How to call 0800, 0845, 0870 etc

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Anthony R. Gold, Jan 9, 2012.

  1. What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?

    Thanks.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 9, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Anthony R. Gold

    S Viemeister Guest

    On 1/8/2012 10:23 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    > national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >

    I've been using BT's Softphone.
    S Viemeister, Jan 9, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:41:28 -0500, S Viemeister <>
    wrote:

    > On 1/8/2012 10:23 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>

    > I've been using BT's Softphone.


    If that is only available to BT Broadband subscribers, then I don't qualify.

    Next?
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 9, 2012
    #3
  4. Anthony R. Gold

    Soruk Guest

    On 2012-01-09, Anthony R. Gold <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:41:28 -0500, S Viemeister <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/8/2012 10:23 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >>> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >>> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>>

    >> I've been using BT's Softphone.

    >
    > If that is only available to BT Broadband subscribers, then I don't qualify.
    >
    > Next?


    Localphone route to them, and 0800 are free.
    0845 are 6p/min, 0870 are 9p/min (so usual thoughts about using
    saynoto0870 apply). Rates include VAT. 0844 is 7.44p/min, 0871 15p/min.
    (The VAT is taken when you top up, so a £12 top-up gives £10 call-time.
    Your balance will be deducted the exc-VAT rates.)

    Should you wish to sign up with them, if you sign up via
    http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/voip/join/ I'll get a small referral bonus -
    and use the voucher code JANBONUS10 should get you an extra 10% on your
    first top-up.

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell Eridani Star System
    MailStripper - http://www.MailStripper.eu/ - SMTP spam filter
    Second Number - http://secondnumber.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
    Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
    Soruk, Jan 9, 2012
    #4
  5. On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:14:25 +0000, Soruk <>
    wrote:

    > On 2012-01-09, Anthony R. Gold <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:41:28 -0500, S Viemeister <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 1/8/2012 10:23 PM, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >>>> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >>>> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>>>
    >>> I've been using BT's Softphone.

    >>
    >> If that is only available to BT Broadband subscribers, then I don't qualify.
    >>
    >> Next?

    >
    > Localphone route to them, and 0800 are free.


    Many thanks for that gem.

    > 0845 are 6p/min, 0870 are 9p/min (so usual thoughts about using
    > saynoto0870 apply). Rates include VAT. 0844 is 7.44p/min, 0871 15p/min.
    > (The VAT is taken when you top up, so a £12 top-up gives £10 call-time.
    > Your balance will be deducted the exc-VAT rates.)
    >
    > Should you wish to sign up with them, if you sign up via
    > http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/voip/join/ I'll get a small referral bonus -
    > and use the voucher code JANBONUS10 should get you an extra 10% on your
    > first top-up.


    Regret to say that I already hold a never-funded account for some reason I
    no longer recall. I just dialed 0800800150 (from here in Key West, FL) to
    hear the charming Scottish voice of the BT Residential Repair greeting. So
    0800 is even useable from an empty account.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 9, 2012
    #5
  6. Anthony R. Gold

    News Reader Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    > national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >
    > Thanks.



    Hi,


    The staple top five UK VoIP providers are all fine, and good value for this.

    Also, or, Betamax stable provide these (certainly voipcheap.co.uk) ... rates
    :

    United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal! FREE* FREE*
    United Kingdom (Mobile) 0.030 0.035
    United Kingdom [0844 Rate] 0.080 0.092
    United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.030 0.035
    United Kingdom [0871 Rate] 0.150 0.173
    United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.030 0.035
    United Kingdom [personal] 0.135 0.155


    Top fives include - Voipfone, VoipUser Org, etc.


    Best wishes,



    News Reader
    News Reader, Jan 11, 2012
    #6
  7. On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:35:35 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    wrote:

    >
    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    > The staple top five UK VoIP providers are all fine, and good value for this.


    Thanks, but who are those "staple top five"? Is there a FAQ that explains?

    > Also, or, Betamax stable provide these (certainly voipcheap.co.uk) ... rates
    > :
    >
    > United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal! FREE* FREE*
    > United Kingdom (Mobile) 0.030 0.035
    > United Kingdom [0844 Rate] 0.080 0.092
    > United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.030 0.035
    > United Kingdom [0871 Rate] 0.150 0.173
    > United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.030 0.035
    > United Kingdom [personal] 0.135 0.155
    >
    >
    > Top fives include - Voipfone, VoipUser Org, etc.


    I recognise Voipfone.

    http://www.voipuser.org/ leads to an apology that is dated 2 months ago.

    Who else?
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 12, 2012
    #7
  8. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:55:46 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:35:35 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >>> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >>
    >> The staple top five UK VoIP providers are all fine, and good value for this.

    >
    >Thanks, but who are those "staple top five"? Is there a FAQ that explains?
    >
    >> Also, or, Betamax stable provide these (certainly voipcheap.co.uk) ... rates
    >> :
    >>
    >> United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal! FREE* FREE*
    >> United Kingdom (Mobile) 0.030 0.035
    >> United Kingdom [0844 Rate] 0.080 0.092
    >> United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >> United Kingdom [0871 Rate] 0.150 0.173
    >> United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >> United Kingdom [personal] 0.135 0.155
    >>
    >>
    >> Top fives include - Voipfone, VoipUser Org, etc.

