    Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.

    TIA,

    John S

    John S, Jul 28, 2006

  2. John S

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Jul 29, 2006

  3. John S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    news:pzfs7oibz5m.krlht74jyeiu$...
    >I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    > purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are set
    > to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home page).
    >
    > The computers have come from various places, and the vendors have chosen
    > various default home pages to suit themselves.
    >
    > Any ideas? Presumably this setting is buried somewhere in the registry?
    >
    > PS - Obviously one can easily change the user's home page under Internet
    > Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > John S

    Showing how to change the homepage should all be part of teaching. It's
    good for people to learn how to have the homepage that suits them instead of
    being stuck with Xtra on their computers in many cases because no one at
    Senior Net could give a stuff about showing them how to change it to suit
    the individual user on their own computer.

    Another real good lack of help is not to show folk how to use favourites for
    links to webpages that they frequently visit. One poor Senior Net victim
    didn't have a thing in favourites not even the usual default links from MS.
    She still visits the pages she wants to but by writing the url into a little
    book then typing that url into the address bar each time she went to
    different webpages.
    One Senior Net outfit in Dunedin teaches **** all, they're only after the
    money from any victim that joins them. Real useful teaching XP owners new
    to computers how to use Windwows 98 LOL.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 29, 2006
  4. John S wrote:
    > I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    > purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are set
    > to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home page).
    >
    > The computers have come from various places, and the vendors have chosen
    > various default home pages to suit themselves.
    >
    > Any ideas? Presumably this setting is buried somewhere in the registry?
    >
    > PS - Obviously one can easily change the user's home page under Internet
    > Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > John S

    Assuming it is in the registry (and I imagine it is)...

    1. Change the homepage to something unique such as
    http://www.seniornet.org.nz

    2. Do a search of the registry for the above address.

    3. Export the registry key.

    4. Apply the reg file to every computer.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 29, 2006
  5. John S

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <pzfs7oibz5m.krlht74jyeiu$>,
    says...
    > I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    > purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are set
    > to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home page).
    >
    > The computers have come from various places, and the vendors have chosen
    > various default home pages to suit themselves.
    >
    > Any ideas? Presumably this setting is buried somewhere in the registry?
    >
    > PS - Obviously one can easily change the user's home page under Internet
    > Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.

    If the PC's are workstations on a domain (with AD), then you can control
    that with (Domain) Group Policy.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 29, 2006
  6. John S

    peterwn Guest

    Re: How to change "Default" home page in INternet Explorer?

    Komrade Klark wrote:

    > Assuming it is in the registry (and I imagine it is)...
    >
    > 1. Change the homepage to something unique such as
    > http://www.seniornet.org.nz
    >
    > 2. Do a search of the registry for the above address.
    >
    > 3. Export the registry key.
    >
    > 4. Apply the reg file to every computer.

    I think what the op is after is the 'hard' default that MS (or the OEM
    hardware manufacturer) uses, this being beyond the reach of the average
    user.

    peterwn, Jul 29, 2006
  7. John S

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:40:23 +1200, John S wrote:

    > I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    > purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are set
    > to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home page).

    When there type in the home page URL eg www.microsoft.com and click the OK
    button, at bottom of the window.

    Or surf to page to want as home page and select current page for, Tools >
    Internet Options > Home page

    Or have I missed something?

    Gordon, Jul 29, 2006
  8. John S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:40:23 +1200, John S wrote:
    >
    >> I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    >> purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are
    >> set
    >> to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home
    >> page).

    > When there type in the home page URL eg www.microsoft.com and click the OK
    > button, at bottom of the window.
    >
    > Or surf to page to want as home page and select current page for, Tools >
    > Internet Options > Home page
    >
    > Or have I missed something?

    LOL

    The OP has no intention of showing people at his Senior Net how the Homepage
    options actually work so that learners can start off at their favourite page
    on their own home computers every time they go online.

