    Once a computer has an IP address can it be changed? How?

    Thanks

    James
    James, Jan 24, 2004

  2. James

    Pepperoni Guest

    IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
    assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
    reconnect.

    If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
    entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
    numbers in your LAN IP.

    To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
    Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the process
    is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
    name)
    The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign the
    same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
    servers, printers, etc.

    Pepperoni, Jan 24, 2004

  3. James

    John Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:28:18 -0500, "Pepperoni"
    <> wrote:

    >IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
    >assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
    >reconnect.
    >
    >If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
    >entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
    >numbers in your LAN IP.
    >
    >To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
    >Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the process
    >is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
    >name)
    >The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign the
    >same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
    >servers, printers, etc.

    If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
    I wouldn't mind knowing that info.

    Thanks

    John
    John, Jan 24, 2004
  4. James

    Duane Arnold Guest

    James <> wrote in news:Xns947A97BC3560Enewsquilliannet@
    24.93.43.121:

    > Can anyone tell me how and individual computer's IP address is
    > determined?
    >
    > Once a computer has an IP address can it be changed? How?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > James

    If you're on a dial-up or using ADSL, then you will get a different DHCP
    IP assign each time you connect to the ISP.

    If you're connecting to a broad band ISP, the DHCP or static IP issued by
    the ISP is tied to the MAC of the NIC on your computer or whatever device
    that's behind the modem, such as the router's MAC is known to the ISP.

    But what actually gets the IP from the ISP in either of the above cases
    is the modem, which has its own MAC which is provisioned with the ISP and
    the second MAC of the computer's NIC or router's MAC are link to the
    user's account.

    You can leave your modem and machine off for a couple months and you may
    or may not get a new IP. You can also call the ISP and see if you can get
    a new one issued, if someone on the Help Desk even knows what you are
    requesting.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 24, 2004
  5. James

    Pepperoni Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:28:18 -0500, "Pepperoni"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
    > >assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
    > >reconnect.
    > >
    > >If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
    > >entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
    > >numbers in your LAN IP.
    > >
    > >To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
    > >Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the

    process
    > >is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
    > >name)
    > >The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign

    the
    > >same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
    > >servers, printers, etc.

    > If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
    > I wouldn't mind knowing that info.

    In your help files, look up "IP configuration utility". It will tell you
    the proper file to run.
    Pepperoni, Jan 24, 2004
  6. James

    Wizard Guest

    Open a dos box (run "cmd")
    type "ipconfig"

    Wizard, Jan 24, 2004
  7. James

    Todd Howard Guest

    Go to "run"...type cmd.....then type ipconfig /all in the "dos" box that
    comes up...
    TH

    Todd Howard, Jan 24, 2004
  8. James

    Robert Guest

    I tried this and it brought up all of the information, however how do
    you actually modify it? This only looks like it shows you the data.

    Robert, Jan 25, 2004
  9. James

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:58:08 GMT, "Robert" <>
    wrote:

    >I tried this and it brought up all of the information, however how do
    >you actually modify it? This only looks like it shows you the data.
    >
    >"Wizard" <> wrote in message
    >> Open a dos box (run "cmd")
    >> type "ipconfig"

    type...

    ipconfig /?

    that'll tell you the commands available to change things.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 25, 2004
  10. James

    Wizard Guest

    Networking/tcpip/properties

    Wizard, Jan 25, 2004
  11. James

    Firebird81 Guest

    Dynamic IP leases usually last only a few days and then they are changed,
    whether you are connected or not. At least that's what I always thought.
    Firebird81, Jan 25, 2004
  12. James

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Firebird81" <> wrote in

    > Dynamic IP leases usually last only a few days and then they are
    > changed, whether you are connected or not. At least that's what I
    > always thought.

    I have had the same IP from the ISP for over a year. And it's a DHCP IP
    being used as the ISP doesn't sale static IP(s) to it's customers. My
    network is never totally down.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 25, 2004
  13. James

    Thor Guest

    open the "network settings" applett in the control panel, and right-click
    your network connection, and choose "properties". Then double-click the
    TCP/IP protocol entry, and you can set it to an assigned IP address there.

    Thor, Jan 25, 2004