    >
    >I recognise Voipfone.
    >
    >http://www.voipuser.org/ leads to an apology that is dated 2 months ago.
    >
    >Who else?

    That doesn't bode well for voipuser. Struggling? Phased return?

    Like it or not think the top two slots in his top five would have to
    feature Skype Out and BT Broadband Voice with Vonage in the third
    slot.
    Not sure who would be fourth and fifth really. Tesco Internet phone
    would have figured at one point bit not now obviously.

    Anyone have different ideas for a list?
    In order of popularity for an outgoing call provider.


    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jan 12, 2012
    #8
  9. In message <>, Graham.
    <> writes
    >On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:55:46 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:35:35 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >>>> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The staple top five UK VoIP providers are all fine, and good value for this.

    >>
    >>Thanks, but who are those "staple top five"? Is there a FAQ that explains?
    >>
    >>> Also, or, Betamax stable provide these (certainly voipcheap.co.uk)
    >>>... rates
    >>> :
    >>>
    >>> United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal! FREE* FREE*
    >>> United Kingdom (Mobile) 0.030 0.035
    >>> United Kingdom [0844 Rate] 0.080 0.092
    >>> United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >>> United Kingdom [0871 Rate] 0.150 0.173
    >>> United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >>> United Kingdom [personal] 0.135 0.155
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Top fives include - Voipfone, VoipUser Org, etc.

    >>
    >>I recognise Voipfone.
    >>
    >>http://www.voipuser.org/ leads to an apology that is dated 2 months ago.
    >>
    >>Who else?

    >That doesn't bode well for voipuser. Struggling? Phased return?
    >
    >Like it or not think the top two slots in his top five would have to
    >feature Skype Out and BT Broadband Voice with Vonage in the third
    >slot.
    >Not sure who would be fourth and fifth really. Tesco Internet phone
    >would have figured at one point bit not now obviously.
    >
    >Anyone have different ideas for a list?
    >In order of popularity for an outgoing call provider.


    Sipgate should appear somewhere - 0844 5p/min, 0845 3p/min, 0871
    10p/min.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Jan 12, 2012
    #9
  10. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:03:23 +0000, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Graham.
    ><> writes
    >>On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:55:46 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:35:35 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >>>>> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Hi,
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> The staple top five UK VoIP providers are all fine, and good value for this.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, but who are those "staple top five"? Is there a FAQ that explains?
    >>>
    >>>> Also, or, Betamax stable provide these (certainly voipcheap.co.uk)
    >>>>... rates
    >>>> :
    >>>>
    >>>> United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal! FREE* FREE*
    >>>> United Kingdom (Mobile) 0.030 0.035
    >>>> United Kingdom [0844 Rate] 0.080 0.092
    >>>> United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >>>> United Kingdom [0871 Rate] 0.150 0.173
    >>>> United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.030 0.035
    >>>> United Kingdom [personal] 0.135 0.155
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Top fives include - Voipfone, VoipUser Org, etc.
    >>>
    >>>I recognise Voipfone.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.voipuser.org/ leads to an apology that is dated 2 months ago.
    >>>
    >>>Who else?

    >>That doesn't bode well for voipuser. Struggling? Phased return?
    >>
    >>Like it or not think the top two slots in his top five would have to
    >>feature Skype Out and BT Broadband Voice with Vonage in the third
    >>slot.
    >>Not sure who would be fourth and fifth really. Tesco Internet phone
    >>would have figured at one point bit not now obviously.
    >>
    >>Anyone have different ideas for a list?
    >>In order of popularity for an outgoing call provider.

    >
    >Sipgate should appear somewhere - 0844 5p/min, 0845 3p/min, 0871
    >10p/min.
    >
    >Malcolm


    It would also appear in *my* list also, as would several
    Betamax/Dellmont Sarl services but I thought we were compiling a list
    in order of actual popularity, not value for money.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jan 12, 2012
    #10
  11. On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:28:36 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    > On 09/01/2012 03:23, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> What do folks recommend as economical ways to call freephone, low call,
    >> national rate and other such UK numbers from places abroad?

    >
    > I use voipfone.co.uk for 0800,0845,0500 numbers as the betamax clones
    > didn't do the free ones as free. Plus they (voipfone) charge per second
    > rather than per minute of the betamax.
    > Betamax for Geo. and mobile, voipfone for everything else.


    Noted, thanks.

    > Country is irrelevant as you initiate call from internet connection with
    > your account user name and password, it matters not a jot where in the
    > world you are (apart from quality of broadband available)
    > :¬)


    If a had asked: "what is the most economical way to call a freephone number"
    I would trigger replies from one set of wingnuts, so I asked how to call
    them from abroad in my (clearly failed) attempt to avoid silly replies.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 13, 2012
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JPG

    Say No to 0870

    JPG, Aug 9, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    9,652
  2. PhilÅ
    Replies:
    51
    Views:
    1,894
  3. floppyl

    0870 numbers

    floppyl, Aug 1, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,738
  4. OM
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    902
    Martin²
    Nov 15, 2006
  5. News Reader
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,753
    News Reader
    Apr 3, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page