    to get another, what is the correcvt way of swapping, and do you think this
    would do any good ???
    FRED
    fredcromer, Jul 2, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    What Anti Spyware progs have you got?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 2, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    The Prophecy Guest

    fredcromer wrote:
    > How do i go about getting rid of the current IE, as it has a 123mania
    > hijack on it, if i deleted/uninstalled it, how would i go to the
    > microsoft updates to get another, what is the correcvt way of
    > swapping, and do you think this would do any good ???
    > FRED

    Use these spyware scanners.

    --
    Download, update and use the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    Spy Sweeper
    http://www.webroot.com
    The Prophecy, Jul 2, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    Plato Guest

    fredcromer wrote:

    > How do i go about getting rid of the current IE, as it has a 123mania hijack
    > on it, if i deleted/uninstalled it, how would i go to the microsoft updates
    > to get another, what is the correcvt way of swapping, and do you think this

    In a way I'm glad now that IE has so much of the market as IE is such a
    target for the nasty boys as well as the national dialups that modifiy
    it. The IE on my main pc is now just a garbage can.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 2, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > fredcromer wrote:
    > >
    > > How do i go about getting rid of the current IE, as it has a

    123mania hijack
    > > on it, if i deleted/uninstalled it, how would i go to the

    microsoft updates
    > > to get another, what is the correcvt way of swapping, and do

    you think this

    > In a way I'm glad now that IE has so much of the market as IE is

    such a
    > target for the nasty boys as well as the national dialups that

    modifiy
    > it. The IE on my main pc is now just a garbage can.

    IE has its faults but it is as secure as could reasonably be
    expected. Unfortunately Microsoft is
    a target for those determined to exploit loopholes in features
    that were
    meant to be helpful to users.
    HonestJohn, Jul 2, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Plato Guest

    HonestJohn wrote:

    > IE has its faults but it is as secure as could reasonably be
    > expected. Unfortunately Microsoft is
    > a target for those determined to exploit loopholes in features
    > that were
    > meant to be helpful to users.

    Of course you're right. Any browser that had such a large market share
    would suffer the same "problems".
    Plato, Jul 2, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    So what browser do you use Plato?

    I'm thinking about getting Longhorn, anyone know if that's any good?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 2, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > So what browser do you use Plato?

    I use 4 different ones. I dont have a preference as the #1 best.
    Plato, Jul 2, 2004
  9. fredcromer

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    And one of them would be...

    And don't say Netscape! - I have major issues with that.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 2, 2004
  10. fredcromer

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "HonestJohn" <> wrote in news:tThFc.2158
    $:

    > IE has its faults but it is as secure as could reasonably be
    > expected. Unfortunately Microsoft is

    Considering Netscape (even when it was popular and used by > 50% of the
    internet citizens) and Opera have never had this many severe holes, I can't
    see how you can truly believe that statement. I have /never/ talked to a
    Netscape user that had spyware hijack their browser to the point it was
    unusable (or even at all, for that matter).
    Jim Berwick, Jul 2, 2004
  11. fredcromer

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cc4fnh$grt$:

    > And don't say Netscape! - I have major issues with that.

    Firefox is fantastic. What version of netscape do you have a problem with?
    Jim Berwick, Jul 2, 2004
  12. fredcromer

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Well I have. I used it for two years and found it to be dull, boring and
    absolutely crap. Yes IE has had a few problems but I would chose IE over
    Netscape any day.

    As I said I'm giving serious thought to switch to Longhorn, does anyone in
    here use that?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 2, 2004
  13. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "HonestJohn" <> wrote in news:tThFc.2158
    > $:
    >
    > > IE has its faults but it is as secure as could reasonably be
    > > expected. Unfortunately Microsoft is
    > >

    > Considering Netscape (even when it was popular and used by > 50% of the
    > internet citizens) and Opera have never had this many severe holes,

