <> wrote:

    >Done that but still get some dialog boxes which have Segoe UI displayed. Any
    >ideas please?

    What dialog boxes?

    Evan Platt, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Joe Maldon

    Joe Maldon Guest

    > What dialog boxes?

    e.g. Control Panel | Date and Time

    Everything else std fonts (as per XP). Just various dialogues Vista font.
    Horrible on my flat panel!!!!! I thought ClearType was supposed to make
    fonts better .... they actually look worse ... std fresh install vista on a
    Dell E520 ATI X1300 Pro card. Thought these Vista fonts were supposed to be
    an improvement. I feel they are a backward step?!?!???!

    Joe Maldon.

    Joe Maldon, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Joe Maldon

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Joe Maldon" <> wrote in message

    >> What dialog boxes?
    >>

    > e.g. Control Panel | Date and Time
    >
    > Everything else std fonts (as per XP). Just various dialogues Vista font.
    > Horrible on my flat panel!!!!! I thought ClearType was supposed to make
    > fonts better .... they actually look worse ... std fresh install vista on
    > a Dell E520 ATI X1300 Pro card. Thought these Vista fonts were supposed to
    > be an improvement. I feel they are a backward step?!?!???!
    >
    > Joe Maldon.

    Mine is fine. Quite readable. Both on the laptop and the desktop with the
    19" LCD.

    Do you have the correct resolution (native) chosen for the flat panel?
    Quoted from Windows' help files:

    "The best display for an LCD monitor

    If you have an LCD monitor, check your screen resolution, which helps to
    determine the clarity of on-screen images and objects. It's a good practice
    to set LCD monitors to the native resolution-the resolution a monitor was
    designed to display best, based on its size. The monitor manufacturer or
    reseller should be able to provide the native resolution. If you can't get
    this information, you can try setting the monitor to the highest available
    resolution, which is usually the native resolution. See Change screen
    resolution.

    LCD monitors can technically support lower resolutions than their native
    resolution, but the image might be small, centered on the screen, and edged
    with black; or the image will look stretched."

    Have you played with the various options of font smoothing? (Also quoted
    from Windows' help files - click start, help and support, search for
    cleartype)

    "Make text easier to read using ClearType

    ClearType font technology makes the text on your screen almost as sharp and
    clear as text that is printed on paper. It is on by default in this version
    of Windows.

    To get the full benefit of ClearType, you'll need a high-quality, flat-panel
    monitor, such as LCD or plasma. Even on a CRT monitor, you might get some
    improvement in readability with ClearType.

    To tune ClearType
    You can use the online tuner to further adjust the legibility of on-screen
    items.
    Go to the Microsoft typography website, and then follow the instructions for
    tuning ClearType.

    To turn on ClearType
    Click to open Appearance Settings.
    Click Effects.
    In the Effects dialog box, select Use the following method to smooth edges
    of screen fonts.
    Select ClearType in the list, and then click OK.

    Note
    Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have a
    video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256 colors.
    You'll get the best results with High color (24-bit) or Highest color
    (32-bit) support. You can change color quality in Display Settings in
    Control Panel."

    WhzzKdd, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Joe Maldon

    Joe Maldon Guest

> [...]

    > To tune ClearType
    > You can use the online tuner to further adjust the legibility of on-screen
    > items.
    > Go to the Microsoft typography website, and then follow the instructions
    > for tuning ClearType.
    >
    > To turn on ClearType
    > Click to open Appearance Settings.
    > Click Effects.
    > In the Effects dialog box, select Use the following method to smooth edges
    > of screen fonts.
    > Select ClearType in the list, and then click OK.
    >
    > Note
    > Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have a
    > video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256
    > colors. You'll get the best results with High color (24-bit) or Highest
    > color (32-bit) support. You can change color quality in Display Settings

    Done all that. 1280x1024 tuned cleartype and I just see it as blurred
    comparing it to standard. Don't see it as sharp at all ... in fact very NOT
    sharp around the edges!

    Joe Maldon, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Joe Maldon

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Joe Maldon" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> Go to the Microsoft typography website, and then follow the instructions
    >> for tuning ClearType.
    >>
    >> To turn on ClearType
    >> Click to open Appearance Settings.
    >> Click Effects.
    >> In the Effects dialog box, select Use the following method to smooth
    >> edges of screen fonts.
    >> Select ClearType in the list, and then click OK.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have a
    >> video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256
    >> colors. You'll get the best results with High color (24-bit) or Highest
    >> color (32-bit) support. You can change color quality in Display Settings
    >> in Control Panel."
    >>

    > Done all that. 1280x1024 tuned cleartype and I just see it as blurred
    > comparing it to standard. Don't see it as sharp at all ... in fact very

    Re-read the above help file information: ClearType isn't designed to
    "sharpen" text. In fact, it is designed to "smooth" the fonts. On my system,
    it puts a shadow behind the text, I'm assuming that's to make it stand off
    the background a bit.

    One more thing to look at from the help files:

    "Can I make on-screen fonts clearer?

    Yes. Typically, the higher the dots per inch (DPI), the better the fonts
    will look. For more information, see Make the text on your screen larger or
    smaller.
    If you set the DPI higher than 96, and you are running Windows Aero (the
    premium visual experience of Windows Vista), the text and other items on the
    screen might appear blurry in some programs that are not designed for
    high-DPI display in this version of Windows. You can avoid this issue by
    using Windows XP style DPI scaling for these programs.

    To make text and on-screen items clearer in programs that aren't designed
    for high DPI
    Click to open Personalization.
    In the left pane, click Adjust font size (DPI). If you are prompted for an
    administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
    confirmation.
    In the DPI Scaling dialog box, click Custom DPI.
    Select the Use Windows XP style DPI scaling check box, and then click OK."

    WhzzKdd, Aug 18, 2007