How to calibrate LCD monitor (LG L194WT) ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    monitor LG L194WT.

    Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    editing digital photographic pictures.

    In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    images dark.

    The only thing left is to go to the nVidia Control Panel, and adjust
    gamma within "Desktop color settings". This is very effective, and
    brightens the dark tones... however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    the desktop !?? Are there better ways ? Or, being cheap, the monitor
    does not have a high enough dynamic range for adjustment ??

    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beladi Nasralla wrote:

    > however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > the desktop !??

    Yes.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007

  3. On Aug 17, 12:46 am, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    > > however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > > the desktop !??

    > Yes.

    Why ? I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
    laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
    game had proper tonality, too.

    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    >>> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    >>> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back
    >>> into the desktop !??

    >> Yes.

    > Why ?

    Why are you asking me why?

    > I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
    > laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
    > game had proper tonality, too.

    See? The LT did and the LG L194WT does not. That 'proves' it. One
    does, one does not.

    Would you care to explain why the LT did?

    We are talking about your visual perception difference between two
    monitor screens which I cannot see and you want me to explain why your
    visual perception in one environment requires a particular kind of
    adjustment and not in another.

    How zany is that?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Roman Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    >
    >> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    >> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    >> the desktop !??

    > Yes.

    Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

    Mike Roman, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Beladi Nasralla

    ransley Guest

    On Aug 16, 9:38 am, "Mike Roman" <> wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > > Beladi Nasralla wrote:

    > >> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > >> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > >> the desktop !??

    > > Yes.

    > Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

    Doesnt the game have its own adjustable setting for brightness. There
    may be an updated driver from nvidea or LG

    ransley, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Beladi Nasralla

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    Beladi Nasralla says...
    > I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.

    I have no issues. Must be you.

    --
    Conor

    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein

    Conor, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Beladi Nasralla

    Augustus Guest

    "Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message
    >I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.

    This particular monitor gets pretty good reviews all round for a lower
    priced one. Contrast ratio 2000:1....unlikely that darkness of the images is
    going to be an issue. Very few complaints in many reviews. I'd tend to go
    along with the previous poster and suggest that it's got to be something on
    your end rather than the monitor. Try checking your connection.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/lg-l194wt-flat-panel/4505-3174_7-32154877.html

    Augustus, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Beladi Nasralla

    babaloo Guest

    Personally I find that most first pesron shooters, Doom 3 et al, are
    unplayable in daylight no matter what kind of monitor is used, although you
    can crank up the brightness and gamma within the game itself.
    These games are meant to be dark. The inability to see the images clearly,
    and how cartoonish they are no matter what your video card, is a part of the
    game design.
    Settings you cahnge in the game control panel will apply only to the game.
    Any settings you change on the monitor or in the video driver are global and
    will apply to any program.
    You can create different monitor profiles with a calibration device and with
    the Nvida control panel although I would not recommend it.

    babaloo, Aug 17, 2007
  10. Beladi Nasralla

    Ed Light Guest

    Did you adjust the contrast? On some monitors, you set the dark tones
    where they should be with the brightness, then adjust the light tones
    with the contrast.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Aug 17, 2007
  11. Beladi Nasralla

    D_Mac Guest

    On Aug 17, 1:41 am, Beladi Nasralla <> wrote:
    > I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.
    >
    > The only thing left is to go to the nVidia Control Panel, and adjust
    > gamma within "Desktop color settings". This is very effective, and
    > brightens the dark tones... however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > the desktop !?? Are there better ways ? Or, being cheap, the monitor
    > does not have a high enough dynamic range for adjustment ??

    You need a utility called "Power Strip" It's not free but it access
    your video card directly and there is a utility to walk you through a
    perfect setup for your LCD screen. Use this application and you'll
    have no more problems.

    Doug
    www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com

    D_Mac, Aug 17, 2007
  12. On Aug 17, 1:44 am, ransley <> wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 9:38 am, "Mike Roman" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yes.

    > > Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

    > Doesnt the game have its own adjustable setting for brightness.

    Exactly ! Thank you for pointing this out to me. I forgot about the
    existence of this feature (maybe because I rarely used it). I adjusted
    the gamma for the game HL2, and -- voi-las ! -- the darks are not too
    dark anymore. And I do not need change gamma in nVidia Control Panel
    anymore when I am returning back to the desktop. I guess the darkness
    of images in the photoediting software is less significant and can be
    "healed" by minor changing the brightness/contrast settings in the
    monitor.

    Still... The colours look too contrasty and less narural than in a
    higher-quality LCD monitor I used. I can observe a distinct banding.
    Which is a consequence of this monitor being cheap and nasty TN type.
    Oh well.

    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 17, 2007
  13. Beladi Nasralla

    Jim Guest

    Beladi Nasralla wrote on 8/16/2007 11:41 AM:
    > I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.
    >
    > The only thing left is to go to the nVidia Control Panel, and adjust
    > gamma within "Desktop color settings". This is very effective, and
    > brightens the dark tones... however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > the desktop !?? Are there better ways ? Or, being cheap, the monitor
    > does not have a high enough dynamic range for adjustment ??