    When Netscape was still being used by >50% of netizens, it was a
    substantially less complex, and less capable browser platform, as was IE
    2.0, and 3.0. I would submit that the number of ways that a browser could be
    exploited was a comparably tiny then, compared to now, even if you are only
    comparing Netscape then, versus Netscape now. What do you want to bet that
    IE 2.0 and 3.0 is harder to exploit than IE 6 due to the lack of features in
    comparison? I wholeheartedly agree that MS does need get browser security
    religion though. Eagerly awaiting XP SP2. Should be a substantial
    improvement.
    Thor, Jul 2, 2004
  14. fredcromer

    jeremy Guest

    I love how Microsuck has everyone hoping the next release will be the
    one that works. I remember how XP was touted as the answer to all the
    problems.
    JJ

    jeremy, Jul 2, 2004
  15. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > I love how Microsuck has everyone hoping the next release will be the
    > one that works. I remember how XP was touted as the answer to all the
    > problems.
    > JJ

    XP IMHO is still:

    1. Far more stable, and capable than any Win9X version
    2. More user friendly and supportive of popular software and hardware than
    Linux (and I've sampled multiple distros over the years)
    3. More supported by software and hardware customization than Apple

    So in a way it IS the answer to the many problems that those other OSes
    have.
    Thor, Jul 3, 2004
  16. fredcromer

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > > I love how Microsuck has everyone hoping the next release will

    be the
    > > one that works. I remember how XP was touted as the answer to

    all the
    > > problems.
    > > JJ

    > XP IMHO is still:
    >
    > 1. Far more stable, and capable than any Win9X version
    > 2. More user friendly and supportive of popular software and

    hardware than
    > Linux (and I've sampled multiple distros over the years)
    > 3. More supported by software and hardware customization than

    Apple

    > So in a way it IS the answer to the many problems that those

    other OSes
    > have.

    Could not agree more. Since using XP for twelve months it's
    crashed twice - Windows Me was crashing every other week.

    Apple OS and Linux are touted as safe alternatives to Windows but
    both
    systems have security flaws. The only reason they have escaped
    serious
    attention from virus writers - so far - is because of their
    smaller user
    bases.

    Then the knockers will always criticize Windows, because in some
    sort of inverted snobbery, they think by using an O/S that's more
    complicated and not used by the masses, they are somehow superior.
    HonestJohn, Jul 3, 2004
  17. fredcromer

    fredcromer Guest

    I have used avg6, spybot search+destroy, spysweeper, cwshredder,and a couple
    more i d,loaded.....I couldn't get a clean download of'' hijack this'', and
    'sods law' I think from reading various posts, that's the one i might need
    to get rid of this 123mania, it, ( the 123mania hijack trace ), always gets
    caught and quarantined in spysweepers sweep, at the internet explorer,search
    point, but every time i delete it from quarantine, it's back in 10 mins,
    displaying a site/page with the title bar 'the best content...' and it
    hijacks my searches by displaying the 123mania as a searchpage with some
    sort of bull###t search bar on it, with the site i'm looking for saying it
    has not found the site....and the sites are like, popular sites.......i dont
    even wanna click on the search redirect button/link on the page......hope
    someone can help,but nice one for advice/suggestions.....FRED
    fredcromer, Jul 3, 2004
  18. fredcromer

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 02:12:59 +0100, "fredcromer" <fred@refrobbedsol>
    wrote:

    >I have used avg6, spybot search+destroy, spysweeper, cwshredder,and a couple
    >more i d,loaded.....I couldn't get a clean download of'' hijack this'', and
    >'sods law' I think from reading various posts, that's the one i might need
    >to get rid of this 123mania, it, ( the 123mania hijack trace ), always gets
    >caught and quarantined in spysweepers sweep, at the internet explorer,search
    >point, but every time i delete it from quarantine, it's back in 10 mins,
    >displaying a site/page with the title bar 'the best content...' and it
    >hijacks my searches by displaying the 123mania as a searchpage with some
    >sort of bull###t search bar on it, with the site i'm looking for saying it
    >has not found the site....and the sites are like, popular sites.......i dont
    >even wanna click on the search redirect button/link on the page......hope
    >someone can help,but nice one for advice/suggestions.....FRED

    Did you remember to turn off System Restore?

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  19. fredcromer

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "HonestJohn" <> wrote in news:b5nFc.2476
    $:

    > Apple OS and Linux are touted as safe alternatives to Windows but
    > both
    > systems have security flaws.

    Neither OS has near the security flaws of Windows. Apple is a niche market
    due to cost, and Linux is a geek only thing. Most people want to click on
    their IE icon and be online, not mess with configuring the eth0 interface.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 3, 2004
  20. Plato wrote:
    > Lloyd Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> So what browser do you use Plato?