How to Can I configure WSUS on the windows2003 server

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. I have installed WSUS on the server but the clients cannot be connected and
    therefore there cannot be updated
    =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=, Aug 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "How to configure WSUS" <How to configure >
    wrote in message news:...
    >I have installed WSUS on the server but the clients cannot be connected and
    > therefore there cannot be updated

    I suggest that you find yourself an MCSE to do the job for you.

    HTH HAND
    Frisbee®, Aug 14, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    kpg* Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in

    > "How to configure WSUS" <How to configure
    > > wrote in message
    >>I have installed WSUS on the server but the clients cannot be
    >>connected and
    >> therefore there cannot be updated

    > I suggest that you find yourself an MCSE to do the job for you.

    Isn't that what he's trying to do? Give the guy some credit.
    kpg*, Aug 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    Consultant Guest

    any errors?

    Consultant, Aug 14, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?= <How to configure

    > I have installed WSUS on the server but the clients cannot be
    > connected and therefore there cannot be updated

    Check your Group Policy settings.
    Red Swingline Stapler, Aug 14, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    2feral Guest

    Always a fun getting things working the first time round.

    1st and foremost you must move all your workstations into a new
    Organisation Unit (OU), lets call it "workstations" you cannot apply
    group policy to objects in the "computers" container and this is where
    the WSUS settings need to be activated.

    Secondly create/link a new Group Policy Object (GPO) to the
    workstation OU.

    Then edit this under | computer configuration > administrative tools >
    windows components > windows update

    You need to enable "specify intranet microsoft update service
    location"

    Thats it, you will need to wait for the clients to updated Group
    Policy about 15 minutes and then they will start appearing in the WSUS
    console.

    Come back if you are stuck
    2feral, Aug 17, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    Syed Shah Guest

    you need to configure group policy so that the clients look for the wsus
    server rather than going to windows update.

    then you need to configure the wsus server for your particular updates etc

    Syed Shah, Aug 20, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    Jeff Dempsey Guest

    Set the server in the GP to http://WSUSServer:8530 in computer
    configuration -> Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows
    Update->Specify intranet Microsoft update service location

    Enable it and choose http://wsus-server:8530 for http and 8531 for https.

    There is more info here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d1-e1cd-4f38-ad1e-d993e05657c9&displayLang=en

    Regrettably, I'm only an MCP, but working my way to MCSE....

    HTH,

    Jeff

    Jeff Dempsey, Aug 27, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SG93IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSBXU1VT?=

    Jaco Niemand Guest

    GPO settings seems to be find. Just make sure that you are in fact using
    port 8530 and not 80. This can be verified in IIS.

    Jaco Niemand, Sep 1, 2007