    What he wants to do is alter the registry settings so that the homepage
    options are locked out on the computers at his Senior Net.
    He should be worried about keeping his security up to date, if the old folk
    are online on his computers unsupervised. Good on them if they go ahead
    with a few dodgy installations that installs spyware etc onto the systems.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 29, 2006
  9. John S

    John S Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:40:23 +1200, John S wrote:

    > I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for training
    > purposes would like to have them all behave the same way when they are set
    > to use the "default" home page (in Tools > Internet Options > Home page).
    >
    > The computers have come from various places, and the vendors have chosen
    > various default home pages to suit themselves.
    >
    > Any ideas? Presumably this setting is buried somewhere in the registry?
    >
    > PS - Obviously one can easily change the user's home page under Internet
    > Options, but I would like to control what the "default" setting is also.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > John S

    Just following up my own post, many thanks to those who made suggestions.

    Thanks to "peterwn" for suggesting the MS article at
    This proved to be interesting and I expect the registry locations quoted in
    that article should be the places to look - I will try that out during the
    week.

    For anyone who is curious as to why I want to do this, it's no big deal - I
    just want all the computers used by the class to initially behave the same
    way - and go to the same page when the "default" page is in use.

    I tutor a basic (4 lesson) introductory course on the internet. Before the
    first lesson of each class I prepare all the computers by clearing out
    changes made by prior classes (eg clear the "history", clean out all the
    "favorites" entries, and set the home page back to "Default").

    During the first lesson, students get an explanation of what a home page
    is, and are told that their computer's default page will have already been
    chosen by someone else before they get the computer. They are shown how to
    change the home page to a site of their own choice (they will then use the
    NZ Herald site as an exercise), or to have a blank home page if they so
    desire.

    Later they learn about the "favorites" bookmarks, and they practice
    entering URls there, and then organising them into folders etc.

    I find that cleaning out the settings prior to lesson one is pretty helpful
    in reducing confusion which can otherwise be caused by the presence of
    entries made by previous classes. It will be slightly easier fo me if I
    can just click the "use default" for the home page, and know that all
    computers will then display the same thing when first started.

    Haven't decided yet what home page to choose for the default??

    Again, many thanks to those who took the trouble to offer help.

    Cheers, John S

    John S, Jul 30, 2006
  10. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John S wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:40:23 +1200, John S wrote:
    >
    > > I look after several computers for a SeniorNet group and, for
    > > training purposes would like to have them all behave the same way
    > > when they are set to use the "default" home page (in Tools >
    > > Internet Options > Home page).
    > >
    > > The computers have come from various places, and the vendors have
    > > chosen various default home pages to suit themselves.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Presumably this setting is buried somewhere in the
    > > registry?
    > >
    > > PS - Obviously one can easily change the user's home page under
    > > Internet Options, but I would like to control what the "default"
    > > setting is also.
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > John S

    > Just following up my own post, many thanks to those who made
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks to "peterwn" for suggesting the MS article at
    > This proved to be interesting and I expect the registry locations
    > quoted in that article should be the places to look - I will try that
    > out during the week.
    >
    > For anyone who is curious as to why I want to do this, it's no big
    > deal - I just want all the computers used by the class to initially
    > behave the same way - and go to the same page when the "default" page
    > is in use.
    >
    > I tutor a basic (4 lesson) introductory course on the internet.
    > Before the first lesson of each class I prepare all the computers by
    > clearing out changes made by prior classes (eg clear the "history",
    > clean out all the "favorites" entries, and set the home page back to
    > "Default").

    Good man.

    > During the first lesson, students get an explanation of what a home
    > page is, and are told that their computer's default page will have
    > already been chosen by someone else before they get the computer.
    > They are shown how to change the home page to a site of their own
    > choice (they will then use the NZ Herald site as an exercise), or to
    > have a blank home page if they so desire.
    >
    > Later they learn about the "favorites" bookmarks, and they practice
    > entering URls there, and then organising them into folders etc.
    >
    > I find that cleaning out the settings prior to lesson one is pretty
    > helpful in reducing confusion which can otherwise be caused by the
    > presence of entries made by previous classes. It will be slightly
    > easier fo me if I can just click the "use default" for the home page,
    > and know that all computers will then display the same thing when
    > first started.
    >
    > Haven't decided yet what home page to choose for the default??

    I always set NZCity up as the default on PCs I set up. (www.nzcity.co.nz) It
    can then be further personalised to show weather and tides for you area and
    your horoscope etc.

    > Again, many thanks to those who took the trouble to offer help.
    >
    > Cheers, John S

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.