How to change SSID and password on wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Broooz, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    Please does anyone have a simple guide to changing the SSID and also the
    password on a totally wireless network. I am worried about making the
    change and then being cut off from the router (which is in a different room)
    if it doesn't go well.

    Changing the SSID - I can see how to change the SSID in the router but not
    on the PC - it seems to be greyed out. Do I simply create a new connection
    with the new SSID? (I am using XP SP3)

    When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
    the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
    recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember how).

    Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

    Thanks

    Broooz, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Broooz

    John Guest

    "Broooz" <> wrote in message
    > Please does anyone have a simple guide to changing the SSID and also the
    > password on a totally wireless network. I am worried about making the
    > change and then being cut off from the router (which is in a different
    > room) if it doesn't go well.

    It is highly recommended to change wifi settings using a hard wired PC (ie:
    use ethernet cable). You will definitely lose your wireless connection if
    you change the SSID, passphrase, channel and so on. You can either take your
    PC/laptop close to the router or the other way around.

    > Changing the SSID - I can see how to change the SSID in the router but not
    > on the PC - it seems to be greyed out. Do I simply create a new
    > connection with the new SSID? (I am using XP SP3)

    Most likely your connection will get disconnected after you saving the
    change. You just have to go to your wifi management (Windows WZC or 3rd
    party management software) on your PC. Refresh the list and double click the
    new SSID name. You may be prompted for a passphrase.

    > When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
    > the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
    > recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember
    > how).

    Not sure what you're talking about here. What is your router brand and
    model?

    John, Jul 25, 2008

  3. Broooz

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:28:21 +0100, "Broooz" <>
    wrote:

    >When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
    >the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
    >recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember how).
    >
    >Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

    Use the same passphrase on the router and the pc. Forget about
    converting to hex and such things, that's all related to using wep
    encryption. Key exchange is much more user friendly with wpa-psk.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    "James Egan" <> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:28:21 +0100, "Broooz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
    >>the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
    >>recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember
    >>how).
    >>
    >>Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

    > Use the same passphrase on the router and the pc. Forget about
    > converting to hex and such things, that's all related to using wep
    > encryption. Key exchange is much more user friendly with wpa-psk.

    OK thank you both very much

    Broooz, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Broooz

    Guest

    >> Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best
    >> setting.

    What about the key index? What is the best setting for that?

    Jeff

    , Jul 26, 2008
  6. Broooz

    Lem Guest

    Lem, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Hi
    Hopefully you would be OK.
    If you are Not, then do the same as suggest already but do it with a
    computer that can connect to the Router via a wire.
    After the Router is configured via wire, you can configure easily the
    Wireless computers.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    P.S. Almost all Laptop thta re current and few years old ha a wire jack as
    well.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 26, 2008
  8. Broooz

    Broooz Guest