    That monitor looks pretty nice based on what I can see. I bought a
    Hanns-G 19" for $100, and it rocks. Best value I have took advantage of.
    Not one dead or stuck pixel and everything looks great.

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 17, 2007
  14. Beladi Nasralla

    gm Guest

    I use http://www.colorvision.com/. You can buy it on eBay and you will use it on all monitors for the rest of your life.

    gm, Aug 17, 2007
  15. Beladi Nasralla

    Augustus Guest

    > Still... The colours look too contrasty and less narural than in a
    > higher-quality LCD monitor I used. I can observe a distinct banding.
    > Which is a consequence of this monitor being cheap and nasty TN type.
    > Oh well.

    I'm curious....what was the brand and model of the high quality LCD you gave
    up to get this one? And why?

    Augustus, Aug 17, 2007
  16. On Aug 17, 7:21 am, "Augustus" <> wrote:
    > "Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > > monitor LG L194WT.

    > > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > > editing digital photographic pictures.

    > > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > > images dark.

    > This particular monitor gets pretty good reviews all round for a lower
    > priced one. Contrast ratio 2000:1....unlikely that darkness of the images is
    > going to be an issue. Very few complaints in many reviews. I'd tend to go
    > along with the previous poster and suggest that it's got to be something on
    > your end rather than the monitor. Try checking your connection.http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/lg-l194wt-flat-panel/4505-3174_7...

    Do you realise that this particular praising review was written by the
    author just after looking at the monitor specifications written on
    paper ? Do you realise that the 2000:1contrast is dynamic one (which
    will be seen only in a "movie" mode), but otherwise it is ol' 700:1
    just like in every other TN monitor. And for your information, this
    same monitor under the same model name is now sold with the sticker
    "5000:1 contrast" and at the same price... wow, don't you feel the
    need to flip back over yourself and get one ?

    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 18, 2007
  17. Beladi Nasralla

    Lief Guest

    "Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message
    RTFM!

    Lief, Aug 19, 2007
  18. Beladi Nasralla

    HandyMan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 03:00:51 GMT, "Lief" <> wrote:

    >"Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message
    >RTFM!

    Unfortunately RTFM doesn't always work.

    I have always prided myself on calibrating most any monitor that has come my
    way. I don't think twice about opening up the back of a CRT and tweaking the
    individual guns and HV section's gain to make sure I get a proper ramp on all
    channels for smooth grays across the board. I mostly do photo editing so I've
    avoided LCD monitors all these years. However I recently bought a lower quality
    LCD Acer AL1706 monitor. An emergency purchase because my last good monitor just
    died and I didn't have a replacement hi-power tranny it needed. Between the
    nVidia control panel, finding an ICM profile for it (or making one), and its own
    built in adjustments this was a real head-scratchier.

    After about 3 days of approaching the adjustments from several directions I
    finally settled on some that I can happily live with. By keeping a nice 2.20
    gamma test graphic open while making the adjustments.

    http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/monitor_gamma/220.png (type in the gamma of
    your choice, "xxx.png", from 100 to 300 in increments of 10)

    Finding the proper settings ended up being a combination of installing a custom
    profile that I found somewhere on Acer's site, nVidia's own desktop controls,
    having to tweak nVidia's blue contrast and gamma separately, along with some
    minor custom white-balance settings on the monitor itself. It wasn't easy but it
    was doable. None of this complex combo of tweaks being contained in any one User
    Manual. Quite frankly, for the low cost ($175) and my time spent I'm getting a
    nicer display on this bargain-level LCD than I have on most CRTs that I've used.
    Some of the purest grays I've ever seen and a nice even ramp from pure black to
    white. Quite impressive. I won't think twice about using this for photo editing
    needs. I think what I found most amazing is that when using some advanced
    monitor testing software I didn't find even one hot, warm, or dead R, G, or B
    pixel across the whole LCD display. How do dey do dat? Applause to their LCD
    component mfg. QC team.

    It's a shame that the makers of these devices don't make things easier for the
    end user. They'd be able to sell so much more of them if everyone could get top
    performance from them right out of the box. Out of the box on its default
    settings this monitor was a disaster. The colors so over-saturated and off, so
    bright and high contrast, that I thought I was having some kind of flashback.
    Most of that due to nVidia's fault.

    HandyMan, Aug 20, 2007
  19. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Roman Guest

    "Lief" <> wrote in message

    > "Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message
    > RTFM!

    Ah, found it at last!

    http://www.altgeek.org/methuselah/rtfm/

    Wunderschon or something...

    Mike Roman, Aug 21, 2007
  20. HandyMan wrote:

    > http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/monitor_gamma/220.png (type in the gamma of
    > your choice, "xxx.png", from 100 to 300 in increments of 10)

    Looks fascinating. How do I use it to correctly calibrate my monitor. I
    suspect I'm over-redded and under-blued.

    Civilian_Target

    Civilian_Target, Aug 21, 2007